Singapore Expats

Considering Singapore - How is the Social life and dating?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:41 pm

Tony3d wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Yeh... but... am I gonna get laid?? First date?
I stay far away from girls that are going to give it up on the very first date, it always means trouble in one way or another...
It just means sex... the trouble only comes from false promises you might make to get those panties down.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:47 pm

Mebbe Tony a verging? :?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:54 pm

Tony3d wrote:
I stay far away from girls that are going to give it up on the very first date, it always means trouble in one way or another...
Silly boy. It's a damned sight cheaper if you can get laid on the very first date! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AndyWillie
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyWillie » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 1:29 am

QRM wrote:
JR8 wrote:You don't get any of those 5 without a career though do you :cool:
I know a lot of folks with the 5 c without having worked a day in their life....
Same here. there are ppl born with a silver spoon

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 1:39 am

Well good luck to them I say. There is no point making it if you and your family can't enjoy it eh?

AndyWillie
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyWillie » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 1:39 am

i think sg is rather open to dating foreigners. read this: More S'poreans open to dating foreigners

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 1:41 am

AndyWillie wrote:i think sg is rather open to dating foreigners. read this: More S'poreans open to dating foreigners
I don't think I need to, I already married one... :cool:

Tony3d

Post by Tony3d » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 5:58 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Silly boy. It's a damned sight cheaper if you can get laid on the very first date! :cool:
Well, I guess that all depends on what you are looking for, I just don't want to be alone with no one to talk to in a foreign country.

nakatago wrote: If I were you, I'd worry about the Singapore government rejecting my work visa first, if a company hasn't rejected my job application yet.

I think Valve is hiring. Also, stay away from EA.
I know how EA opporates all too well, my goal for my future used to be getting a job with Bioware up in Canada, but now Bioware is owned by EA and it makes things a bit more complicated. I am not saying Bioware is out of the question, but with EA in the picture it isn't a cut and dry decision anymore.

I have heard Valve is one of the best studios to work for, but they have no studios near Arizona, so I have yet to get any firsthand expereince with anyone from there. I am deffinatly applying there though, along with 200 other companies.

I'm just in the process of narrowing down where I want to and don't want to apply.

I'm one of those people that researches every aspect of a decision before I narrow down my choices, and this is probably the only part of my research I can't find a very clear answer on.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 8:44 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
Tony3d wrote:
It just means sex... the trouble only comes from false promises you might make to get those panties down.
+1

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 8:48 am

To contribute as an optimist:
Lucas Film has quite a bit of operations here. It includes their game design studio. Go to there page and check out open positions.

To contribute as a pragmatist:
Move to California Bay area, or maybe Montreal, or one of the other few 'video game hot spots' instead. Your pay here in Asia will be absolute shit unless you're John Carmack or someone of equal name recognition. Also, you have yellow fever, you just don't know it yet. Based on your posts, my guess is you're going to have just as much (or as little) luck meeting an Asian in the US, especially California. You'll find a lot more than will appreciate you for what you're striving to be (a starving video game designer) in California than you will here.

Tony3d

Post by Tony3d » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 9:03 am

zzm9980 wrote:To contribute as an optimist:
Also, you have yellow fever, you just don't know it yet. Based on your posts, my guess is you're going to have just as much (or as little) luck meeting an Asian in the US, especially California. You'll find a lot more than will appreciate you for what you're striving to be (a starving video game designer) in California than you will here.
Actually, I have a large preference toward Hispanic girls, but have a long list of bad expereince that has resulted. But I would be in South America right now if they had any game studios on the entire continent.

I mainly just want to move out of this country for 2 - 5 years so I can have a better understanding of the world outside. I just want to go expereince different things while I am still young.

That, and the idea that I might be viewed as interesting/exotic is very intriguing to me. I can guarantee you that this has nothing to do with me looking for Asian girls, though the idea of girls finding me interesting is amusing.

Singapore is just the next English speaking country on my list of places to research.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:24 am

Tony3d wrote:
Also, you have yellow fever, you just don't know it yet. Based on your posts, my guess is you're going to have just as much (or as little) luck meeting an Asian in the US, especially California. You'll find a lot more than will appreciate you for what you're striving to be (a starving video game designer) in California than you will here.
Actually, I have a large preference toward Hispanic girls, but have a long list of bad expereince that has resulted. But I would be in South America right now if they had any game studios on the entire continent.

I mainly just want to move out of this country for 2 - 5 years so I can have a better understanding of the world outside. I just want to go expereince different things while I am still young.

That, and the idea that I might be viewed as interesting/exotic is very intriguing to me. I can guarantee you that this has nothing to do with me looking for Asian girls, though the idea of girls finding me interesting is amusing.

Singapore is just the next English speaking country on my list of places to research.
Try LA then. Lots of game studios and cute hispanic girls.

Singapore is a different experience, but not the place I'd recommend for someone like you looking for what you say you're looking for. If you come to Singapore, it will be as a "hopping off" point to visit other places in South East Asia. But with the budget you're likely to have (if you can even get a job+pass, that's a real challenge honestly in this case), that may be cost prohibitive.

For your case, I would highly recommend picking a country and going there to teach English. (I'd recommend China, and strongly recommend against Korea or Japan, based on anecdotes from those who have done the same and personal preferences) Your budget will actually be better comparatively (more spending money), and you'll be in a much better position to actually meet open minded people and experience local culture. (Not just for dating either)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:27 am

zzm9980 wrote:For your case, I would highly recommend picking a country and going there to teach English. (I'd recommend China, and strongly recommend against Korea or Japan, based on anecdotes from those who have done the same and personal preferences) Your budget will actually be better comparatively (more spending money), and you'll be in a much better position to actually meet open minded people and experience local culture. (Not just for dating either)
To add on, I'd recommend Vietnam and Thailand too. Based on my backpacking experience and meeting gazillion Westerners who are/were teaching English there.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:50 am

Tony3d wrote:

You can consider Australia if you want. It has some nice offers for 3D artists, English speaking country, and pretty mixed-up.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:05 am

v4jr4 wrote:
Tony3d wrote:

You can consider Australia if you want. It has some nice offers for 3D artists, English speaking country, and pretty mixed-up.
Not as a practically fresh grad he won't. Australian companies prefer that you're already there before even interviewing you. But Tony being as young as he is, will have some difficulty qualifying for a visa on his own. He can certainly try but shouldn't get his hopes up. Moreover, he'll be competing with locals and the numerous Indians, Pakistanis, Filipinos and Chinese who are way ahead of him migrating to Oz, all with working experience. He can try going for a working holiday visa but that will let him only work up to 6 months per employer. But who knows? He may get lucky.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."