Singapore Expats

Carrefour Leaving Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Re: Carrefour Leaving Singapore

Post by x9200 » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:36 pm

Travailes wrote:Gutted. I'm going to miss the choice of French goods they always used to stock at both stores and reasonable prices compared to their competitors. Just bought a load of rose champagne at SG34 a bottle. It's not Bolly but perfectly drinkable.
If you are into that kind of stuff then better look for Domaine Chandon (~$S40 in CS, brut NV regular and rose). It is established by M&C, have their wineries in Australia and the quality is (at least for me) indistinguishable from M&C.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 2:20 pm

x9200 wrote:
Travailes wrote:Gutted. I'm going to miss the choice of French goods they always used to stock at both stores and reasonable prices compared to their competitors. Just bought a load of rose champagne at SG34 a bottle. It's not Bolly but perfectly drinkable.
If you are into that kind of stuff then better look for Domaine Chandon (~$S40 in CS, brut NV regular and rose). It is established by M&C, have their wineries in Australia and the quality is (at least for me) indistinguishable from M&C.
This stuff also retails under the 'Green Point' brand. Agree with your recommendation.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 4:57 pm

Oh, I did know about Green Point. Thanks for the tip.

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter

Post by snowqueen » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 9:43 pm

I for one think it's quite sad they are going, I've often shopped at the Suntec store and they sometimes have some quite good deals on. Must stock up on PG tips before they go.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 9:44 am

Dunno, I see Carrefour and Giant as being at very different levels of quality.

Having options is good, different stores have different things. having less choice is not good. There are definitely things I like about Carrefour and will not like seeing them go.

Totally disagree about the comparison with Cold Storage except the cost.

Any info on the timeframe?
the lynx wrote:
Travailes wrote:Gutted. I'm going to miss the choice of French goods they always used to stock at both stores and reasonable prices compared to their competitors.
Won't feel too sad to see Carrefour gone, but won't be jubilant either. While their stock is generally okay, I don't like what I see at the spots where they sell prepared food (bread, deli, seafood). :-|

Giant is just as bad, if not worse.

Cold Storage is still better than both but that comes with higher price tag.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:22 am

The news said by year end.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:00 pm

Wonder if they will be having a 'liquidation sale - everything must go' ! Makes no sense to ship back to France.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 1:01 pm

Travailes wrote:Wonder if they will be having a 'liquidation sale - everything must go' ! Makes no sense to ship back to France.
Was just there this Sunday. They've started on the wine.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 1:37 pm

nakatago wrote:
Travailes wrote:Wonder if they will be having a 'liquidation sale - everything must go' ! Makes no sense to ship back to France.

Is that a joke......or what you meant by a liquidation sale? :lol:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 1:45 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
nakatago wrote:

They've started putting wine on promotion.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 7:18 pm

that, or drinking themselves under in commiseration, working their way to the vodka....
ScoobyDoes wrote:
nakatago wrote: