Singapore Expats

Tax Consultant

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Jeffa

Tax Consultant

Post by Jeffa » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:29 am

Can anyone recommend a good tax consultant in Singapore?

Or a good search string if this topic has already been discussed? I have tried to search by "Tax Consultant" but did not see any relavant posts.

Thanks in advance

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:32 am

Singapore? Australia? US? UK? Which country?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Jeffa

Post by Jeffa » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:38 am

I am from the US, but residing in SG with an EP. I am looking for help with SG taxes.

Thank you in advance for your help.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:52 am

Seriously, you don't need a Tax Consultant for Singapore Taxes. You might, however, need one for your US taxes. Singapore's Taxes are pretty much black and white with with ample instruction regarding same. On the other hand, you US taxes could be a big tangled ball of yarn depending on your types of income. Strong Eagle can give you some contacts for a good US tax consult and there are a couple listed on the US Embassy Singapore site. I cannot vouch for any of them as I've always done all my own returns (I'm also a Yank).

For you information, if you haven't located it already.....

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page01.aspx?id=88

http://singapore.usembassy.gov/tax_prep ... apore.html
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Jeffa

Post by Jeffa » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks SMS.

I have a US Tax consultant back in the states, but it may be easier to use one here. If the SG taxes are that easy, I will probably do as you mentioned and just follow the directions and do it myself. I saw the IRAS website, but have not reviewed the US Embassy one yet, so i will be sure to check it out.

Thanks again for your help!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 1:30 pm

I had a positive experience with using Artio to handle my taxes; They have an advertisement posted at the top of the "General" forum on this board.

As SMS said, Singapore taxes are simple. I did those myself. But my first year here was a partial year, had various investments, etc, so I felt more comfortable having accountants handle the US portion. Going forward it TurboTax should be able to handle it.

Jeffa

Post by Jeffa » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 2:57 pm

Thanks!

Yes, this year is a half year for me as well. Once I see how it all goes, I think I will have a better feeling for future taxes.

Thanks again.