Singapore Expats

Travel insurance required for 1 day JB trip?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:56 am

the lynx wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:We head over every 6-8wks for exactly that.....stocking up, and a nice cheap lunch. Hit Tebrau where both Jusco and Tesco are within walking distance of each other.
I personally prefer Tebrau City too, that's the cleanest and most spacious mall around, and fuss-free too (parking per entry, free use of washroom, all ATMs, mobile phone charging port). And yes, Tesco is so close by too.

Plus they have about 4 petrol stations on your way up and on your way down to CIQ too.

I park at Tesco...... because that's where we shop (not cause it's free :wink: ) and don't bother to stop for Petrol on the way back. The fact we have to head out with 3/4 tank of petrol on the way out doesn't make it any useful to top up so little on such a short trip, though of course I always do on the trips back down from KL.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Jabbey

Post by Jabbey » Tue, 28 Aug 2012 5:07 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
the lynx wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:We head over every 6-8wks for exactly that.....stocking up, and a nice cheap lunch. Hit Tebrau where both Jusco and Tesco are within walking distance of each other.
I personally prefer Tebrau City too, that's the cleanest and most spacious mall around, and fuss-free too (parking per entry, free use of washroom, all ATMs, mobile phone charging port). And yes, Tesco is so close by too.

Plus they have about 4 petrol stations on your way up and on your way down to CIQ too.

I park at Tesco...... because that's where we shop (not cause it's free :wink: ) and don't bother to stop for Petrol on the way back. The fact we have to head out with 3/4 tank of petrol on the way out doesn't make it any useful to top up so little on such a short trip, though of course I always do on the trips back down from KL.
I will most likely be taking a bus into Johor Bahru since it's my first time in. There is a bus from Kranji that will take passengers across the causeway right?

Approximately how long will it take to reach Tebrau City by taxi? I've heard that it's quite hard to find a taxi that runs by meter in Johor Bahru. Is this true?

The Lynx, where do you recommend I visit to eat the local food? Would RM 250 should be sufficient for food and shopping for 4 people?

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Tue, 28 Aug 2012 9:40 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:I park at Tesco...... because that's where we shop (not cause it's free :wink: ) and don't bother to stop for Petrol on the way back. The fact we have to head out with 3/4 tank of petrol on the way out doesn't make it any useful to top up so little on such a short trip, though of course I always do on the trips back down from KL.
who said anything about having 3/4 tank of petrol? i dont tend to believe that every car follows the 3/4 rule. personally, i always go in on half tank.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:30 pm

sensei_ wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:I park at Tesco...... because that's where we shop (not cause it's free :wink: ) and don't bother to stop for Petrol on the way back. The fact we have to head out with 3/4 tank of petrol on the way out doesn't make it any useful to top up so little on such a short trip, though of course I always do on the trips back down from KL.
who said anything about having 3/4 tank of petrol? i dont tend to believe that every car follows the 3/4 rule. personally, i always go in on half tank.
The Singapore gahmen has said everything about a 3/4 tank. If you went into Malaysia with a half tank, you have broken the law... motorcycles excepted.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 28 Aug 2012 10:35 pm

Jabbey wrote:
ScoobyDoes wrote:
the lynx wrote: I personally prefer Tebrau City too, that's the cleanest and most spacious mall around, and fuss-free too (parking per entry, free use of washroom, all ATMs, mobile phone charging port). And yes, Tesco is so close by too.

I will most likely be taking a bus into Johor Bahru since it's my first time in. There is a bus from Kranji that will take passengers across the causeway right?

Approximately how long will it take to reach Tebrau City by taxi? I've heard that it's quite hard to find a taxi that runs by meter in Johor Bahru. Is this true?

From Sultan Iskandar checkpoint, about 15-20 minutes for MYR14 (if there is no traffic jam). Doesn't matter with or without meter, the haggled rate is still close to the fare by meter (difference by only few Malaysian cents), sometime even lesser than metered fare.

Your chance of hitting taxis that are willing to use meter is 50-50 so it is no big deal anyway, as long as you know the haggled rate to Tebrau City.

Go for red taxis, unless you are keen to blow your money on exclusive blue taxis.

The Lynx, where do you recommend I visit to eat the local food? Would RM 250 should be sufficient for food and shopping for 4 people?

1. I do not know your shopping style. So I can't advise about how much you'd spend. I suggest you go with MYR800 (assuming MYR200 per person) and adjust yourself from there.

2. Johor Jaya's bitter gourd soup with pork. Midnight dim sum at Plentong. Mee jawa and seafood fried rice at Stulang. Claypot rice at Taman Pelangi. Just to name a few. I'm sure the Johorians in this forum will be able to provide more (better) example.

Disclaimer: I'm not Johorian.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:09 am

sensei_ wrote:

What you believe is up to you but the fine ranges from $100 for the first offence to $500 for the third if you drive through with less than 3/4 tank. If you are caught and still want to head to Malaysia you have to settle the fine, u-turn, top up and come back again - it's simply not worth the effort or hassle.

And don't believe the signs that say 'Singapore Cars Please Top Up to 3/4 Tank'..... it isn't a polite request. Ignorance is not a defence.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:13 am

ScoobyDoes wrote:
sensei_ wrote:

What you believe is up to you but the fine ranges from $100 for the first offence to $500 for the third if you drive through with less than 3/4 tank. If you are caught and still want to head to Malaysia you have to settle the fine, u-turn, top up and come back again - it's simply not worth the effort or hassle.

And don't believe the signs that say 'Singapore Cars Please Top Up to 3/4 Tank'..... it isn't a polite request. Ignorance is not a defence.
Agreed. And no office buys these excuse any more.

1. My tank gauge is broken. It is not indicating the actual amount.
2. Oh I forgot!
3. That's strange, I swear I pumped it right before I got there (back to #1).

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:15 am

Having a faulty fuel gauge is an offence as well......can't even think to use that or you get double fines.

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:26 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:The Singapore gahmen has said everything about a 3/4 tank. If you went into Malaysia with a half tank, you have broken the law... motorcycles excepted.
Never think I would believe it, but some of the expats more "kiasi" (scared of 'death') than the locals.

my_sacha

Post by my_sacha » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 3:17 pm

i usually take the fixed/flat rate taxi at the taxi stand outside the immigration. about 9rm to jalan serampang

there's a spanish restaurant that i like there (jalan serampang), and a thai massage place right next door (of course i do the massage first, then food, then groceries).

i usually bring a small bag with me, so i can stock up on toiletries at watson's and some essentials at the supermarket

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 3:23 pm

my_sacha wrote:i usually take the fixed/flat rate taxi at the taxi stand outside the immigration. about 9rm to jalan serampang

there's a spanish restaurant that i like there (jalan serampang), and a thai massage place right next door (of course i do the massage first, then food, then groceries).

i usually bring a small bag with me, so i can stock up on toiletries at watson's and some essentials at the supermarket
Did you mean Leisure Mall Pelangi?

my_sacha

Post by my_sacha » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 9:05 am

the lynx wrote:
my_sacha wrote:i usually take the fixed/flat rate taxi at the taxi stand outside the immigration. about 9rm to jalan serampang

Did you mean Leisure Mall Pelangi?
I think so, but mostly I just buy at Watson's at City Square (is about 30% cheaper i think).

Although when I go to JB is to go that spanish restaurant (i love their ice cream!)

I forgot to add - the flat rate to Jln Serampang from the taxi stand is 9rm, and the flag down (from Jln Serampang) is about 6-7 rm.