Singapore Expats

Suggestions for How to Close-Off Bathroom Windows??

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
DJones18

Suggestions for How to Close-Off Bathroom Windows??

Post by DJones18 » Mon, 06 Aug 2012 5:59 pm

We have a landed house in Bukit Timah and all the windows in the bathrooms are "open" in that there are no screens or windows that prevent heat and pests from coming in--just the glass louver-slats affixed to the outside of the windows that cannot be moved or removed; apparently standard in older houses. We're looking for a solution to close our windows in so as not to let the aircon out, while also keep the heat and pests from coming in.

I know we can add those magnetic screen to block incoming pests, but that still won't block the aircon from escaping, or the heat from coming in. I've had two "handymen" out to assess the windows and both have offered opaque sliding glass "window panes", but those block light from coming in. Apparently there aren't such a thing as clear plexi or glass options as we've been told??

Has anyone done anything similar to what we'd like to do in our bathroom windows that might provide a couple alternative solutions? Would be grateful for your assistance. Kind thanks in advance.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Aug 2012 6:37 pm

Keep the bathroom door closed. The permanently open vents are necessary to prevent mold growth. This is the humid tropics. It's not just old homes like that. All HDB flats in the country are like that as well. and that's 80+ percent of all of Singapore's housing.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

DJones18

Post by DJones18 » Mon, 06 Aug 2012 7:10 pm

Thanks for the response, and I fully understand that this is "the way" in this country. Obviously, closing the door would be a "solution", however we wish to close the windows in, while being able to open the windows for venting, as we choose to. I was born and raised in humid Florida, so I "get" your point about what living in a tropical environment is like, having lived in it the majority of my life. Still, we would like to have closeable windows in our bathrooms. As such, if someone might be so kind as to assist me with a resource for a company or contractor that can offer us assistance for doing what we'd like to do, I'd be grateful for the referral or suggestions. Thanks, again!

QRM
Manager
Manager

Post by QRM » Mon, 06 Aug 2012 8:43 pm

Plenty of Perspex shops in the yellow pages gets a sheet and mount it to the frame and buy a vent fan can be electric or just airflow driven, stick that in the Perspex.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 Aug 2012 10:32 pm

Please ensure you get permission from the owner before you do anything. Drilling holes in the framing CAN cost you big time when you get ready to move out. Forewarned is forearmed.

Oh, as far a living in Fla is concerned, that's not too bad at all. My sis lives there. I lived in the Atchafalaya swamps in south Louisiana before coming over here. At least half the year it's not too bad, but here it's like that year around.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

DJones18

Post by DJones18 » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 9:17 am

Thanks. Permission has already been provided. I'll look up what Perspex stores are, today! Love Louisiana, but you're right that it's like that hot, steamy weather all the time, here, lol! Btw...can we find crawfish here...?