Singapore Expats

Immigration might just be the ticket for the MIW to lose...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Immigration might just be the ticket for the MIW to lose...

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 1:18 am

I am not sure that the party has really picked up the ground swell against it's relaxed views on immigration. I don't think the PM is listening to the push back and his continued harping on integration of FT's is becoming an irritant rather than a salve. To then add insult to injury by calling concerned commentators 'xenophobes' seems to have pushed the issue even further into a possible opposition camp rallying point.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 8:03 am

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/09/11/dp ... framework/

However, DPM Teo reassured Singaporeans that the number of new Singapore ‘citizens’ has remained ‘stable’, at an average of 18,500 per year in the last five years.

Asked by NMP Tan again about whether the same levels of decline can be expected going forward, DPM Teo said the Government was in the process of ‘reviewing’ its immigration policies.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 9:03 am

1 GRC gone was not strong enough to wake them up.

They need another wake up call on GE2016.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:04 am

They just want to ensure that SCs are happy (and again, to reduce sardine pack). It's their job anyway.
"Budget Expat"

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 5:25 pm

therat wrote:1 GRC gone was not strong enough to wake them up.

i think the useless opposition is working that out - hence the sudden finger pointing and shouts of xenophobe at anyone who dare questions the almost unchecked migration.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 8:35 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:

i think the useless opposition is working that out - hence the sudden finger pointing and shouts of xenophobe at anyone who dare questions the almost unchecked migration.
Do you read the comment sections of Blogs and Facebook pages locals frequent? The xenophobia is not made up.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 9:07 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:

Do you read the comment sections of Blogs and Facebook pages locals frequent? The xenophobia is not made up.
Maybe - but is it justified? Perhaps... if I were a Sinkie I'd e

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 9:08 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:

Maybe - but is it justified? Perhaps... if I were a Sinkie I'd be screaming 'freak Off We're Full' as well!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 9:18 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote: i think the useless opposition is working that out - hence the sudden finger pointing and shouts of xenophobe at anyone who dare questions the almost unchecked migration.
Maybe - but is it justified? Perhaps... if I were a Sinkie I'd be screaming 'freak Off We're Full' as well!
No, it's not at all. When foreigners are dying in tragic accidents, people are gloating and cheering for more. It is disgusting.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 9:37 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Do you read the comment sections of Blogs and Facebook pages locals frequent? The xenophobia is not made up.
No, it's not at all. When foreigners are dying in tragic accidents, people are gloating and cheering for more. It is disgusting.
The Ferrari driver's death was Darwinian. No sinkie I knew gloated but a lot were angry at him.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:38 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:

What "unchecked" immigration? Read a few of the posts around here. Tightened regs, SG companies unable to fill S Pass quotas because Singers won't work at the job.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 9:12 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:

What "unchecked" immigration? Read a few of the posts around here. Tightened regs, SG companies unable to fill S Pass quotas because Singers won't work at the job.
Compared to my home country it is still a relatively lax immigration system.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 9:16 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote: Maybe - but is it justified? Perhaps... if I were a Sinkie I'd be screaming 'freak Off We're Full' as well!
The Ferrari driver's death was Darwinian. No sinkie I knew gloated but a lot were angry at him.
I wasn't talking about him. I'm talking about the FDWs found stabbed in hotels in Geylang, the Vietnamese PR (with a child) found floating dead in a condo pool, etc.

And even if we talk about the Ferrari guy, if that had been a SC and/or any other car, the rhetoric would have been significantly lower. In fact, there was a kid (~22ish) maybe six months ago that totaled his Honda Integra somewhere out west, killing his 19yr old girlfriend. High speeds on an empty road late at night. Almost no comments bashing his idiocy, just sympathy postings that he had to live with the thought his gf died.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 9:30 am

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: No, it's not at all. When foreigners are dying in tragic accidents, people are gloating and cheering for more. It is disgusting.
I wasn't talking about him. I'm talking about the FDWs found stabbed in hotels in Geylang, the Vietnamese PR (with a child) found floating dead in a condo pool, etc.

And even if we talk about the Ferrari guy, if that had been a SC and/or any other car, the rhetoric would have been significantly lower. In fact, there was a kid (~22ish) maybe six months ago that totaled his Honda Integra somewhere out west, killing his 19yr old girlfriend. High speeds on an empty road late at night. Almost no comments bashing his idiocy, just sympathy postings that he had to live with the thought his gf died.
Well, life is cheaper in Asia. I have yet to see anyone gloat over a death IRL or even that much online though.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 11:01 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
Well, life is cheaper in Asia. I have yet to see anyone gloat over a death IRL or even that much online though.
All you have to do is read some articles on TR Emeritus, Temasek times, and follow the comments. Or, read the comments on the articles they share on each of their Facebook pages. Or, the general news/chat forums on local sites like asia one, hardware zone, even sammyboy (They all tend to link to each other anyway). I only casually browse those sites, but I see plenty of it there. I'd be quite interested to see examples of *any* news posting about foreigners that doesn't get quite xenophobic. (expat sites exempted of course)