Singapore Expats

Report bad drivers.....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 9:59 pm

Something my father used to tell me when I was a youngster 'You pass your test, then you learn to drive'. And I wonder if your average SGn has the road-space to get out there and really get bedded into becoming an experienced post-test driver.

Point was passing the test is a to an extent a rote exercise some people can do after say just 12hrs tuition*, whereas becoming a rounded competent driver takes longer.

* my sister!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 17 Aug 2012 1:28 pm

If you want to complain about a specific driver perhaps take a picture and send it to stomp. Otherwise forget it - one way crime and traffic stats are kept low here is by not reporting and counting them. You'd know this if you've ever tried to report an assault as I have.

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Fri, 17 Aug 2012 4:23 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:If you want to complain about a specific driver perhaps take a picture and send it to stomp. Otherwise forget it - one way crime and traffic stats are kept low here is by not reporting and counting them. You'd know this if you've ever tried to report an assault as I have.
was the assault over some potato peels?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Aug 2012 4:59 pm

:lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

franky-MS

Post by franky-MS » Sun, 19 Aug 2012 3:54 pm

Hej guys,
What kind of emotions for this topic!
You can not compare Singapore "driving" with anything else in the world-
Maybe with the cars experience in Disneyland. Y
Maybe there is no way to come to the truth, who is the toughest driver, w
Where you find the mostly ignorant drivers in the world.
Actually coming back from my Germany experience, driving a highway with a Top Speed most Singaporean drivers can not even imagine, i just can not get it together;
Driving a Porsche in Singapore should be a waste...
But with the actual skills of our local colleagues, it should be forbidden :wink:
Let them drive- not how they want- but how they are able to!
This is the Singaporean way of driving. Enjoy it!

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Sun, 19 Aug 2012 10:23 pm

franky-MS wrote:Hej guys,
What kind of emotions for this topic!
You can not compare Singapore "driving" with anything else in the world-
Maybe with the cars experience in Disneyland. Y
Maybe there is no way to come to the truth, who is the toughest driver, w
Where you find the mostly ignorant drivers in the world.
Actually coming back from my Germany experience, driving a highway with a Top Speed most Singaporean drivers can not even imagine, i just can not get it together;
Driving a Porsche in Singapore should be a waste...
But with the actual skills of our local colleagues, it should be forbidden :wink:
Let them drive- not how they want- but how they are able to!
This is the Singaporean way of driving. Enjoy it!
to be fair, most people wont be able to drive in germany. unrestricted speed limits on sections of the autobahn is enough to throw most people off. here in australia we end up having to drive looking at our speedometer because we get pinged A$75 for anything over 2kmh over the posted limit.

i remember an austrian supplier offered to let me try his 760Li on the autobahn. after seeing him drive at speeds of up to 230kmh and being overtaken by others, i thought it was best i let the local do the driving instead.

franky-MS

Post by franky-MS » Sun, 19 Aug 2012 11:25 pm

Yeah, the bmw is a nice ride for German highways.
I chose the cayenne turbo s, to see the speedometer at 300. I have been quite fast around, with probably more time spend at the filling station, than with driving, i guess.
When i see these cars over here, these Astons, Lambos or today Bulgari...
What the h... For?
Probably the same reason, as buying a new watch on orchard.
The salesman told me: yes Sir, and what a sign of status you get with this watch!
That' s it about. Kiasu and show off.
Kind of funny, when you start to understand them. And don' t look them in the eye 8-) .
Watching too often the MIB movie i believe.
Afterball, like somebody wrote already before: this makes them pretty predictable. So for Europeans it is a kind of safe...
On the other hand, when i see the drivers with all kind of materials at the side- windows in order to keep the sun- away from their skin...
As a motorcyclist this is a nightmare. They can not see me, even if they would like one day! So it is the best to be the first at the lights!
So have a great off day tomorrow and enjoy the road. When you plan to go via Tuas tomorrow, keep left after the checkpoint, please :wink:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 12:00 am

franky-MS wrote: When i see these cars over here, these Astons, Lambos or today Bulgari...
What the h... For?
Probably the same reason, as buying a new watch on orchard.
The salesman told me: yes Sir, and what a sign of status you get with this watch!
That' s it about. Kiasu and show off.
Haha yeah... I read a thread on another forum recently, where some locals were bashing westerners. Basically saying westerners are all poor compared to PRC and Indonesian Chinese, and that Westerns all drive cheap cars here. They just don't get that Westerns don't see the point considering how small this little dot is, and that the payment they make on their Toyota Altis would buy an M3 back in the US, or the payment on their 320i (we don't even have such a low displacement model anymore in the US) would buy a new 750il or M5...

franky-MS

Post by franky-MS » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 9:05 am

Hahahaha! Indeed.
Riding a Ducati here, but using the power in Malaysia.
A GTS or Turbo S is a waste of money, just to go through the parkings.
But of course, if you need to show off...
It's like theconvertibles here... They go out when the sun is shining covered with an umbrella, but convertibles ;-)))
In this kind of climate less sense.
But LOOKS nice...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 20 Aug 2012 9:51 am

franky-MS wrote:Hahahaha! Indeed.
Riding a Ducati here, but using the power in Malaysia.
Oh those same shit-talkers are too scared to take their cars into JB. Too scared they'll get shot. Of course, the bad attitude probably helps cause that...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 4:40 am

zzm9980 wrote: Haha yeah... I read a thread on another forum recently, where some locals were bashing westerners. Basically saying westerners are all poor compared to PRC and Indonesian Chinese, and that Westerns all drive cheap cars here.

An expression comes to mind:

'Old money has no need to shout'.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 6:51 am

^^^^
+1

And welcome back, hope it twern't too serious.

:wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 6:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:^^^^
+1

And welcome back, hope it twern't too serious.

:wink:
Ta! :)

roxannedetierro

Post by roxannedetierro » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 6:31 pm

Being a bad motorist is not hard. It's mostly a mixed effort of not paying attention, being easily sidetracked and not caring at all about others on the highway. By checking out the checklist below, you too can become a driver like a total horse's ass very quickly.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 14 Nov 2012 6:57 pm

roxannedetierro wrote: a horse's ass
The mind boggles at how cross-species ownership would work!