Singapore Expats

S Pass approval likelihood?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.

Will I get S Pass approval? My profile is mentioned in my first post.

Poll ended at Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:29 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

gold.spot
Regular
Regular
Answers: 1

S Pass approval likelihood?

Post by gold.spot » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 10:29 pm

Dear All,

First off, I'm new here, so please excuse any forum rules I may not be aware of, even though I've read through a lot of posts here.

Two, the reason for my post is this - I just interviewed with a company as an Architect, and have got the job. Now I wait for the S Pass. I just want to know, from previous experience of other fellow forum members, what the likelihood of rejection/approval is. I am just a bit let down by the number of S Pass rejection stories here.

A brief explanation of my situation:
1) Indian Passport; Chinese Race.
2) S$3500/month
3) Position : Architect (of the Contruction type; not the Software type)
4) Qualification : Degree : B.Arch (full time; 5 years) from Indian University
5) 3 years experience.
Last edited by gold.spot on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 1:43 am

It will really depend on the company's particulars including their current local:foreigner ratio

popeyefan

Re: S Pass approval likelihood?

Post by popeyefan » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 11:25 pm

hsieh.chris wrote:Dear All,

First off, I'm new here, so please excuse any forum rules I may not be aware of, even though I've read through a lot of posts here.

Two, the reason for my post is this - I just interviewed with a company as an Architect, and have got the job. Now I wait for the S Pass. I just want to know, from previous experience of other fellow forum members, what the likelihood of rejection/approval is. I am just a bit let down by the number of S Pass rejection stories here.

A brief explanation of my situation:
1) Indian Passport; Chinese Race.
2) S$3500/month
3) Position : Architect (of the Contruction type; not the Software type)
4) Qualification : Degree : B.Arch (full time; 5 years) from Indian University
5) 3 years experience.
Your employer would be applying for an Employment Pass of Q1 category. S-Pass falls under a different category. FYI.

1) is interesting. If you don't mind, you from N-E India?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Jun 2012 8:39 am

popyeyefan,

FYI, MOM also looks at the ratio in regards to EP holders as well. Additionally, just because the guys salary level is sufficient for a Q or P2 pass, doesn't mean that MOM will give that level. That is why, on the EP application, it ask if the job seeker, if found not suitable for an EP, will consider an S pass. If it it not ticked yes, and the applicant is found not suitable for an EP, he is screwed as he can not go back and file an S pass application because he's already indicated no on the EP application.

You are still thinking with an entitlement complex. Wrong. The criteria is not a guarantee of acceptance, but only qualifying to have the application submitted for consideration. The final choice if purely up to MOM at their discretion. And they don't have to give you a reason either, except in the most generic of terms. This prevents custom tailored applications.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: S Pass approval likelihood?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 06 Jun 2012 10:45 am

popeyefan wrote:1) is interesting. If you don't mind, you from N-E India?
Psst: there are Chinese migrants in India, not isolated to NE India .. my experience is they are spread out ..

NE Indians are closer to Chinese descent, but still they are NOT Chinese, nor do they claim chinese ethnicity ..

gold.spot
Regular
Regular

Post by gold.spot » Wed, 06 Jun 2012 1:08 pm

popeyefan wrote:
Your employer would be applying for an Employment Pass of Q1 category. S-Pass falls under a different category. FYI.

1) is interesting. If you don't mind, you from N-E India?
Oh, right. But like SMS pointed out, I assumed that the salary level was just borderline, and would not make it. I don't yet know what pass my employer has applied for on my behalf.

And yes, just like ecurelix pointed out, there is an extremely small minority of Chinese in India, 90% of who came over just as the British were leaving. Think history.

sundaymorningstaplesaid:
FYI, MOM also looks at the ratio in regards to EP holders as well. Additionally, just because the guys salary level is sufficient for a Q or P2 pass, doesn't mean that MOM will give that level. That is why, on the EP application, it ask if the job seeker, if found not suitable for an EP, will consider an S pass. If it it not ticked yes, and the applicant is found not suitable for an EP, he is screwed as he can not go back and file an S pass application because he's already indicated no on the EP application.

You are still thinking with an entitlement complex. Wrong. The criteria is not a guarantee of acceptance, but only qualifying to have the application submitted for consideration. The final choice if purely up to MOM at their discretion. And they don't have to give you a reason either, except in the most generic of terms. This prevents custom tailored applications.
Thanks. Clears a few things in my head.

ecurelix said:
Psst: there are Chinese migrants in India, not isolated to NE India .. my experience is they are spread out ..

NE Indians are closer to Chinese descent, but still they are NOT Chinese, nor do they claim chinese ethnicity ..
Pointed out absolutely right. And the port of landing for most of them was Calcutta/Kolkata. And most of them are from the southern provinces. I'm surprised you know this. You must have Chinese friends.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 06 Jun 2012 2:25 pm

hsieh.chris wrote: Pointed out absolutely right. And the port of landing for most of them was Calcutta/Kolkata. And most of them are from the southern provinces. I'm surprised you know this. You must have Chinese friends.
Well, I do have a few Indian Chinese Friends in Chennai and also a country further below India .. ;) Though I am still not sure but they are all dentists / Dental Mechanics and the like .. Just like a fair amount of Malays in Sri Lanka

popeyefan

Post by popeyefan » Wed, 06 Jun 2012 11:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:popyeyefan,

SMS: My bad!! Yes. I was thinking exactly on those lines. For a while, i forgot the climate we are in :P

ecurelix & hsieh.chris : No wonder, i wasn't that good in history :cool:

gold.spot
Regular
Regular

It finally came

Post by gold.spot » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 7:48 pm

Dear All,

Just as I thought I had lost hope for my Employment pass getting approved, it did, just today - after of course, a rejection. My EP got approved on appeal and I have been issued a Q1 Pass. Thanks for the info, dear forum.

:) And my anxiety disorder just disappeared.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 13 Aug 2012 10:11 pm

Congratulations. Count yourself among the lucky ones. Welcome to Singapore, where nothing is exactly as it seems. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers