Singapore Expats

My son is slowly failing in the Singaproe school system...

Discuss various International School options for your children here.
nakatago

Re: My son is slowly failing in the Singaproe school system.

Post by nakatago » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 3:45 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:What are my options?

He's 11, Australian born Aussie citizen but also a SC. Currently in a local school and really not doing well. He's inattentive and bored to put it bluntly. We've tried after school tuition and more recently in the last two terms a private tutor (gave up on the tuition centre). He's not stupid but no longer engaged in learning.

He hates Malay (his M/T) and I'm divorced from his mother which adds difficulty. I'm considering enrolling him the Australian school. Any other ideas?
Inattentive and bored? How so? The teachers are too "stiff" or what? Or is it because of strict competition?

Not sure if it's related, but some of my relatives said that it's easier to study in Aussie rather than in Singapore. Is that true?
Most likely the teachers are just not engaging. I was inattentive and bored too during primary school.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 3:54 pm

His doodling on the desk out of boredom became a passion as a cartoonist. :cool: Being a code monkey only puts bacon on the table and pays the rent! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 4:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:His doodling on the desk out of boredom became a passion as a cartoonist. :cool: Being a code monkey only puts bacon on the table and pays the rent! :lol:
My cousins who inherited my text books said they liked the flip cartoons I left in the margins :P
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 4:17 pm

nakatago wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:His doodling on the desk out of boredom became a passion as a cartoonist. :cool: Being a code monkey only puts bacon on the table and pays the rent! :lol:
My cousins who inherited my text books said they liked the flip cartoons I left in the margins :P
Haha I used to do that too! Flip cartoon with stick men!

And yeah school was so boring and uninspiring that a teacher could make a game of tossing chalks at me whenever I fell asleep in her class.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 5:32 pm

scarbowl wrote:Send him to Marlborough or Raffles in Iskandar. Doesn't require MOE approval for that. Leave him a few years and then obtain MOE approval for an International School as he has been educated outside of Singapore for a few years. OR....let him remain there.
That's no a bad idea. The idea of a boarding type school has been on our minds.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 6:29 pm

Depending on where you live (I assume somewhere near the west since you are in Oil and Gas) then the Marlboro school is just across 2nd link, very easy to get to, maybe don't need to board.
nutnut

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 6:47 pm

I've heard stories of a (local) school in Singapore that's a bit better with kids like my son.... anyone know of any?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 7:36 pm

Your son is failing , methinks due the different education system and curriculum. Oz has a different standard. For a SG child to study in OZ it will be a breeze as OZ has much lower emphasis on academic focus and are more broad based. It will be harder for your child coming from OZ to study in SG. The best way is to have an integration period for the child or put your child in a lower level against his age. His age peers in SG will be at a different speed and he will find it hard to comprehend. This takes time.
Private school will be one option as said by others but does not necessarily be AIS though. Scout around for those that offers similar to public school but more on helping and guiding specific to your child's need to cope with the local education.
If you have the juice, there are a number of institutions that offer these
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 8:29 pm

I don't think the OP's has ever gone to school in Australia as OP has been in Singapore for 20 years. He an old timer like me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 9:38 pm

My son has been in the Singapore system from 2 yo. When I say he is 'failing' I really should clarify and say that his grades have been on a downward slide for the last few years since P3. I am wondering if anyone knows a good child psych? I need to get in his head somehow and work out what's going on?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 10:54 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:My son has been in the Singapore system from 2 yo. When I say he is 'failing' I really should clarify and say that his grades have been on a downward slide for the last few years since P3. I am wondering if anyone knows a good child psych? I need to get in his head somehow and work out what's going on?
Probably some learning disability. Gotta have it verified by expert although I do not have anyone in my mind to recommend for you.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:06 pm

Good idea to find a psychologist. The situation may not have anything to do with the school or learning. The divorce being a big red flag.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:34 pm

OSOD - You have mail.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Sat, 01 Sep 2012 10:59 am

the lynx wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:My son has been in the Singapore system from 2 yo. When I say he is 'failing' I really should clarify and say that his grades have been on a downward slide for the last few years since P3. I am wondering if anyone knows a good child psych? I need to get in his head somehow and work out what's going on?
Probably some learning disability. Gotta have it verified by expert although I do not have anyone in my mind to recommend for you.
Or perhaps, puberty?
"Budget Expat"

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 01 Sep 2012 7:27 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Or perhaps, puberty?
The thought has crossed my mind....