Singapore Expats

HELP! British Citizen but hold DP visa, desperately need job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 1:37 pm

Now you know how lots of accompanying wives feel when they had to give up their career to follow the husband's overseas posting. Shoe on the other foot pinches a wee but. If nothing else, it will serve to bring it home that any posting is suspect to less than favourable results and one should always ensure that it's totally okay financially if there is only a single salary. I'm not saying that is the case in your scenario, but we've seen a lot who come here with one employment pass and figure, "oh, we should be able to pick up a job easy enough for the other partner" as you are finding out, it's not that simple and hopefully, while browsing this board they will come across this thread and maybe realize that it isn't simple at all. Often it's the luck of the draw and nothing more.

I would ensure that you explain the Letter of Consent lightly in your cover letter, but again, if you are looking for something similar and you were "senior" it might not happen so easily as they will also know that the letter of consent is tied to your wife's EP and will expire and be renewed with the EP. (or not, as the case may be - I just found out I'm losing another S pass holder in early Sept as he no longer qualifies under the new "criteria" for S pass holders. They even put into the rejection for renewal not to bother appealing as it won't happen as he no longer qualifies for S pass at all. It's getting rough out there.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ringo100100

Jobs

Post by ringo100100 » Tue, 14 Aug 2012 9:51 pm

I think being a foreigner is fine. For my company, I would say over 50% of Manager grade and above are EPs. Probably 60%-70% for Directors and VPs. Of those EPs, 95% are on local salaries, which are now equal to London or HK.

There are so many banks here, what area do you work in?