Singapore Expats

Expat packages for singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
legendmo

Expat packages for singapore

Post by legendmo » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 5:30 pm

I am currently looking at a proposed role at a Directors level in the area of venue management in Singapore. The company has asked me for what I am earning now, i am in the middle east and what are my expectations for a package.
I understand they will not match what I am on now. However can people give me an idea about expat packlages and what is included, base salary, housing allowance, transport allowance, communications allowance, re location costs, annual airfares, health. I have no children just my self and my wife.
I would like to live in a two or three bedroom apartment of cluster home, plus have a normal lifestyle, dinner sometimes out etc. So any help, answers, numbers etc would be great.
Cheers
Legendmo

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 4:01 pm

As local salary levels are approaching Western levels (and there's no "hardship" to be found in living here), "expat" packages are getting rarer in Singapore.
Furthermore, there has never been a "standard" - every company made their own rules and most things were/are up for negotiationa anyway.
If they offer you a housing allowance, make sure it's enough to cover the cost of your intended accommodation (rents are very high).
You probably won't get transport allowance high enough to afford a car (which is terribly expensive) - but you also don't need one in Singapore.
I personally would prefer a higher "base" salary with no allowances, so I could decide what to spend for what (and keep the balance if I save). Tax-wise the two are treated the same anyway.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 4:59 pm

Some companies will pay allowances straight to you whether you use them or not. For example, my transportation allowance is just tacked on like normal income. As Beppi said, I pay full tax on it. However, it does NOT count towards salary for other purposes. This can cut both ways, as a higher salary tends to affect your approval chances for EPs and later for PR. However if you become PR or SG, there are certain subsidized programs that a higher salary will disqualify you from. I'm guessing if you're relocating from the Middle East and trying to negotiate an expat package, you're over those amounts anyway, but it is worth mentioning.

legendmo

Expat Package

Post by legendmo » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks to you both, is a salary package of 16,000SDG all up plus air fares, medical, and other benefits a good package.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Expat Package

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 5:45 pm

legendmo wrote:Thanks to you both, is a salary package of 16,000SDG all up plus air fares, medical, and other benefits a good package.
That is more than most of the population lives, but it depends on your life style. Rent will set you back anywhere from $3k-$30k per month, but never fear, most places will be under $12k :lol:

legendmo

expat package

Post by legendmo » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 7:18 pm

So could you give me an idea about average rent for a two bedroom style aparment, furnished in a complex with a pool and gym, plus cost for power,internet, cable tv, cost of food, travel,medical coverage x 2 adult,eating out,entert etc plus a name of an area close to the Indoor Stad and sports hub.

Lots of questions so thanks to anyone who can fill in the gaps and yes I have looked at other web sitesfor info. It is always good to get as much info as you can.
Cheers

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 7:49 pm

Lots of information that answers your questions is already available on this forum, as the exact same topic is discussed several times a week.
In short: The range of everything you ask for is wide (e.g. rent for a 2-bedroom S$2500-12000/month, eating out S$3-200/person) and only you can decide which level of luxury and price you want or need.
The Search function is above at the right.
If you then still have specific questions, you are welcome to post them here.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 8:27 pm

For the indoor stadium, and look at East Coast, Tanjong Katong, Tanjong Rhu, and maybe Siglap. Districts 15 and 16. You should be able to find a condo in those areas meeting your requirements for 4k-6k if you shop around. Maybe even a bit under 4.

Everything else you ask has been discussed into the ground as beppi said. $100 a month if you never use a/c, $500+ if you never turn it off. Internet tv and mobile prices are posted by package. Just Google and pick what suits your fancy.

BJ

Expat Package

Post by BJ » Thu, 06 Sep 2012 10:16 pm

Dear Legendmo, Beppi, ZZM9980,

I'd greatly appreciate your help. I'm in the US, and actively looking for a job opportunity in Singapore. My question is that I am in the final stages of Director of Revenue Management job offer from a company that is willing to pay an Expat Package but the net salary would be only USD$60K per year.

1. Is this a good net salary from Singapore standard?
2. What does an Expat Package include? Or the better question is what is "need to have" items in the Expat package that I must ask for?
3. What are the "nice to have but not critical" items of the Expat Package?

Really appreciate your assistance.
Thank you.

BJ

Expat Package

Post by BJ » Thu, 06 Sep 2012 10:20 pm

Dear Legendmo, Beppi, ZZM9980,

I'd greatly appreciate your help. I'm in the US, and actively looking for a job opportunity in Singapore. My question is that I am in the final stages of Director of Revenue Management job offer from a company that is willing to pay an Expat Package but the net salary would be only USD$60K per year.

2. What does an Expat Package include? Or the better question is what is "need to have" items in the Expat package that I must ask for?

Thank you.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 06 Sep 2012 10:36 pm

1. Without knowing your industry (and salary levels there), plus your exact job scope and skills (rare in Singapore?), it is difficult to tell. It is much higher than the average Singaporean pay, but roughly what I would expect for a local in such a position.

2. There is no standard Expat package, everything is up to negotiation. Focus on the "expensive" items: Housing allowance and company car - chances are you'll get the former (S$4000-6000/month are appropriate if you come with family), but not the latter. International School fees are a must if you have kids.

3. Transport allowance, home trips, health insurance, there's space to be creative here (I even heard of "hardship allowance" although I have yet to figure out where the hardship of living in Singapore lies). But I'd rather take a higher basic salary and decide myself what I spend on such items.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 07 Sep 2012 10:57 am

BJ wrote:Dear Legendmo, Beppi, ZZM9980,

Thank you.
If you're 'expat package' pays for almost every other major expense, that will be comfortable to live on.

Major expenses:

Home - Rent, utility bills, etc.

Transportation - If you want a car, go to sgcarmart to get an estimated monthly payment. Then add ~10-20% for petrol, parking, ERP, Road Tax, Insurance. For public trans (minus taxis), anywhere from 60-150/month.

Education for children - pricey.

Airfare home/somewhere - Seems like a luxury, but many 'expat packages' can include this. S$2000/person is an average round-trip discounted economy airfare on SQ or CX back to the US west coast. Then you have hotels, other costs, etc.

Like Beppi mentioned, most people don't get 'expat packages' anymore. We instead opt for very high salary, then live frugally (at least I do).

BJ

Expat Package

Post by BJ » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 2:46 am

Dear Beppi and ZZM980 - Thanks for your reply and the detailed information. I get it that House Rental and Utility Allowance is something that I should try to push for and potentially the Car Allowance as well.

The job offer I have is in the Hotel Industry. I do not have kids. It's just my partner and I.
a) Is this salary of USD60K Net good enough with this additional information?
b) Do you think locals make the same amount of money for Director of Revenue Management position at a hotel?
c) As I understand the expat package that my employer was alluding to was related to Taxes being taken care of by them. Do you know anything about how taxes are taken care of by the employers in the Expat Package?

Thank you very much in advance!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 4:04 am

Income tax is very low in Singapore, so that's not much of a benefit.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 8:35 am

BJ wrote: c) As I understand the expat package that my employer was alluding to was related to Taxes being taken care of by them. Do you know anything about how taxes are taken care of by the employers in the Expat Package?
My "package" had taxes taken care of, and in that case it meant they hired PWC to do the taxes for me. It can be a little complicated your first year in Singapore, especially if you worked part of the year in say the US. For various reasons I didn't use this service, and just hired Artio (they advertise on these forums). Everything for an American citizen was a bit under USD$500. To me it was worth it for my first partial year here.

As Beppi mentioned, income tax on $60k will be very low. Like S$3000 or less.

So figure out what they meant by taking care of "taxes" and use those above guides.