Singapore Expats

ipod recharging

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
stickyjack

ipod recharging

Post by stickyjack » Fri, 13 May 2005 9:04 am

Hi all,
I am in USA and going to Penang.
I am bringing hte ipod and digital camera.

Can I recharge the ipod, if I brought the recharging cable only ( not the plug too, because it's bulky and havy) from any internet cafe computer. It's just a USB port, but does it matter that my ipod and my computer are both macs????

I can bring my plug and a three pin adapter but those things are HEAVY!!
So, is it easy to do this?
Just plug in the ipod while I'm at a cafe online in Penang?
Do the cyber cafe oweners allow this??Are the pc's compatible witha mac to ipod cable???
Hope someone can help. Also, I want to know the same for my small Sony camera, recharging the batteries. I don't want to bring that clunky recharger, so are there electronics stores where I can go plun in the battery into a recharger that the store would have behind the cash desk or wherever??
Anyone know??javascript:emoticon(':shock:')

dumbledore
Regular
Regular

Post by dumbledore » Fri, 13 May 2005 9:24 pm

YES YES YES YES YOU CAN

ipod is ok with PC as well, just plug it into USB port, yes, the owner MUST allow us to do this, cause sometimes we need the USB flash drive to store stuff, if they don't allow then how?

also the same for camera, as long as you can charge it using USB i think should be fine.

however i think AC Adapter is much better, as you don't have to wait at the cyber cafe (and pay money).

beenhere10years

Post by beenhere10years » Sat, 14 May 2005 7:08 am

Also, when an iPod is connected to a new comouter, not the one it is registered to, it will ask you something like: this is is a new computer, do you want to erase all your music you worked so hard at loading and love so much? No kidding, be careful. My kids inadvertantly erased mine while it was charging on home leave.

stickyjack

yikes

Post by stickyjack » Sat, 14 May 2005 7:15 am

that has happened once before, but on my own laptop, I got the songs reissued, but stil.....

it's making me think, just take the stupid plugs.
Why does Apple make them so stupidly big??

dumbledore
Regular
Regular

Post by dumbledore » Sat, 14 May 2005 6:34 pm

apple design it so that ppl in most cases, ppl don't have to do anything, just plug in and it will update the songs automatically, however if u want, u can change those options. If you simply plug the ipod into a new computer (without iTunes), it will recharge only and won't touch your songs.

stickyjack

So I will need the USB cable from computer to ipod

Post by stickyjack » Sat, 14 May 2005 11:05 pm

and that's it??
It's just a regular USB.

dumbledore
Regular
Regular

Post by dumbledore » Sun, 15 May 2005 1:26 am

yes, regular USB have power so it can charge ur ipod

Return to “General Discussions”