Singapore Expats

PR wanna be, would be or will never be. Read this

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 3:29 am

asia singapore wrote:It will be nice if you can also mention the source of the article. It is from http://asiasingapore.blogspot.sg/2011/0 ... ected.html
I'm just left wondering how people go through education with English as a first language and then end up with such an ability to mash the language.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

PR is not really 'permanent'.

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 18 Aug 2012 6:38 pm

Australian PR is permanent - provided you remain in the country at least.

Singapore PR is really just a long term residency visa - not exactly permanent.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: PR is not really 'permanent'.

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 23 Aug 2012 7:21 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:Australian PR is permanent - provided you remain in the country at least.

Australia and Singapore is almost the same.
PR/RRV for OZ and PR/REP for SG
You need to shoot with a loaded gun or else it will give a false impression on the info that you have posted
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 23 Aug 2012 7:31 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:Australian PR is permanent - provided you remain in the country at least.

You need to shoot with a loaded gun or else it will give a false impression on the info that you have posted
It is true that the RRV situation has eroded the PR status in Australia somewhat. However it is far more realistic to stay in Australia forever without an RRV than it is to stay in Singapore with an expired REP.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Aug 2012 8:27 pm

For the unknowing reader who comes on here without a clue, he gets the wrong data. We lose our credibility. :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 2:26 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:

It is true that the RRV situation has eroded the PR status in Australia somewhat. However it is far more realistic to stay in Australia forever without an RRV than it is to stay in Singapore with an expired REP.
I am an Ozzie and what you said does not hold water
Show ME and only ME how does RRV eroded PR status in Oz
How can you stay in OZ permanently w/o RRV although the PR is indefinite.
I want YOU to show me the link to this statement.
The only country that I know of that PR is indefinite after the 2 or 5 years of limited travel under section 18a is NZ. Even that Pr holders need to come back every year for a month to show NZ Immigration so that you do not lose your resident permit
If you do not know what you are talking about then you have to stay OFFSHORE
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 7:08 am

For that matter, I believe the US is much the same. My wife had to fly to the US (Hawaii) once every 12 months just to have her passport chopped to retain her PR (Green Card). Until we decided to stay in Singapore and gave up her PR voluntarily.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 5:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:For that matter, I believe the US is much the same. My wife had to fly to the US (Hawaii) once every 12 months just to have her passport chopped to retain her PR (Green Card). Until we decided to stay in Singapore and gave up her PR voluntarily.
Yes, I would think so too
I am now a proud owner of NZ citizenship after my work with CERA in Christchurch. Given on a silver platter. This will make 3 plus PR of the wife country of birth

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 5:38 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:For that matter, I believe the US is much the same. My wife had to fly to the US (Hawaii) once every 12 months just to have her passport chopped to retain her PR (Green Card). Until we decided to stay in Singapore and gave up her PR voluntarily.
Yes, I would think so too
I am now a proud owner of NZ citizenship after my work with CERA in Christchurch. Given on a silver platter. This will make 3 plus PR of the wife country of birth
I'm really starting to think you're a real-life Jason Bourne or something.... :-|
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 6:41 pm

Didn't DHS (or CBP back then) eventually give her a hard time? I was advised that after the third or forth chop of a green card holder doing this they catch on to what you're doing and refuse or give a hard time.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 11:25 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote: Australia and Singapore is almost the same.
I am an Ozzie and what you said does not hold water
Show ME and only ME how does RRV eroded PR status in Oz
How can you stay in OZ permanently w/o RRV although the PR is indefinite.
I want YOU to show me the link to this statement.
The only country that I know of that PR is indefinite after the 2 or 5 years of limited travel under section 18a is NZ. Even that Pr holders need to come back every year for a month to show NZ Immigration so that you do not lose your resident permit
If you do not know what you are talking about then you have to stay OFFSHORE
I just saw your rather rude response MS! :)

Aussie PR will never be cancelled because you lead a union of airlines pilots (or any other public office that pushes against the ruling party) - Singapore PR can and has been.

Aussie PR will never be cancelled because you are politically active - Singapore PR can be and has been.

Aussie PR will never be cancelled because you don't have a job or income - Singapore REP will not be renewed in this case.

Yes, you can stay in either Singapore or Australia as a PR as long as you want without either a REP or RRV provided you don't need to leave the country. However in Australia - a country roughly 1000 times the size of Singapore and with 6 times the population - I think you'd have a better long term life without ever leaving the country. PR in Singapore is just a weird long term visa that is no coupled to your working life. PR in Australia is a genuine effort to bring you into Australian society.

HOWEVER - at the end of the day - both countries PR value has been deeply eroded by abuse - people applying without genuine intentions and collecting PR's as though that makes them a better person or using PR as a stepping stone to the USA or other places. Hence the tightening up on RRV and REP.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 5:49 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:Aussie PR will never be cancelled because you don't have a job or income - Singapore REP will not be renewed in this case.
Than is not entirely true. In fact, when I received my last REP (10 year one before that was stopped) my REP had been expired for 15 months. The officer asked my why I waited so long to renew my REP. I explained that I was out of a job for over a year so couldn't renew it. I was informed that if you are on family ties PR and are over 50 you don't need to have a job at all. How do you think those who have retired here manage to get renewed? Hmmmmmm?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 6:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:Aussie PR will never be cancelled because you don't have a job or income - Singapore REP will not be renewed in this case.
Than is not entirely true. In fact, when I received my last REP (10 year one before that was stopped) my REP had been expired for 15 months. The officer asked my why I waited so long to renew my REP. I explained that I was out of a job for over a year so couldn't renew it. I was informed that if you are on family ties PR and are over 50 you don't need to have a job at all. How do you think those who have retired here manage to get renewed? Hmmmmmm?
Ok - let me amend that... if you don't have a job nor the assets to support yourself and are at risk of becoming a burden to the Singapore State - no REP renewal.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 7:31 pm

I'm sure this is somewhere but couldn't find it. If I did let the flames begin but I need some assistance.

As a PEP trying to get a PR, and my green card starts with G, reading this on the MOM site has me wondering:

The following categories of foreigners are eligible to apply for permanent residence:

(a) Spouse and unmarried children (below 21 years old) of a Singapore Citizen
(SC)/SingaporePermanent Resident (SPR)
(b) Aged Parents of a SC
(c) P, Q or S work pass holders
(d) Investors/Entrepreneurs

Or am I missing something?

BTW SMS thanks for your PEP sticky.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 8:44 pm

Brah wrote:I'm sure this is somewhere but couldn't find it. If I did let the flames begin but I need some assistance.

As a PEP trying to get a PR, and my green card starts with G, reading this on the MOM site has me wondering:

The following categories of foreigners are eligible to apply for permanent residence:

(a) Spouse and unmarried children (below 21 years old) of a Singapore Citizen
(SC)/SingaporePermanent Resident (SPR)
(b) Aged Parents of a SC
(c) P, Q or S work pass holders
(d) Investors/Entrepreneurs

Or am I missing something?

BTW SMS thanks for your PEP sticky.
PEP will be equivalent of a "P" or "Q", depending on your income level. Basically think of it as whichever of the non-PEP passes you'd qualify for.