Singapore Expats

Airbus 380 is unsafe

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
IOP
Regular
Regular

Airbus 380 is unsafe

Post by IOP » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 3:41 pm

Interestingly, he says that the one aircraft that all pilots he has met dislike unanimously is the Airbus 380. "We think it hasn't been tested enough, and that it's simply not as safe."

http://www.cnngo.com/seoul/visit/interv ... lot-975762

What is your opinion?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 3:59 pm

My opinion is that no one on this forum is qualified to actually have an informed opinion on this topic :D

That said, I prefer Boeing usually, except for the single-aisle short-haul A319/320/321 being nicer than the 737. Of course, that could be because the airlines I'm used to flying the 737 tend to be US domestic, and all of the Airbuses are Dragonair or SilkAir, which blow away US domestic.

IOP
Regular
Regular

Post by IOP » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 4:03 pm

zzm9980 wrote:My opinion is that no one on this forum is qualified to actually have an informed opinion on this topic :D

That said, I prefer Boeing usually, except for the single-aisle short-haul A319/320/321 being nicer than the 737. Of course, that could be because the airlines I'm used to flying the 737 tend to be US domestic, and all of the Airbuses are Dragonair or SilkAir, which blow away US domestic.
For me it is just like new entertainment with traveling to space from Richard Branson - it has not been tested enough, hence expect high probability of incidents. Nowadays flying with standard Boings and Airbuses is very safe, but it took 30-40 years to come to this point.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 4:22 pm

Can't I have a opinion? I used to be a military pilot. :P

Albeit, not fixed wing, but rotary wing. :( :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 4:28 pm

This tidbit is more interesting, really:
The pilot and the copilot, according to Han, eat different meals. Usually the pilot gets the first class meal and the copilot the business class meal.

"This is just in case one of the meals might cause food poisoning," says Han.
Makes sense. Have you seen "Airplane"?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Airbus 380 is unsafe

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 5:29 pm

IOP wrote:Interestingly, he says that the one aircraft that all pilots he has met dislike unanimously is the Airbus 380. "We think it hasn't been tested enough, and that it's simply not as safe."

http://www.cnngo.com/seoul/visit/interv ... lot-975762

What is your opinion?
This statement really isn't supported by the facts. The plane has had exactly one incident/accident (the turbine failure on a Qantas A380 over Batam island). No crashes, no loss of lives.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 5:41 pm

Does it need to crash to been deemed unsafe as a grouse by a pilot. It might be a difficult plane in certain circumstances and might not have crashed solely due to the expertise of the pilots. If it's a difficult plane it could be inherently unsafe but still accident free.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 5:54 pm

If it was "not tested enough" it does not mean it is unsafe. It means there is a risk something was overlooked.

Was Airbus doing fine as a company at the time the A380 was "released"? I mean profits etc? IIRC they had substantial delays.

IOP
Regular
Regular

Post by IOP » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 6:37 pm

Aircrafts like this one should be extremelly safe
and provides seating for 525 people in a typical three-class configuration or up to 853 people in all-economy class configurations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbus_A380

Because the carry lots of passengers. Can you, guys, imagine a single crash with 853 people on board? It will be a huge disaster.

And also wing cracks issue...

During repairs following the Qantas Flight 32 engine failure incident, cracks were discovered in fittings within the wings.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -firm.html

Personally, I think A380 is quite safe, but I prefer to fly extremely safe airplanes like some types of Boeing.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 7:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Does it need to crash to been deemed unsafe as a grouse by a pilot. It might be a difficult plane in certain circumstances and might not have crashed solely due to the expertise of the pilots. If it's a difficult plane it could be inherently unsafe but still accident free.
True. At the same time, all the Airbus planes are fly by wire, with similar cockpit glass and operating characteristics from the A320 on up. As a matter of fact, when reading PPrune, primary complaints about Airbus, all types, seem to be the various lockouts and limiters depending upon flight condition.

I would wholly agree with your statement when it comes to the DC 10... very high wing loading and flaking handling characteristics.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 8:14 pm

If we're going to criticize Airbus, best to read this article for plenty fo ammo :cool:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/world ... ckpit.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technol ... y-10487501

While primary cause may have been improperly trained pilots, SE is right about flight control laws being goofy. Well, it at least seems goofy to me since it seems to have strongly contributed to crashing AF447, but then I'm not a pilot.

teck21
Chatter
Chatter

Post by teck21 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 10:02 pm

nakatago wrote:This tidbit is more interesting, really:
The pilot and the copilot, according to Han, eat different meals. Usually the pilot gets the first class meal and the copilot the business class meal.

"This is just in case one of the meals might cause food poisoning," says Han.
Makes sense. Have you seen "Airplane"?
Hmm, I heard from a friend who's been working as a flight attendant for what seems to have been his entire lifetime, and that is the pilots actually do not eat the same meals as passengers at all.

That their food is a totally separate from anything passengers eat, even from the preparation stage.

Don't know anything about aeroplane safety mechanics, but as a pure cattle class passenger, I have nothing but praise for the 380.

And all flight crew apparently hate the A380, if nothing else because they actually need to learn new stuff!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 12:00 am

IOP, why do you insist on coming out with wild statements like "Airbus 380 is unsafe", when you have absolutely no evidence to support that assertion? This is just like the earlier thread when you made various bizzare statements about Scoot. What are you trying to achieve by this?
Be careful what you wish for

IOP
Regular
Regular

Post by IOP » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 8:54 am

Mi Amigo wrote:IOP, why do you insist on coming out with wild statements like "Airbus 380 is unsafe", when you have absolutely no evidence to support that assertion? This is just like the earlier thread when you made various bizzare statements about Scoot. What are you trying to achieve by this?
Mi Amigo, your question seems to me quite strange. I just asked to discuss.
The statement "... is unsafe" - it is what pilot says (see the article), not me.

various bizzare statements about Scoot
I'm going to fly Scoot this year, and also I frequently fly with SIA. And yes, it is true, that I like Boeings compare to Airbuses, because lots of pilots says that new models are better than Airbuses.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 10:50 am

Thanks IOP, next time I have to fly with business on the A380, I will be terrified that it's not safe! Perfect, my choice is limited by my company using solely SIA and the fact they run A380's on some of the routes I need to take.

As if I didn't dislike flying enough already. :( :(
nutnut

Return to “General Discussions”