Singapore Expats

Full-time live out helper - is this possible?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
JessNew

Full-time live out helper - is this possible?

Post by JessNew » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 8:09 pm

We've just arrived in Singapore and I'm looking to hire a full-time live-out helper for light cleaning and nannying while I freelance from home. I've heard that I can apply to MOM for permission to have a live-out helper, but I'll need to pay the helper's rent (which is no problem). A live-in helper just wouldn't suit our family as we like our privacy. Does anyone have any experience of this? Replies much appreciated!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Full-time live out helper - is this possible?

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 9:11 pm

JessNew wrote:We've just arrived in Singapore and I'm looking to hire a full-time live-out helper for light cleaning and nannying while I freelance from home. I've heard that I can apply to MOM for permission to have a live-out helper, but I'll need to pay the helper's rent (which is no problem). A live-in helper just wouldn't suit our family as we like our privacy. Does anyone have any experience of this? Replies much appreciated!
There are a few landed properties with separate maid quarters (some of the old black and whites have them). That may be a solution.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 9:52 am

JessNew wrote:I've heard that I can apply to MOM for permission to have a live-out helper, but I'll need to pay the helper's rent (which is no problem).
MOM is very strict - from what i know, no such option exists, though some agencies are pulling wool over your eyes..

in effect, they are breaking the law.

You need to find a property, like Offshoreoildude suggests, which gives privacy for the maid, and a few condos do have separate entrance / toilet for maids ..

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:02 am

You could get a local/PR full-time live out nanny of course, will cost a lot more than a live-in from Philippines/Indonesia/Myanmar but then if you don't mind paying rent for one of those girls to live somewhere else (although it's illegal so not an option anyway) I'm sure the extra cost won't be an issue for you
I HAVE MASTERS!