Singapore Expats

Issue with New Employer.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:44 am

ramesh2012 wrote:@Strong Eagle:

If you cannot understand, Better please keep out of this discussion

1) Before i signed the offer the HR told me this is not applicable to me. Then i singed it.
He confirmed me to send it in Email. Then i singed it.
Your logic is very contorted. If it didn't apply to you, then why was it in the letter? Why didn't you ask for a new letter with the terms removed if it didn't apply to you?

See, you were just either stupid or trying to pull a weaselly fast one. Either way, it is your fault and your problem.

And with an attitude like yours, I'm not at all surprised that only a second class employer was willing to pick you up.

ramesh2012

Post by ramesh2012 » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:45 am

@v4jr4 : Thanks for the reply.

Correct. But the only thing what i have got now is my Email which states "As discussed today the the recuirment cost is not applicable to be, Please confirm"

The HR said he did not receive my Email. I sent it the next day as well and to both the Emails he has not replied.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:51 am

One big difference b/w India and Singapore(or any developed country) is that in India, employment contracts are treated like toilet paper, people there sign multiple offer letters and then towards the joining date they choose which company to turn up at, and sometimes they even work there for like a week, see how it goes and then it aint good, they just disappear from there and take up another offer.

The funny thing is, in India, even the employers are prepared for this and hence create enough buffer, lol.

I am not saying Ramesh is trying to cheat here, but he has carried the Indian attitude of not treating the employment contract seriously. In India generally you can trust HR people, but you cannot do that here. Here, if a HR person wants to screw you he will screw you unlike in India where its often the employees who screw the HR.

My suggestion to Ramesh is, forget Indian ways and follow rules. You are on EP and you have no cushion to play play. You will be chuked out 1st thing, if they decide to. You have SIGNED the letter so its your fault, nothing here goes by verbal understanding or trust, whether its employment contract or rental agreement. Everything goes by what is written on paper.
Last edited by revhappy on Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ramesh2012

Post by ramesh2012 » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:53 am

@Strong Eagle :

Again, i am not sure if you know english and you can read things properly.

If it didn't apply to you, then why was it in the letter? Why didn't you ask for a new letter with the terms removed if it didn't apply to you?

This is what HR confirmed he will send an Email. Since it was confirmed that it would be conveyed in mail, i did not ask for a new letter.

Ha ha ha... you are also one among the second class employer.... :)

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:54 am

ramesh2012 wrote:@v4jr4 : Thanks for the reply.

Correct. But the only thing what i have got now is my Email which states "As discussed today the the recuirment cost is not applicable to be, Please confirm"

The HR said he did not receive my Email. I sent it the next day as well and to both the Emails he has not replied.
Unfortunately, this won't work since you're the one who sent the email to confirm you "verbal agreement" with them, not they sent the email to confirm the "verbal agreement". You're in difficult position, even if you try to report it to authority.

"Rice has become porridge." What's done is done. Try to stick around first, unless you have another plan to do.
"Budget Expat"

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:58 am

That's too bad then Ram. Considered lesson learnt.

If this trust issue to very important to you, I suggest you not to continue on. Like zzm said, it is not like you are already planning to leave so soon anyway, is it?

Strong Eagle's words may be harsh to your ears but he has a strong point. The black-and-white still stands, regardless of what transpired between you and the HR (minus the letters). The bog standard is that the one-month-salary rule applies, so if there is any exception, it should be made in writing. Even if the HR promised so, you shouldn't have signed until you see it in black-and-white. Even your email to him doesn't count because you still do not have his words in writing about your exemption.

So with that:

1. You signed documents = You agreed to it. Verbal communications on changes are not counted. Even if you bring it to courts, you will lose.

2. You already have trust issue with the new employer and it looks like they won't do anything in your favour in black-and-white. You still want to start working for them? :0

3. So what if it is one-month salary? Just stick to it for one year and then leave as you rightfully want to.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:00 pm

ramesh2012 wrote:@Strong Eagle :

Again, i am not sure if you know english and you can read things properly.

If it didn't apply to you, then why was it in the letter? Why didn't you ask for a new letter with the terms removed if it didn't apply to you?

This is what HR confirmed he will send an Email. Since it was confirmed that it would be conveyed in mail, i did not ask for a new letter.

Ha ha ha... you are also one among the second class employer.... :)
You are the fellow with the problem, not me. Your actions left you open. Who is it that cannot read English?

ramesh2012

Post by ramesh2012 » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:02 pm

@v4jr4 : Thanks. Will do it.

With People like my new Employer B ,@Strong Eagle and @ offshoreoildude they will continue to cheat public and Strong Eagle,Offshoreoildude cant see the cheating happened here as they do this every day.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:08 pm

ramesh2012 wrote: 1) I was working for a Employer A for past one year.
Unfortunately the contract was outsourced to Philippines. Hence everyone lost the job.

Then you claim that you still have your EP when you were hired by the new company. But apparently you also told us you
ramesh2012 wrote:My Employer B did not tell me that recruitment cost is applicable to me till i cancelled my EP from Employer A.
It was only after my EP cancellation from Employer A i was informed about this.
As it was already in the offer letter, of which you signed (apparently out of fear of not finding a job so all common sense took a vacation (or you have a masters) ;-) You have executed the worst possible Faux Pas possible, you sign something and then tried to negotiate AFTER signing the contract. From that point, you are to blame for your problems.
ramesh2012 wrote: It was mentioned in the offer letter that if i leave the company in a year i have to pay the recruitment cost which is equivalent to one month Salary.
As the recruiter charges the company a fee, then why shouldn't the company put a codicol on your employment. This is normal and often is upwards of three months salary. You were luckly they were only asking for one month salary.
ramesh2012 wrote: I signed it based on the confirmation from HR that this is not applicable to me and I was informed that this would be communicated in mail.
Frankly, anybody in their right mind would have never signed something that needed to be changed. Doesn't make sense to sign two different contracts, does it.

If you haven't started your contract, it's not enforceable, so you can thank your lucky stars. I have to admit, the HR department was not very professional and it's possible that the owner knows nothing of their doing. Some HR people are ruthless and cannot be trusted either. But you attitude is nothing short of abysmal, you wouldn't last a week in my company before being thrown out, based on your hat in hand approach here.

Yes, OffshoreOilDude was a bit out of hand, but Strong Eagle is a moderator and you are just lucky you can still post.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ramesh2012

Post by ramesh2012 » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:10 pm

@the lynx :

Thanks again for the replies.

I am intereted in maintaining a long term relation with the Employer. But with Such suprises it makes me really hard to move forward.
But will have to bare this pain.

I dont have any such plans for leaving the company in a year.. It is only the trust which the employer broke makes me uncomfortable and
thinking to stay here for a long term makes me scary.

Anyways i will join the employer on Sep 17th and leave the rest to god. Hope the employer does not create any more problems.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:12 pm

Welcome to Monday, where resistance is futile.

"I say, find right medicine. Bitterness must be just right for problem. Then swallow it, think of good things can do when no longer sick." ~ Lydia Kwa
"Budget Expat"

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:14 pm

You can call it cheating if you desire, but they may well have been overridden by their boss. You were just stupid to sign a contract BEFORE the changes were done. You needed them a whole lot more than they need you. They know that. You should. There is a reason for written contracts. The whole world knows that, except, possibly those from India, as revhappy has said.

Hopefully, you have learned a lesson.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ramesh2012

Post by ramesh2012 » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:22 pm

@ sundaymorningstaple. Thanks for your reply.

Being a moderator, it is the duty to make sure people talk professionally, so that the forum remains healthy.

Being the moderator does given any rights to speak in a unprofessional way.

I respect the people who respect me. You can see my replies.

And about my attitude, i have served long long terms in many companies.
hence i need not prove it to you.

ramesh2012

Post by ramesh2012 » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:32 pm

Thanks for the well wishers and their replies.

And for others try to change ur attitude. It is because of this the world is having a problem today.

Be considerate to other humans. Being polite and human.

Being a moderator or any big guy does not gives you the freedom to talk what ever you want with others.

The others can also do the same on you. Remember that !!!

Give respect to any human being and receive the same.

Dont be an Animal .

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bluenose » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:37 pm

You stated...You have served long,long terms in many companies either makes you very old or not really knowledgable of true english :wink: