Singapore Expats

HELP regarding Employment PASS

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Jon Snow

HELP regarding Employment PASS

Post by Jon Snow » Tue, 14 Aug 2012 4:12 pm

Hi

I'm Indian , graduate, and post graduate of Calcutta University. The Japanese company that hired me is about to establish a new office in Singapore.

My questions are regarding the EP.

The problem is that my university takes 1 year to issue the original Master of Science degree and in the meantime they have provided me with a provisional Master of Science degree that has the same text as the original , only difference being the word "provisional" on it.

So will this provisional degree be enough to get me a visa ? I have all other documents (mark sheets etc ) in order , and available.

In the event that it doesn't work out I can see from the MoM website that qualification necessary is a tertiary degree , meaning a colege graduation degree.

I do have my original Bachelors degree ( college graduation ) available , also issued by the University of Calcutta. All documents related to the Bachelors degree are also in order.

So in the event that they reject my visa on basis of provisional degree not being sufficient will I get through on the Bachelors degree ?

Added info : I'm a fresher , so no working experience.
My salary will be in the range of 6000- 6500 S$ so that would mean a P2 pass , right ?

Please help , thanks in advance

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Aug 2012 5:11 pm

For the record, your Masters degree and 80 cents will get you a cup of coffee and the MOM canteen, and that's about all. Your employment pass will be issued based on your basic qualifications & experience, nothing more. However, you employer might want more but as far as the MOM is concerned, your basic degree is all that they will look at unless it's on an appeal maybe. But you have to get rejected first, so don't sweat it until you need to.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Re: HELP regarding Employment PASS

Post by Saint » Tue, 14 Aug 2012 5:18 pm

Jon Snow wrote: Added info : I'm a fresher , so no working experience. My salary will be in the range of 6000- 6500 S$ so that would mean a P2 pass , right ?

They are most likely going to reject just on this and tell the company to employ one of the many Singaporean freshers

Jon Snow

Post by Jon Snow » Tue, 14 Aug 2012 5:32 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Your employment pass will be issued based on your basic qualifications & experience, nothing more.
Meaning the tertiary , Bachelors degree right ? That's good then , I have that covered , all documents available.

Saint wrote:
Jon Snow wrote: Added info : I'm a fresher , so no working experience. My salary will be in the range of 6000- 6500 S$ so that would mean a P2 pass , right ?

They are most likely going to reject just on this and tell the company to employ one of the many Singaporean freshers
I got that impression from reading all the threads here but the company has been in the middle of negotiations with the Singapore Government for nearly a year or so , and their plan to bring about 10-15 of us Indian freshers in to work has been there from the start. So I'm assuming they have already worked that into the agreement with the government regarding setting up a new company. If that hadn't been the case they would have posted us in Japan itself , in fact they had said that they might do so if negotiations with the Singapore government didn't work out.

I might be wrong about all of that but there really isn't anything i can do about that from this end.

Any way thanks for the insight.

Some personal experiences would be very helpful too.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Aug 2012 8:49 pm

For some reason I didn't see the fresher bit when I replied to your post. If you are a fresher, I would have to agree with Saint. Good Luck.

Oh, just because they are working with EDB doesn't meant anything at all to MOM. For that matter MOM & ICA see differently on a lot of things as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

friendlybossy

Post by friendlybossy » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:26 am

fresh graduates from India and the pay is 6000-6500? This will raise some eyebrows, is this company a shell company that trying to smuggle people into Singapore? They can easily find a bunch of talented fresh graduates from top local universities or even top schools in the world with 4K why pay an Indian 6.5K? There is certain minimum requirements that need to be met when a Pass is issued, being fresh graduate seriously weaken the application

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 11:32 am

Too low - cannot.

Too high - also cannot.

:D :P :lol:

Just kidding. It is Wednesday!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:02 pm

:wink: :)

Jon Snow

Post by Jon Snow » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:14 pm

@friendlybossy : why pay "an Indian " 6.5K ? idk maybe us "Indians" are good at our jobs , that's why.

And the company just set up shop in Spore. I would think the Spore govt did a background check on it before letting it do business there , wouldn't you :roll:

Anyway if you must know , the salary is basically what they pay freshers in Tokyo, Japan where the company is based.

I would appreciate it if someone answered my original question :

whether a provisional degree certificate is considered at par with its original counterpart by the MoM ?

thanks in advance

wwww
Regular
Regular

Post by wwww » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:For the record, your Masters degree and 80 cents will get you a cup of coffee and the MOM canteen, and that's about all. Your employment pass will be issued based on your basic qualifications & experience, nothing more. However, you employer might want more but as far as the MOM is concerned, your basic degree is all that they will look at unless it's on an appeal maybe. But you have to get rejected first, so don't sweat it until you need to.
:lol:

I need to go and claim my coffee so that my masters wasnt completely worthless. :cool:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:40 pm

wwww wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:For the record, your Masters degree and 80 cents will get you a cup of coffee and the MOM canteen, and that's about all. Your employment pass will be issued based on your basic qualifications & experience, nothing more. However, you employer might want more but as far as the MOM is concerned, your basic degree is all that they will look at unless it's on an appeal maybe. But you have to get rejected first, so don't sweat it until you need to.

I need to go and claim my coffee so that my masters wasnt completely worthless. :cool:
Dun have masters. Top up for kopi oso can?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

wwww
Regular
Regular

Post by wwww » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 12:42 pm

nakatago wrote:
wwww wrote:

Dun have masters. Top up for kopi oso can?

No masters top up 5 cents can already 8-)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 1:22 pm

Jon Snow wrote:Hi

I'm Indian , graduate, and post graduate of Calcutta University. The Japanese company that hired me is about to establish a new office in Singapore.

The problem is that my university takes 1 year to issue the original Master of Science degree and in the meantime they have provided me with a provisional Master of Science degree that has the same text as the original , only difference being the word "provisional" on it.

So will this provisional degree be enough to get me a visa ? I have all other documents (mark sheets etc ) in order , and available.

In the event that it doesn't work out I can see from the MoM website that qualification necessary is a tertiary degree , meaning a colege graduation degree.

I do have my original Bachelors degree ( college graduation ) available , also issued by the University of Calcutta. All documents related to the Bachelors degree are also in order.

So in the event that they reject my visa on basis of provisional degree not being sufficient will I get through on the Bachelors degree ?

My salary will be in the range of 6000- 6500 S$ so that would mean a P2 pass , right ?

I can't speak as someone with masters but I can vouch that provisional degrees are acceptable, depending on your case officer.

I know of few people who have provisional bachelor's degree at time of application and their case officers approved them. And I have also heard of others (with provisional bachelor's degree) who were told by their officers that these were not acceptable.

And I do not know if times have changed this rule. The last time I observed this was 2010.

Jon Snow

Post by Jon Snow » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 1:27 pm

the lynx wrote:

I can't speak as someone with masters but I can vouch that provisional degrees are acceptable, depending on your case officer.

I know of few people who have provisional bachelor's degree at time of application and their case officers approved them. And I have also heard of others (with provisional bachelor's degree) who were told by their officers that these were not acceptable.

And I do not know if times have changed this rule. The last time I observed this was 2010.
Rules are much stricter now but I do have original Bachelor's degree , my Master's is provisional. I know SMS said that Master's is worthless but for some reason my employers are more concerned about it ( granted they too are new to Spore rules)

Anyway thanks for the reply man , at this point things are pretty much out of my hand , this is all for my peace of mind only.

thanks again

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 15 Aug 2012 1:34 pm

Jon Snow wrote:
the lynx wrote:

Rules are much stricter now but I do have original Bachelor's degree , my Master's is provisional. I know SMS said that Master's is worthless but for some reason my employers are more concerned about it ( granted they too are new to Singapore rules)

Anyway thanks for the reply man , at this point things are pretty much out of my hand , this is all for my peace of mind only.

thanks again
If that is the case, follow SMS's advice and apply using your bachelor's degree. After all, both master's and bachelor's degree will give you EP for sure (ok maybe S Pass also) and only your salary will determine your type of EP (P1, P2 or Q1).