Singapore Expats

PR Application - Together or Separate

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 1:33 am

ben8118 wrote:Most of the people, I would say 90% of the people coming here to this forum are those that got their application rejected or having doubts in their application. There are alot of successful ones out there who did not post.
Well obviously there are many people who get their EPs, PRs, etc. and don't post anything here. But it's also the case that the numbers of successful applications have decreased substantially in recent times.
You can say at the moment there's some ethnicity who are the flavor of the month but from my point of view, as long as you have a good qualification, career history I do not see any problems.
No, I'm not just saying 'at the moment' - ethnicity has always played a part in the decision making process, but now it appears to be even more of a factor for some groups.

This thread (among many others) has some hard data: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic89217.html

I think we would be doing a disservice to those who do enquire here if we didn't point out the harsh realities that have affected some previous applicants.
Be careful what you wish for

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 2:47 am

Ben

I admire your stand for what you belief in. Good on ya , mate ! I am an Ozzie too among other nationalities I held.
It took me a good 10 years to decipher about the NS guideline based on what the constitution states, the Mindef , MHA guidelines among other things.
Since I joined this forum some moons ago, we have managed to find solutions or point them in the correct direction to avoid this minefield.
I did this based on facts, figures and hard datas from my previous working experience with the gahmen and my own big boys.
Nowadays, I rarely need to be call upon as most of the infos are out in the open and forumers looking for answer able take advice from there
Now, rather than having a swinging match which will be detrimental to one's health, let's share your bio data like what SMS asked for and we can deduce on how you get yours. In fact I can find out by your date of application too, if you are willing to share.
No one is right or wrong here. We take stock what we learned and share it among others. It has to be on hard facts , for lack of better word no BS please
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ben8118

Post by ben8118 » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 6:00 am

SMS,

I did mentioned their ethnicity and how many that applied. Please browse back and check carefully.

At the time of application, when i filled up the application under the nationality box, i put in "Australian" instead of Malaysian. You still did not give up and wants to prove yourself right.

Hats off to you for putting in the effort and doing a thorough search on my nickname over the internet. Feel free to do so. In fact we can have coffee and I can show you all the stats and evidence on my friends and fellow colleagues application date and approval date, but what's the point? Importantly, when someone posted a message, there's no right or wrong. You said I'm wrong, but I show you facts. And then you said ethnicity and etc plays a part. Did the government put that down on paper black and white? It's all ASSUMPTION. On the approval side, I have black and white evidence.

Oh yes i'm Chinese. So, are you saying that approval will be give based on ethnicity? Why delete my posting and some of your posting few weeks back?

This is the interesting part, next you're assuming that my friends and colleagues are test and design electronics engineers. Before telling you, may I know how you make your assumption? What if I said that your assumption is wrong?

ben8118

Post by ben8118 » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 6:08 am

Mad scientist,

In summary, I share my experiences and you guys said that I'm wrong, I do not have data, facts, figures and I will mislead others.So, where is freedom of speech?

We can organize a coffee session, it will save all the hassle :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 6:54 am

ben8118 wrote: Oh yes i'm Chinese. So, are you saying that approval will be give based on ethnicity?

No sh$t Sherlock!! :lol:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 9:31 am

JR8 wrote:
ben8118 wrote: Oh yes i'm Chinese. So, are you saying that approval will be give based on ethnicity?

No sh$t Sherlock!! :lol:
@ben8118: I remember you posting saying you were NOT Chinese. Well, NOT Malaysian Chinese but the point was, as long as not PRChinese, the Chinese are still favored in being granted PR.

Another point is, you were not upfront from the get go about your profile and hence, you were bound to throw off someone applying for PR.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sat, 28 Jul 2012 5:51 am

ben8118 wrote:Mad scientist,

In summary, I share my experiences and you guys said that I'm wrong, I do not have data, facts, figures and I will mislead others.So, where is freedom of speech?

We can organize a coffee session, it will save all the hassle :)
Ben

I, for one, did not accuse you of any wrong doing.
The fact of the matter is you are Chinese, period , speaks volume for itself.
You are Malaysian Chinese, yes ? It is the same there. If you are Bumis you get special privileges. That is the very reason SG Gahmen comes up with foreign policy to counter this M'sian Constitution to have "special" treament on Malay/ Malaysian per se to reject any application for work employment here even though some of them have very good credential. Unless you are Datuks or CEOs then it is different ball park entirely.
Since 1970s the population census on ethnicity has been 70% Chinese/13% Malay/ 7% Indian / 10% of other races approximately. This is hard facts !!! Go and google on wikis and you can find all these infos
Even though the demographic , political , economic, social landscape, immigration policies had changed, this percentage remains the same.
Why one may I ask?
The very fact is the ruling party is control by the predominant "aryanis" caste speaks volume by itself.
I do not need to have a coffee with you to prove what you said is misplaced. I have no doubt what you said about your friends is true. However the general rule of thumb based on the current policies is not ideal for certain race
You cannot assume or too naive enough that everything here is a bed of roses and racial discrimination is not here. Look at HDB allocation among the neighbourhood for the three races by HDB. Isn't it racist?
As you are a Chinese, so am I , you may not realize this.
Hence you advice is dangerous
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 28 Jul 2012 8:18 am

ben8118 wrote: In summary, I share my experiences and you guys said that I'm wrong, I do not have data, facts, figures and I will mislead others.So, where is freedom of speech?
No, you don't "share your experience". You pass off your experience as fact to others who will not have the same experience as you because of profiling you turn a blind eye to.

randomluser

Post by randomluser » Sat, 04 Aug 2012 9:07 am

Surprising that I come back after some weeks and boy there's a lot of replies on this thread...!

That said, well, I lodged the application a few days ago. Not much questions from the officer, really - first marriage or not, first application or not. That was pretty much it. Kind of got the feeling was just going through the motions..

Over on the famous forum frequented by my fellow countrymen, the rumor floating around is that there is a unspoken / implicit PR quota on us, and that it's been exhausted for some time, and thus almost no successful PR applications. And if so, then I guess it is what it is..

gr1ngo

Post by gr1ngo » Sat, 04 Aug 2012 11:05 pm

Hi randomluser

Good luck on your application. Please keep us posted on the outcome of your application.