Singapore Expats

Microsoft announces a new email platform

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Gameplayer

Microsoft announces a new email platform

Post by Gameplayer » Wed, 01 Aug 2012 3:43 pm

What do you use for sending and getting the Email? Foxmail or Outlook? Now Microsoft is announcing a new email platform, Outlook.com.

If you currently have a Hotmail.com or Live.com email address, you can upgrade your account to the new Outlook.com by going to the "Options" menu and clicking the "Upgrade to Outlook.com"; you will only receive the new UI, not the new domain if you select the upgrade option. 8-)

{suspect spam link removed by moderator}
To share different ideas with more people and to keep my life wonderful. Welcome to interact with me.

Alisonfh

Post by Alisonfh » Wed, 01 Aug 2012 3:45 pm

Hmmm.. seems legit :-|

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 7:27 am

Alisonfh wrote:Hmmm.. seems legit :-|
It is legit.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/31/32061 ... il-address

Its a new email service from Microsoft to replace Hotmail. If you want to get your outlook.com email address without including random letter and numbers, now is the time to sign up!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 10:25 am

I've already switched my Hotmail over to Outlook. Like the simplistic and minimalist interface. You can still retain your original Hotmail account and you can choose whether to channel all new emails to your Hotmail into the main inbox (with Outlook interface) or have it stashed in a separate folder instead.

In fact you can create as many multiple email aliases as you want for different purposes under the same Outlook account.

One thing that is still funny is that the Skydrive and Calendar is still under Windows Live interface while the Mail and People is already with Outlook interface. So when you click on Skydrive or Calendar, suddenly you're back to the old one. Such transition is a little off to me.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 7:58 pm

Wish it worked as smoothly for me!

I can see the Outlook (online) inbox but can't open anything or do anything. And of course as stuff is no longer feeding into my desktop outlook app, I'm completely stuffed!

Bloody great!!! :x

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 9:50 pm

JR8 wrote:Wish it worked as smoothly for me!

I can see the Outlook (online) inbox but can't open anything or do anything. And of course as stuff is no longer feeding into my desktop outlook app, I'm completely stuffed!

Which browser are you using? I find it doesn't work at all in Opera, menus just don't respond. Its great in IE of course...

Also, for your desktop outlook app, download the outlook hotmail connector, then add the account to your desktop Outlook. It will show all your hotmail/outlook.com folders in your desktop app. This is also a quick and easy way to copy mails/contacts/calendar entries from your locally stored personal folders into your cloud microsoft account, so your info in synced on your PC, the web and on your phone (if you add the microsoft account to your phone!)

Outlook.com uses the same Metro style as Office 2013 and Windows Phone and upcoming Windows 8. I must say, I am a huge fan, the aesthetic really appeals to me, and the simplicity is a joy.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 10:41 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:Which browser are you using? I find it doesn't work at all in Opera, menus just don't respond. Its great in IE of course...
FYI, I use Chrome and it works like how I mentioned above.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 10:57 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:

Which browser are you using? I find it doesn't work at all in Opera, menus just don't respond. Its great in IE of course...

Yes (hole in one!) I use Opera.

Also, for your desktop outlook app, download the outlook hotmail connector, then add the account to your desktop Outlook. It will show all your hotmail/outlook.com folders in your desktop app. This is also a quick and easy way to copy mails/contacts/calendar entries from your locally stored personal folders into your cloud microsoft account, so your info in synced on your PC, the web and on your phone (if you add the microsoft account to your phone!)

Outlook.com uses the same Metro style as Office 2013 and Windows Phone and upcoming Windows 8. I must say, I am a huge fan, the aesthetic really appeals to me, and the simplicity is a joy.

Apologies I made a mistake there. I was on Outlook, but post 'that' migration some time ago I am now on Windows Live Mail. I'm still at rather a loss how I agree to a Hotmail migration, and then it fails stay integrated with my WLM.

Hmmm...

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 7:47 am

JR8 wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:

Yes (hole in one!) I use Opera.

Apologies I made a mistake there. I was on Outlook, but post 'that' migration some time ago I am now on Windows Live Mail. I'm still at rather a loss how I agree to a Hotmail migration, and then it fails stay integrated with my WLM.

Hmmm...
Well your WLM will still have your Hotmail details, right? So you need to change those in WLM to receive your new Outlook.com mails I guess. Your old hotmail.com address will be a folder (if you checked that option) in your outlook.com mailbox.

Mexikaner
Regular
Regular

Post by Mexikaner » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 8:36 am

when I "upgraded" my 14 y.o. hotmail account, changing its name to a completely new one, I did not get the option to have the outlook.com suffix. It remained as @hotmail.com.

Do you know if it eventually will be changed to @outlook.com?

thx!

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 8:48 am

Mexikaner wrote:when I "upgraded" my 14 y.o. hotmail account, changing its name to a completely new one, I did not get the option to have the outlook.com suffix. It remained as @hotmail.com.

thx!
My Hotmail account is also more than a decade old. When I changed it, I was led to a page where I could choose the new e-mail. And I had the option to choose the domain also (@outlook.com or @hotmail.com or @live.com etc) from a scroll-down list.

You sure you didn't somehow skipped that page? Strange...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 8:55 am

curiousgeorge wrote: Well your WLM will still have your Hotmail details, right? So you need to change those in WLM to receive your new Outlook.com mails I guess. Your old hotmail.com address will be a folder (if you checked that option) in your outlook.com mailbox.
Thanks for that CG. It's late here, I'll come back to your suggestion fresh tomorrow and see how it goes.

Mexikaner
Regular
Regular

Post by Mexikaner » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 9:00 am

the lynx wrote:
Mexikaner wrote:when I "upgraded" my 14 y.o. hotmail account, changing its name to a completely new one, I did not get the option to have the outlook.com suffix. It remained as @hotmail.com.

thx!
My Hotmail account is also more than a decade old. When I changed it, I was led to a page where I could choose the new e-mail. And I had the option to choose the domain also (@outlook.com or @hotmail.com or @live.com etc) from a scroll-down list.

yup...I got the page you mention, but the scrool-down list only gave me the hotmail.com and live.com options. No outlook.com.
I'd like to think that this is a good thing! given my account is one of the first ones, microsoft is maybe allowing me to keep the hotmail.com domain
who knows...
i like the new UI though...no more Ads

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 9:31 am

Mexikaner wrote:
the lynx wrote:

thx!

yup...I got the page you mention, but the scrool-down list only gave me the hotmail.com and live.com options. No outlook.com.
I'd like to think that this is a good thing! given my account is one of the first ones, microsoft is maybe allowing me to keep the hotmail.com domain
who knows...
Maybe someone already took your [email protected]?

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 10:05 am

Mexikaner wrote:
the lynx wrote:

thx!

who knows...
In the top right corner, click on the cog/settings icon, and select more email settings.

Then you have a load of options - at the bottom of the first section on the left (Managing your Account) you can rename your email address (if you dont want to keep your hotmail address and totally migrate to a new outlook.com address) or create an alias (where you can have [email protected] delivered to your hotmail inbox or a folder in your hotmail mailbox).

One gives you a new address totally, which you use to log in to the service. The other keeps your old email address and adds an alias to the exisiting account.

Note - if you select the first option, your hotmail contacts/emails/calendar will migrate over, with a couple of days.