Singapore Expats

Shame on you, San Francisco Coffee

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
CoffeeCustomer

Shame on you, San Francisco Coffee

Post by CoffeeCustomer » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 9:55 pm

One of the best experiences I've had in my many years in Singapore has been my morning coffee shop visits to the Millenia Walk and Suntec San Francisco Coffee branches.

The people there are great - they remember your name, your coffee, are friendly, and are real (not like the robots at Starbucks who always smile while asking you to buy something else). It's a genuine pleasure to see them first thing in the morning. Plus the coffee, when made by the experienced baristas, is better the the other shops.

I have been a loyal customer for over 6 years - the only coffee I get is from there.

Well, that all ends tomorrow. The company, in their misguided thinking, decided it would be a good idea to fire all the experienced staff and replace them with rank beginners.

Penny-wise, dollar-foolish.

I had a coffee today from one of those beginners - it just wasn't up to the usual mark, nor did that person know me or my usual coffee selection or did he even have any semblance of personality.

With the connections I have with those people, I don't think I can honestly feel right about patronizing that place once they're gone.

All things must pass.

At least I'm spoiled for choices with all of the other coffee shops around.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Note I'm a regular poster posting under a different handle for this topic. If you don't believe me, or if you think I'm one of those people who will soon be no longer working there, PM me and I'll tell you for real.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:03 pm

So if you are a regular, why don't you have the cojones to post with your normal nick? :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CoffeeCustomer

Post by CoffeeCustomer » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:25 pm

So much for whatever compassion my post had.

If you recall, we had a poster who got sued a couple of years back, I think about a motorcycle part or service.

While I do have compassion for the people who work there, not so much as to risk a defamation suit.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:06 am

'nuff said.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

CoffeeCustomer

Post by CoffeeCustomer » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 8:37 am

So having said all that, what about the general premise? - Should a company that puts emphasis on their people cut them wily-nily like this?

One one hand I know all too well about the realities of corporate existence, on the other, this just reeks of something repulsive. I say that as a customer, and maybe my reaction doesn't have to have a basis in understanding the realities of the business world. Or, maybe I'm just being silly and idealistic.

If you were a patron of the company, would you remain one?

From their website:
People. We employ almost 200 people, the vast majority of them degree or diploma holders or in school working towards that. They all have a few things in common -- bigger smiles, better pay, and better love for service. It's that simple.

http://www.sfcoffee.com/sfc/en/AboutUs/index

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 8:50 am

CoffeeCustomer wrote:So much for whatever compassion my post had.

If you recall, we had a poster who got sued a couple of years back, I think about a motorcycle part or service.

While I do have compassion for the people who work there, not so much as to risk a defamation suit.
This will not protect you against this kind of actions.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 9:57 am

CoffeeCustomer wrote:So having said all that, what about the general premise? - Should a company that puts emphasis on their people cut them wily-nily like this?

One one hand I know all too well about the realities of corporate existence, on the other, this just reeks of something repulsive. I say that as a customer, and maybe my reaction doesn't have to have a basis in understanding the realities of the business world. Or, maybe I'm just being silly and idealistic.

If you were a patron of the company, would you remain one?

From their website:
People. We employ almost 200 people, the vast majority of them degree or diploma holders or in school working towards that. They all have a few things in common -- bigger smiles, better pay, and better love for service. It's that simple.
Is there a reason for you taking this SO very personally? It seems more than a little unnatural.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 11:55 am

I find it funny with chains like this. San Francisco coffee? Really? They're even from San Francisco! Canadian Pizza is another one. Again, really? Canadian Poutine would be more like it. But Pizza? You do New York or Chicago Pizza. Not Canada... :roll:

Back to the original post though, your comment about Starbucks at least is spot on. It's a Singaporean thing though. Starbucks service is generally really good (with the occasional bad apple) everywhere I go. Even in Japan and China where they speak less English than I speak Chinese or Japanese, i have better and more enthusiastic service than here. In Singapore, the bad service is institutionalized. I just love how I can order a custom drink, very specifically, even in correct Starbucks-barrista lingo, and more than half the time I get a blank stare back and then they slowly say, "...Did you want the ice cube, or the ice blended one?" 'Did I order a frappuccino? No? Well I guess ice cubes then!'. /rant off

And I'm PMing OP to see who it is :cool:

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 1:05 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I find it funny with chains like this. San Francisco coffee? Really? They're even from San Francisco! Canadian Pizza is another one. Again, really? Canadian Poutine would be more like it. But Pizza? You do New York or Chicago Pizza. Not Canada... :roll:
Yeah, I found the whole 'Genuine Canadian Pizza' thing a bit strange as well when I moved here. And there was me thinking pizza was an Italian invention. :???:

Edit: But it seems I'm wrong and it was actually the Greekswhat did it first.
Be careful what you wish for

CoffeeCustomer

Post by CoffeeCustomer » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 8:56 pm

SO very personally?

It really depends JR, if you insist on spinning it that way.

I don't know about taking anything personally, I do know that today I said goodbye to 10 people I could call friends who I've seen every weekday for over 5 years, who all lost their jobs at once and without warning, and who are understandably upset, having to look a stack of flyers on their counter that say "WE ARE HIRING! The place where real people serve........blah blah blah".

Perhaps that is perfectly natural for you.
JR8 wrote: Is there a reason for you taking this SO very personally? It seems more than a little unnatural.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 9:06 pm

CoffeeCustomer wrote: Perhaps that is perfectly natural for you.
Yes it is, I spent 20 years on Wall Street.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 9:57 pm

So my interpretation of this situation is that you don't like the fact they have sacked your mates, the coffee not being exactly the same would probably not be an issue if they hadn't sacked your friends right?

So in answer to your question, would I patronise a place when they sack my friends - probably not. If they sacked faceless staff - no problem.

Oh, and San Francisco in Millenia Walk has been closed for a month, due to lease expiring... I've never been to the Suntec one, there's no seats. ;)

As you say, you are spoilt for choice, vote with your feet, the Coffee Bean is not too bad in tower 3!

nut
nutnut

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 10:18 pm

CoffeeCustomer wrote:I don't know about taking anything personally, I do know that today I said goodbye to 10 people I could call friends who I've seen every weekday for over 5 years, who all lost their jobs at once and without warning, and who are understandably upset, having to look a stack of flyers on their counter that say "WE ARE HIRING! The place where real people serve........blah blah blah".

Perhaps that is perfectly natural for you.
Welcome to the sad reality where everyone is expandable. No one is an asset, and the bottom line is all that counts.

CoffeeCustomer

Post by CoffeeCustomer » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 10:21 pm

Kinda, but yeah, pretty sucky of them on the former, on the latter I wouldn't know, so probably no.

Am completely with you on your last two points.

And to zzm9980 "And I'm PMing OP to see who it is" well, based on what x9200 said, I'm less inclined to say so now.
nutnut wrote:So my interpretation of this situation is that you don't like the fact they have sacked your mates, the coffee not being exactly the same would probably not be an issue if they hadn't sacked your friends right?

So in answer to your question, would I patronise a place when they sack my friends - probably not. If they sacked faceless staff - no problem.

CoffeeCustomer

Post by CoffeeCustomer » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 10:23 pm

One can spout painfully obvious platitudes or choose to do something about it like stop giving them business.
sensei_ wrote:Welcome to the sad reality where everyone is expandable. No one is an asset, and the bottom line is all that counts.