Singapore Expats

Removing old aircon

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Removing old aircon

Post by Splatted » Sun, 02 Sep 2012 2:57 am

Our HDB flat has an old-style aircon that sits in a rectangle hole in the wall, underneath the window.

Recently the neighbours below have complained to HDB about our aircon dripping on theirs and that now mould is growing on their aircon.

My reply to HDB was that we intended on eventually replacing the aircon with a new split system, but HDB have sent a warning letter in the mail saying to rectify the problem within 14 days and for us not to use the aircon in the mean-time.

Two questions I want to ask are , are there any consequences if we ignore HDB's letter? No penalties for non-compliance are mentioned in the HDB letter.

The second question is, what's the best price anyone here has been quoted for professional aircon deinstallation and removal? The $150-$200 price quoted to us seems rather steep.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Sep 2012 1:19 pm

Penalties

Under the Building Control Act, improper installation of air-conditioner units carries a maximum fine of up to S$5,000 or a jail-term of up to 6 months or both. Flat owners can also be penalised under the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act if an air-conditioner falls because of improper maintenance.
http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf ... enDocument
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sun, 02 Sep 2012 11:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Penalties

Under the Building Control Act, improper installation of air-conditioner units carries a maximum fine of up to S$5,000 or a jail-term of up to 6 months or both. Flat owners can also be penalised under the Building Maintenance and Strata Management Act if an air-conditioner falls because of improper maintenance.
http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf ... enDocument
Thanks SMS, I did already see this in my own attempt to find more info, but it seems the first half refers to "improper installation" , going by the photos they used as examples, rather than "improper maintenance" .

The latter part refers to falling aircons.

Was hoping someone had any first hand, or even second hand info of anyone being fined for a drippy aircon.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Sep 2012 11:53 pm

My reading was more like the local gahmen's way of writing. A drippy Aircon could easily be from either improper maintenance or improper installation that caused it to become drippy. That's why most government documents are somewhat ambiguous to get them the leeway to interpret any number of ways. Just like MOM does with EP criteria. I don't have aircon so can't give any 1st had evidence one way or the other.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 12:00 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:My reading was more like the local gahmen's way of writing. A drippy Aircon could easily be from either improper maintenance or improper installation that caused it to become drippy. That's why most government documents are somewhat ambiguous to get them the leeway to interpret any number of ways. Just like MOM does with EP criteria. I don't have aircon so can't give any 1st had evidence one way or the other.
noted! oh dear.

But one thing in my favour, if they do try to use the 'improper installation' excuse....... this flat was bought by us at the end of last year, and before handover required an inspection by HDB.

It turns out that the person sending us this letter asking us to stop using the aircon is the same person who's name is on the flat inspection report.

Surely, if she was doing her job properly she would have picked up any problems with the installation 9 months ago. I know for a fact, it's been dripping from day one after we moved in.