Singapore Expats

PR Rejected after 6 months of waiting

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 1:01 pm

Actually, there is one potential drawback. If you ride on a PEP for 5 years, there is always the possibility that, not having applied for PR before the end of it, once you reapply for the EP, there is a chance that the EP may not be renewed. Could be because of tightening of criteria or any number of reasons. Five years is a long time and considering how much has changed in 6 months..... Slim chance, but it is there nonetheless.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 2:13 pm

revhappy wrote:An Indonesian chinese on Q2 pass completes 2 years here applies for PR, will most likely get it. But surely wont get the PEP.
Well there is no Q2 anymore. And I seriously doubt even a non-PRC ethnic Chinese earning under $3400/month will get a PR in 2 years.

Anyway, be as pedantic as you want, but we know he is Indian, we know he is on a P1, and we know he's worried about getting the boot if he loses his job, so my original advice stands:
vishalgupta2 wrote:
My problem is it's very stressful to live in uncertainity of whether I will be able to renew my Visa and reluctance of many employers in hiring Non PRs/SCs.

Get a PEP then. If you're rejected for a PEP, you'd have no chance for a PR anyway.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 10:27 pm

revhappy wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:My problem is it's very stressful to live in uncertainity of whether I will be able to renew my Visa and reluctance of many employers in hiring Non PRs/SCs.
Get a PEP then. If you're rejected for a PEP, you'd have no chance for a PR anyway.
But then PEP doesnt help you save the 10% ABSS :P
I am not worried about 10% ABSS, at this point my core thing is more about uncertainity/instability of EP.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 10:30 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
revhappy wrote:There you go!
http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.as ... c=business

With banks moving IT jobs to India and Poland, what use would a PR be to Indians anyways, as it is the market is so tiny here. Its only going to shrink further.
It makes sense to me. India will be less expensive, and give almost the same quality as you get in Singapore. Poland will give you a much higher quality work force, and I can't imagine costs would be much higher than Singapore. Plus, same/close time-zone to Zurich.
Well, this is the part I disagree with. I have my reasons more around safety/security because of which I don't want to be in India. Anyone who has seen any Indian new channel for a few hours in last few months knows what I mean.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 10:55 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
revhappy wrote:An Indonesian chinese on Q2 pass completes 2 years here applies for PR, will most likely get it. But surely wont get the PEP.
Well there is no Q2 anymore. And I seriously doubt even a non-PRC ethnic Chinese earning under $3400/month will get a PR in 2 years.
This is exactly my concern. Things may become more difficult in next few years.

I agree with the suggestions about PEP and that is what I will do in November once I have 3 paystubs with the annual paycheck raise that I just got.

I will probably have 2 things to add to my existing profile when requesting a PEP:
1. Compensation up from 180k to 210k
2. A patent approval (I promise it's NOT like a rectangle with round edges)

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 8:51 am

Just to let you guys know, PEP is no longer easy to get as before, I know people who tried to apply recently after getting their PR rejected failed even though they met criteria on the face. Perhaps when most banks are starting to move back office including IT out of Singapore, the Indian population here will not be so crowded and it may be easier to get Passes and PR again even for Indians

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 8:54 am

vishalgupta2 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

With banks moving IT jobs to India and Poland, what use would a PR be to Indians anyways, as it is the market is so tiny here. Its only going to shrink further.
It makes sense to me. India will be less expensive, and give almost the same quality as you get in Singapore. Poland will give you a much higher quality work force, and I can't imagine costs would be much higher than Singapore. Plus, same/close time-zone to Zurich.
Well, this is the part I disagree with. I have my reasons more around safety/security because of which I don't want to be in India. Anyone who has seen any Indian new channel for a few hours in last few months knows what I mean.
I meant it made sense from the MNC's perspective.

I've tried to watch Indian news channels, but I get a headache. They have too much stuff going on, four different people talking in different quadrants of the screen screaming at each other with half a dozen tickers at various speeds. It reminds me of this:

ImageImageImage

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 8:59 am

On the other hand as Banks relocating IT staff to India, more people will apply for PEP to buy sometime to get another job and stay back in Singapore, the quota for PEP may be used up very fast soon because all Indians want to work in Singapore instead of being relocated back home. So whoever qualifiy now should apply as soon as possible to seize the opportunity, this is exactly like the snake queue of people applying for PR in 2009 when recession came and people fear of their jobs

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 9:20 am

lolipop99, FT have been doing that since the inception of the PEP 5 years ago. It had ramped up around the end of 2010 due to the xenophobia even before the GE happened (during the run up to the GE) There is no longer any "seizing" of any opportunity as it were.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 9:50 am

But at least they have not stopped the PEP pass like they did with the employment pass eligibility certificate. What I mean is that there is still an opportunity to secure 5 years and change to good jobs in Singapore untill they close this pass altogether

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 12:48 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

The safety and security in India is similar to the rest of the world. SG is an exception, because it is a sterilised environment. It looks great in the beginning, its only after a few years that you realise what you and your kids missed living in a safe and sterilised environment. Both have positives and negatives.

Don't go by the talk on media about India, few years ago India was touted as the crown jewel in emerging markets and now all of a sudden it's the opposite. Few years back it was overhype on the upside and now it's overhype on the downside.
Last edited by revhappy on Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 10:24 pm

revhappy wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: It makes sense to me. India will be less expensive, and give almost the same quality as you get in Singapore. Poland will give you a much higher quality work force, and I can't imagine costs would be much higher than Singapore. Plus, same/close time-zone to Zurich.
The safety and security in India is similar to the rest of the world. SG is an exception, because it is a sterilised environment. It looks great in the beginning, its only after a few years that you realise what you and your kids missed living in a safe and sterilised environment. Both have positives and negatives.

Don't go by the talk on media about India, few years ago India was touted as the crown jewel in emerging markets and now all of a sudden it's the opposite. Few years back it was overhype on the upside and now it's overhype on the downside.
I am NOT going by the media. I have seen things happening to people I know personally. One of my very close friend from my school nearly got kidnapped in Noida earlier this year. It was about 7 PM on a summer day when she went out to get groceries like 1/4 mile off her home and some guys nearly pulled her into their car. She was lucky to get off. Cops declined to even take a complaint.

In another incident last year parents of one of my co-worker (we worked together at Adobe, CA) were stabbed in the middle of a crowded market.

If that was not enough, my dad was actually killed in a road rage (NOT road accident) many years back in India.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 10:26 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: It makes sense to me. India will be less expensive, and give almost the same quality as you get in Singapore. Poland will give you a much higher quality work force, and I can't imagine costs would be much higher than Singapore. Plus, same/close time-zone to Zurich.
I meant it made sense from the MNC's perspective.

I've tried to watch Indian news channels, but I get a headache. They have too much stuff going on, four different people talking in different quadrants of the screen screaming at each other with half a dozen tickers at various speeds. It reminds me of this:

ImageImageImage
Spot ON. Bingo