Singapore Expats

Buying car in Singapore

Have your burning questions answered relating to buying and selling cars and other vehicles.
bayernaxe

Buying car in Singapore

Post by bayernaxe » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 5:33 pm

Any easy guides to understanding n buying a 2nd hand car.

I am looking to buy something around 45-50k. Can I get a decent car for this budget ?? Or shd i consider spending more ?

thanks

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 6:25 pm

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 7:08 pm

Personally as someone who just sold my car, I'd avoid buying a car in Singapore, it's too damned expensive and people drive like sh**!

But then again, it's only my opinion... Check out the sgcarmart webpage, it's got plenty for that cash, albeit 5-6 years old and driven like sh** for that length of time! ;)
nutnut

iamnorah

Post by iamnorah » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 10:31 am

With all the horror of subway where i would be stack like sardines.
I never regret having a scooter & car .
Yes i agree it expensive.

But i am happy to change a new scooter every 3 years.
[-X my hubb don't understand why; But really It. Its just like shopping to me. :D

My husband managed the car.
ERP price , Petrol price, carpark price & to find parking lot is a killer.
But it is something you have to pay for convenience :cry:
Best Regards
Nura Ashari
[email protected]

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 7:22 pm

Taxi's are convenient. Scooters are probably more so, but as people drive inconsiderately, be prepared to be knocked off your bike!
nutnut

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 09 Sep 2012 9:12 pm

nutnut wrote:Taxi's are convenient. Scooters are probably more so, but as people drive inconsiderately, be prepared to be knocked off your bike!
Not really. Competent riders can do so safely in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Sep 2012 9:55 pm

Was nice seeing 30+ motorcycles heading toward Jurong on the PIE today in the middle lane riding two-up two abreast in a group doing the speed limit. Odd, but nice. They looked Malay, but were riding big bikes (400cc up). I assume were Singapore as the were all F plates. There were some Chinese riders wizzing by what as well, but they were obviously NOT part of the disciplined group as they were in the other lanes of traffic weaving in and out like they normal idjits that they are.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

iamnorah

Post by iamnorah » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:01 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Was nice seeing 30+ motorcycles heading toward Jurong on the PIE today in the middle lane riding two-up two abreast in a group doing the speed limit. Odd, but nice. They looked Malay, but were riding big bikes (400cc up). I assume were Singapore as the were all F plates. There were some Chinese riders wizzing by what as well, but they were obviously NOT part of the disciplined group as they were in the other lanes of traffic weaving in and out like they normal idjits that they are.
oh ya,
It a Sunday Ride, very common in Singapore.
I have seen many now a days.
They are convoying probably the bride/groom to the reception place perhaps for lunch. They usually friends of the wedding couple.
Best Regards
Nura Ashari
[email protected]

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:15 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Was nice seeing 30+ motorcycles heading toward Jurong on the PIE today in the middle lane riding two-up two abreast in a group doing the speed limit. Odd, but nice. They looked Malay, but were riding big bikes (400cc up). I assume were Singapore as the were all F plates. There were some Chinese riders wizzing by what as well, but they were obviously NOT part of the disciplined group as they were in the other lanes of traffic weaving in and out like they normal idjits that they are.
Riding two up is very dangerous, and never recommended for a group ride. I won't do group rides because of the riding skills of some of the riders. Last thing one needs is for an idiot swerving into you two up, trying to avoid a pothole.

jaraad

Re: Buying car in Singapore

Post by jaraad » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 5:37 pm

bayernaxe wrote:Any easy guides to understanding n buying a 2nd hand car.

I am looking to buy something around 45-50k. Can I get a decent car for this budget ?? Or shd i consider spending more ?

thanks
How long are you going to be be here? If its anything more than 1 year, buying is the most cost effective way to go. And you have a comfortable budget, no problem finding one.