Singapore Expats

Thirty-day Social Visit, but "note" on chop

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Thirty-day Social Visit, but "note" on chop

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 4:26 pm

So one of the wife's friends/acquaintances recently visited from Vietnam. She showed me an interesting thing. In her passport (and on her white immigration card), ICA stamped her with a normal thirty-day visitors pass. However, they also wrote down the exact date, time, and flight number of her return flight on both the card and in her passport. She probably sets off a few red-flags, as she's 20-something, single, and has visited a couple times in the past year or two.

I was a bit curious why they do this. Her friend thinks it means she must leave by that point, and can't stay any longer. I'd assume she gets the full thirty days, otherwise they wouldn't even let her in with a 30-day stamp. As anyone else who knows anyone from Vietnam will tell you, no one there keeps a schedule or can make a decision about dates/times. Vietnamese Airlines probably makes most of their revenue in ticket rescheduling fees.

So does the notation mean anything?

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 4:57 pm

I think it's to do with the fact that some nationalities have to prove they are leaving on a certain date by showing their return ticket, if she is picked up, there would be no doubt what her return date is with this information?

Yes, 20 year old Vietnamese would probably set off a few alarm bells otherwise.
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 5:08 pm

nutnut wrote:Yes, 20 year old Vietnamese would probably set off a few alarm bells otherwise.
I'd second that thought! (based on my recent observations travelling between Vietnam-Singapore for about 2 months)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 5:11 pm

my 2 cents ?

It means something and nothing ..

I have seen, heck, even my passport had it, when I was fighting for an EP ..

When I go for renewal, if the renewal reasons are valid, I got 30 days .. or else, a 7 day with a NFE (No further extension)

All I know, having managed some foreign staff, some who fail to remember that they had some altercation in the airport .. that a stamp with W is deadly .. no idea what that means ..

so, unless your friend's friend has a habit of extending her visa, or doing visa runs to JB .. fret not much ..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 5:16 pm

nutnut wrote:I think it's to do with the fact that some nationalities have to prove they are leaving on a certain date by showing their return ticket, if she is picked up, there would be no doubt what her return date is with this information?

Yes, 20 year old Vietnamese would probably set off a few alarm bells otherwise.
29 actually, i was just being nice by saying "20-something" :)

Well, the reason I ask is because does she automatically then become a criminal if she changes her ticket for a different return date? Note a big deal really, I was mostly just curious why they would make such a deal over a difference of 10 days.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 5:18 pm

ecureilx wrote:m that a stamp with W is deadly .. no idea what that means ..
I realize you say you don't know what it means, but what makes it deadly? Does it imply you won't be allowed in next time?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 09 Jan 2012 5:40 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:m that a stamp with W is deadly .. no idea what that means ..
I realize you say you don't know what it means, but what makes it deadly? Does it imply you won't be allowed in next time?
Re: the stamp with a W ? from those I saw, post deportation, a passport with a W always entailed a 'entry refused' at arrival in Singapore and departure in the next flight back to country of origin ... as to what it means ? No .. I don't know .. I don't work for ICA ..

Hence, at my then employer, our strict request for any foreign candidate to scan / photocopy all the pages in the passport when applying for jobs .. since a few 'conveniently' forgot to mention that they been refused entry in Singapore ..

I am just a bit curious if ICA has more 'electronic' forms of keeping track such stuff, and writing the ticket #, NFE and all those are just a form of 'notifying' the passport holder about being 'watched'

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 1:43 pm

ecureilx wrote:that a stamp with W is deadly .. no idea what that means ..

Found out what that "W" stamp means. It's your 'exit' stamp from the Woodlands checkpoint, that's all. Tuas has a "T". I'm guessing it's 'deadly' because so many of those that have it are were trying to extend their SVP, and eventually will be told 'no'.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 2:49 pm

zzm9980 wrote:

Found out what that "W" stamp means. It's your 'exit' stamp from the Woodlands checkpoint, that's all. Tuas has a "T". I'm guessing it's 'deadly' because so many of those that have it are were trying to extend their SVP, and eventually will be told 'no'.
W with a number like - W12 or W6 ?? or just W ?? :)

W with a number yah, I saw a girl being denied entry at Tuas having a W followed by a number ..

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 2:59 pm

From Vietnam? Reminds me about the GF case.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 4:52 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

W with a number like - W12 or W6 ?? or just W ?? :)

W with a number yah, I saw a girl being denied entry at Tuas having a W followed by a number ..
Probably just the ICA agent's number? Why would they mark the passport in any special way when all of this information could be conveyed in the computer? If the person you saw being denied at Tuas wasn't Malaysian, it makes sense their passport would have either a W or a T on the last chop... Anyway,

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 5:01 pm

For those who are confused (Ecu lol)...

Google Image search on 'Singapore exit stamp'... and there in the top lines are examples of the W stamp...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 5:08 pm

JR8 wrote:For those who are confused (Ecu lol)...

Google Image search on 'Singapore exit stamp'... and there in the top lines are examples of the W stamp...
Yeah, as I told Ecu just now via PM, I was pointed to someone in theory would should know to the Wikipedia page that documents it :P

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 5:09 pm

JR8 wrote:For those who are confused (Ecu lol)...

Moi is only standing up for W- with a number - W12, W3, W24 :)

Which is NOT in the photo search results .. !!!

:)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 5:22 pm

ecureilx wrote: Moi is only standing up for W- with a number - W12, W3, W24 :)

Which is NOT in the photo search results .. !!!

:)

Ok find proof your kind of chops exist then :)