Singapore Expats

Expat Teachers network - come and join

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
Hoppeaustralia

Expat Teachers network - come and join

Post by Hoppeaustralia » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 9:42 am

Hi everyone,

Have seen that, like me, there's a decent bunch of newly or recently arrived expat teachers to Singapore. I'm 29, from Australia, and set to start teaching at Avondale Grammar from this semester. Love to explore Singapore and surrounds with a like-minded crew and could be brilliant for planning trips in SE Asia for holidays if anyone's keen.

Also kinda nice to debrief with people that share similar understandings of everyday work.
If you're interested in either a weekly night out, day trip, movie, or quiet beer, post your email address on here and I'll organise the first gathering somewhere local within the next week or so.

Cheers,

Mark

jemmacruise

Post by jemmacruise » Wed, 11 Jul 2012 3:49 pm

Hi there,
My name is Jemma. My boyfriend I moved to Singapore from Scotland a month ago. I have just completed my PGDE primary course in Edinburgh so this is my first year teaching. I am due to start at One World International School in August.
Would be great to make some teacher friends who share the same holidays as the travelling opportunities are great! Please keep me updated on any social events etc.
My email address is [email protected]

Thanks

Hoppeaustralia

Post by Hoppeaustralia » Thu, 12 Jul 2012 9:27 am

Great Jemma, will do. Have had a few people PM me so we're starting to get together a nice group. Hope you're looking forward to your first teaching gig. You'll love it! Just for reference, my email is [email protected]
Chat soon!

Mark

CSI...

Similar situation 30 / m moving to Singapore

Post by CSI... » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 2:36 am

Hello - saw your post and thought I'd reply. I'm 30 / m ...have been teaching English in South London (Secondary comp) for 7 years ...and decided to go for a change...

I've landed a job at Hwa Chong Institute teaching English - it's a Singapore school - not an international one. Seems like loads of expat British teachers arriving...at British / International Schools

I arrive in mind August (around 15th). If anybody's up for a drink / chat - or if you're already there and you could reply for general advice about best drinking spots, places to go to, etc, that would be grand...

SarahSunshine

Post by SarahSunshine » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 5:43 am

Hello Everyone!
My name is Sarah and I'm just getting the details of my contract in order and planning to move to Singapore from Toronto in August. It exciting to meet a group of new teachers!

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 7:16 pm

Looks like there is a pretty big contingent of teachers here. I, like CSI, teach at a local school, but I've been hired at an International School starting in January. Sarah, I was in Toronto for 4 years before I moved here last August, happy to meet another Canadian. If anyone is looking to hang out (and try to avoid talking shop) I'm game.

Kristel

SarahSunshine

Post by SarahSunshine » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 2:04 am

Hey,

I was just wondering what everyone has done in regards to housing. My school doesn't set that up and I'm having a hard time looking for stuff online. Any suggestions of good websites or places to look for this?!

CSI...

Post by CSI... » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 2:08 am

Sarah...with regards to accomodation...pester your school...they should make a substantial contribution towards the cost...I negotiated with mine and they accepted to pay 2 thirds of the rental price!!

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 5:40 pm

Sarah, I agree that if you can negotiate a living stipend with your employer, it would be a great asset, but I didn't get that when I signed my contract either. Lately I've been checking out websites, just ones i've found on google. But I'm pretty sure there's a lot more out there than is listed on those sites. A lot of places expect you to use an agent (and you'll have to pay the agent fee), but you don't have to. I used an agent, because it was recommended by the Ministry of Education (my employer). I'm hoping to avoid that when I look for my next place.

Tsilivi
Regular
Regular

Post by Tsilivi » Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:55 am

What a good idea! Count me in. British girl been here a year. Look forward to meeting you guys. :D

SarahSunshine

Post by SarahSunshine » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 4:29 am

Hey Guys,
Just wondering if any of you have organized a meet-up yet? I'm not moving until September, trying to get everything organized before I move, it's pretty crazy!

Kristel, it's very exciting to meet another Canadian, I will be in touch for sure once I have moved, it would be great to meet you! I'm really not looking forward to the flight...

rdhsm

Post by rdhsm » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 2:28 pm

Hi guys, 25f local here am teaching at a kindergarten currently. If you are up for lunch or anything, do say hello. Am still a newbie on this site so I can't pm you but do get in touch if you're keen!

natureavenue

Hey

Post by natureavenue » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:38 am

Greetings,

Music instructor here too, and welcome to Singapore all teachers! ;)

tataro

Post by tataro » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 9:54 pm

Hi!!

Another music instructor here as well! Moved from Perth about 3 weeks ago (;

[email protected] would love to meet you all!

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Thu, 16 Aug 2012 8:55 pm

Hey, great to have some more music teachers around. I'd actually love to get into the live music scene (performing). I used to front a band back in Toronto. If either of you are interested in jamming, let me know. For that matter some others here may be musicians too? Or we can just meet for coffee/drinks.

Cheers.