Singapore Expats

Citizenship chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
calmhappy

Post by calmhappy » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 1:11 pm

It is possible to have some waiting at that time. Because when renounce Malaysia citizenship, u need to have 3 trips to the High Com, first get an appointment to submit the form K which is about few months later. After submit form K, u have no passport and stay stateless for maybe a week before u get a letter from Malaysia High Com. Then bring this letter to ICA to take Oath. After take Oath only can apply Singapore passport.

But now Malaysia High Com improve a lot...
After get approval letter from ICA, not need appointment to submit form K (here shorten few months of waiting). After submit form K together with Malaysia passport and IC, can get the letter in 3 working days. Then take Oath in ICA follow to the appointment date and time stated in the ICA approval letter (normally about 1 month from the date u receive ICA approval letter).

calmhappy

Post by calmhappy » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 1:15 pm

last time, for the several months of waiting for form K submition appointment, u still keep the Malaysia passport and still can travel.

wtj

Post by wtj » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 8:38 pm

gd news to share, i juz received the in-principle approval letter!
I'm nw supposed to complete a SC e-journey, Expereriential Tour and a Community Sharing Session before I will get a formal approval letter.

Hope my case will provide more hope for other applicants out there. :)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 03 Apr 2012 4:49 am

wtj wrote:gd news to share, i juz received the in-principle approval letter!
I'm nw supposed to complete a SC e-journey, Expereriential Tour and a Community Sharing Session before I will get a formal approval letter.

Hope my case will provide more hope for other applicants out there. :)
Well well well... At least the info came out of the horse's mouth on this case and Congratulation . !!!

Please do not fumble again this time
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse » Sun, 22 Jul 2012 9:50 am

Hi Wtj/Madscientist

Could you let me know the implications of not acceptingthe citizenship offer?

What will happen to your PR?

Your valuable input is appreciated

friendlybossy

Post by friendlybossy » Sun, 22 Jul 2012 7:27 pm

Apocalypse wrote:Hi Wtj/Madscientist

Not accepting the citizenship offer does not affect your PR status, as long as you have employment in the past 3 years out of the 5 years period before you renew your REP, your chance of it being renewed is favorable. However, why are you applying for Citizenship and then decide not to accept it when it is approved in principal?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Jul 2012 11:20 pm

friendlybossy wrote:

Not accepting the citizenship offer does not affect your PR status, as long as you have employment in the past 3 years out of the 5 years period before you renew your REP, your chance of it being renewed is favorable. However, why are you applying for Citizenship and then decide not to accept it when it is approved in principal?
How do you know this? Please share a link or do you have anecdotal evidence that has transpired within the last 18 months or since the GE?

Otherwise, I would have to say you information is dangerous.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

friendlybossy

Post by friendlybossy » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:12 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
friendlybossy wrote:

How do you know this? Please share a link or do you have anecdotal evidence that has transpired within the last 18 months or since the GE?

I believe you are referring to the Re-entry permit (REP) instead of the PR status? PR status is permanent as long as one does not travel out of Singapore with an expired REP and meets the good character criteria of a PR. Applying for citizenship and do not complete the subsequent formalities to finalize the application is not a crime and will not affect the PR status. There are many cases when applicants cannot complete the formalities such as studying oversea and cannot return or unable to renounce foreign citizenship due to tax and other nationality obligations to the foreign countries. As for the effect on REP renewal, it depends on many factors and I do not have comment on that but if one continuously working in Singapore and paying tax, the chance of REP not approved is not so common. As for published statistics, ICA turns down about 2% of PRs’ REP annually.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 2:30 am

I have to disagree on some of the posts by other poster.
You have gone thru the application and being accepted in principle. That itself is an achievement
Your PR is not a given but an entitlement. Though your PR does not expire and your REP does, there are many ways the Gahmen can remove you from this country as your are only a PR period not a citizen hence you have no right to live here if you are classified as "undesirable immigrant"
To reject will affect on your reapplication in the future unless you have very good reason of rejecting.
Citizenship is the last stage of living here hence the Gahmen "expects" you to really understand the implication and the consequences of living here. If you alone then it only affect you but if you here with your family then it will severely dent your family future in many ways than one
Thread wisely on this route. I have seen and gone thru it myself hence like SMS said be FORWARNED is to be FOREARMED
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 7:01 am

friendlybossy wrote:
friendlybossy wrote: Not accepting the citizenship offer does not affect your PR status, as long as you have employment in the past 3 years out of the 5 years period before you renew your REP, your chance of it being renewed is favorable. However, why are you applying for Citizenship and then decide not to accept it when it is approved in principal?

I believe you are referring to the Re-entry permit (REP) instead of the PR status? PR status is permanent as long as one does not travel out of Singapore with an expired REP and meets the good character criteria of a PR. Applying for citizenship and do not complete the subsequent formalities to finalize the application is not a crime and will not affect the PR status. There are many cases when applicants cannot complete the formalities such as studying oversea and cannot return or unable to renounce foreign citizenship due to tax and other nationality obligations to the foreign countries. As for the effect on REP renewal, it depends on many factors and I do not have comment on that but if one continuously working in Singapore and paying tax, the chance of REP not approved is not so common. As for published statistics, ICA turns down about 2% of PRs’ REP annually.
But did those 2% statistics include the reasons for turning down the REP renewal. Or are you just guessing? Please, get your facts correct before shooting willy-nilly.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:16 pm

friendlybossy wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: How do you know this? Please share a link or do you have anecdotal evidence that has transpired within the last 18 months or since the GE?

But did those 2% statistics include the reasons for turning down the REP renewal. Or are you just guessing? Please, get your facts correct before shooting willy-nilly.

Thanks for your replies, friendlybossy,madscientist & sundaymorningstaple.

My dilemma is I am in an overseas country posting and moved with my family, I am not in a position now to accept the citizenship, as I have to fly back to Singapore do all the formalities.

Can I request to defer this until I come back to Singapore?

My PR is still valid for two more years.

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 1:15 pm

This.

If you don't come back now, when you do come back, they may well not renew your REP. If that happens, you are stuck in Singapore as leaving Singapore without the REP is tantamount to giving up your PR. This is what I would be afraid of, especially considering you are already out of the country. If that happens, will you still be able to find a job in Singapore? Will you be happy to be a prisoner of Singapore (PR without a REP)?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 2:15 pm

Apocalypse wrote:My dilemma is I am in an overseas country posting and moved with my family, I am not in a position now to accept the citizenship, as I have to fly back to Singapore do all the formalities.
Here's what I don't understand about your situation - you are a Permanent Resident of Singapore, who has apparently been offered citizenship, yet you are not able to even visit the country?

Is your overseas assignment via your Singapore employer (with your salary still being paid in Singapore)?

Did you apply for Singapore citizenship, or was it offerred to you by the Singaporean authorities without you having applied? (I've seen examples on this forum where citizenship has been offerred at the time of REP renewal, but that doesn't seem to fit your case).
Be careful what you wish for

Apocalypse

Post by Apocalypse » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 2:26 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
Apocalypse wrote:My dilemma is I am in an overseas country posting and moved with my family, I am not in a position now to accept the citizenship, as I have to fly back to Singapore do all the formalities.
Here's what I don't understand about your situation - you are a Permanent Resident of Singapore, who has apparently been offered citizenship, yet you are not able to even visit the country?

Is your overseas assignment via your Singapore employer (with your salary still being paid in Singapore)?

Did you apply for Singapore citizenship, or was it offerred to you by the Singaporean authorities without you having applied? (I've seen examples on this forum where citizenship has been offerred at the time of REP renewal, but that doesn't seem to fit your case).

Applied for it about almost 20 months ago, and now working for the same company overseas and salary is drawn here not in Singapore.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 2:42 pm

Well if that's the case I'd expect your chances of REP renewal would be in jeopardy in any case (regardless of the SC situation). But I'll defer to MS, SMS, etc. on that as they are the experts.

The expression "You can't have your cake and eat it" springs to mind.
Be careful what you wish for