Singapore Expats

Anti-Mosquito Apps

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Anti-Mosquito Apps

Post by Travailes » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 3:21 pm

I have just discovered a couple of apps which allegedly protect against Mosquitos and other bugs by emitting an ultra high frequency. Are these a complete con ? Is there anyone on here using them ? I'd be interested to get any feedback.

(I have no connection with the providers)
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Anti-Mosquito Apps

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 3:51 pm

Travailes wrote:I have just discovered a couple of apps which allegedly protect against Mosquitos and other bugs by emitting an ultra high frequency. Are these a complete con ? Is there anyone on here using them ? I'd be interested to get any feedback.

(I have no connection with the providers)
As someone who is very familiar with insects, I can assure you that these apps do not work.

You're better off getting a cheapo citronella oil-based repellent than those apps.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 3:57 pm

I am a mosquito magnet and tried some Apps (as well as every other method available): No effect at all on tropical mosquitos, just like the other "natural" or "harmless" methods.
In Singapore, only nasty chemicals help. DEET is probably the least nasty among them, but you need at least 20% content, available from outdoor supplies (OFF has 5%, if I recall correctly). 100% DEET (not available through normal channels, but I had a bottle once) makes your skin blister, but can be used to impregnate bednets.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 4:07 pm

beppi wrote:I am a mosquito magnet and tried some Apps (as well as every other method available): No effect at all on tropical mosquitos, just like the other "natural" or "harmless" methods.
In Singapore, only nasty chemicals help. DEET is probably the least nasty among them, but you need at least 20% content, available from outdoor supplies (OFF has 5%, if I recall correctly). 100% DEET (not available through normal channels, but I had a bottle once) makes your skin blister, but can be used to impregnate bednets.
A friend in NS gave me a bottle of 20% DEET repellent. Very good stuff but it burns when you apply to sensitive areas like neck etc. It is NS-grade product (small green bottle without brand name, just instructions and AI listing) which you can buy from E-mart in SAFRA Mt Faber and The Chevrons in Jurong East.

I'm going to check it out there when I have the chance. It is open for public too.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 5:17 pm

Is it the jelly type? consistency of KY jelly? If it is, I used to use it all the time when I lived in Seletar Camp. Smells, and sometimes sticky, but seemed to work pretty good. Not something I'd want to wear at a garden party. It's pretty effective, especially if on field trips, etc.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 6:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Is it the jelly type? consistency of KY jelly?
where you been getting your stuff :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 7:30 pm

from mindef? wondered how long it would take somebody...... :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 8:25 pm

dont mix your ky with deepheat :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 9:29 pm

Apps? Applications or appliances?

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:40 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Is it the jelly type? consistency of KY jelly?
Yup from MINDEF.

Erm... Yeah something of that consistency. Clear, colourless.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Sat, 25 Aug 2012 9:40 am

x9200 wrote:Apps? Applications or appliances?
Applications eg Mosquito Shield in the I Tunes Store. There are others !
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 25 Aug 2012 10:09 am

Ok, so it's even worse. All these myths about the mosquitoes repellent devices say they use ultrasound or as you put it UHF. Even if this would work none of the popular devices are able to transmit UHF sound wave. Good headphones can get you to 22kHz. Ipads and such ends at 20kHz. Ultrasound starts only above 20kHz.