Singapore Expats

Easy weight loss - need advice

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 3:25 pm

And now, I just realize that the processed foods are scary, even in tomato ketchup :mad:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 4:44 pm

The only thing I will eat that comes out of a can or bag is Tuna in either water or brine. I do not eat any processed foods. That stuff is full of sodium and dog knows what!

Except for the occasional beer that is! Thought I'd bring that up before some of the regulars Eagles brought it up! :-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 6:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The only thing I will eat that comes out of a can or bag is Tuna in either water or brine.
Not salmon? I heard wild salmon is good.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 7:41 pm

You can, but salmon is oily and the oil is like that of Mackeral, harder to digest than that found in Tuna. Of course, if you don't have it daily, and not in large quantities, then you should be fine.

Basically, to lose weight rapidly and successfully, you need to work on both your intake of food (the right kinds of food) ensuring that they are low to no carbohydrates, a balance between the protein source and the vegetable source and to ensure that those foods that have certain chemicals that can trigger hunger sensors or trigger insulin spikes are avoided where possible. There are tricks like eating apples, for instance. or Tomatoes. Using more than a small/medium tomato will give you more of certain chemicals than you need to prevent cravings. Eating several small "cherry tomatoes" is worse and the concentration of chemical in a cherry tomato is the same as that in a medium normal tomato.

On other thing. I no longer eat pork. At least on a regular basis (maybe one a month or less) unless I go to tony roma's! 8-[ And I still prefer lean beef, so Wagyu Beef is out of the question. I don't like my beef that marbled with fat even before I lost all the weight. If you have a weight problem, if you don't take the time to get your head straight at the same time, you are just wasting your time. If you think you can go back to eating "normally" you are wrong. You were eating abnormally. Otherwise, you wouldn't have gotten fat in the first place. So, you have to lose the weight in your mind first. Then the dieting become just a process.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 8:39 am

I think I need to add up with one more plan: reduce sodium intake. Your diet is good since no MSG involved (unless for the stuff from Tony Roma's) :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:10 am

If I go out to eat, if I cannot eat properly, I try to eat in moderation. If I stray too much for a weekend (I don't normally eat outside anyway), then I will go back to eating 'by the book' for a couple days and that seems to work. But if you are not careful, you can weigh yourself the next day and say, wow, last night really didn't make too much difference. But it will normally take two days for the damage to actually show up on the scales. So, you can deceive yourself if you have a mind to. Like I said, most of it is "accepting" that you have an eating disorder (mind) and needs to be kept in constant check or figuring out what triggers it and working on solving that problem.

My 2¢ worth. :)

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 10:33 am

I agree. Once in a while, it's okay to feed the "sin for food". But steamboat and buffet are the main trap. While doing exercise is a must, for the people who don't usually bring their own lunch have to be extra careful. We don't know what kind of trap if we have lunch in hawkers or food courts. :roll:

It reminds me about a banner at Chinese Garden's hawker, from HPB, about healthy foods and the calories. Since Singaporeans will go to army, I guess most of them are having good habit in maintaining healthy lifestyle, no? :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:15 am

No! :-/

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:18 am

v4jr4 wrote:I agree. Once in a while, it's okay to feed the "sin for food". But steamboat and buffet are the main trap. While doing exercise is a must, for the people who don't usually bring their own lunch have to be extra careful. We don't know what kind of trap if we have lunch in hawkers or food courts. :roll:

It reminds me about a banner at Chinese Garden's hawker, from HPB, about healthy foods and the calories. Since Singaporeans will go to army, I guess most of them are having good habit in maintaining healthy lifestyle, no? :D
That obviously Singaporean fat dude on the train says otherwise (saw him with a Singaporean passport, that's how I know and he's around my age and he looks healthy enough so I know he's still obligated with reservist duties). Wears Singapore army-branded tank top; shorts but obviously has been missing out on a couple of running sessions.

So yeah, army => no guarantee of having a healthy lifestyle.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:28 am

Really? But once in a while, Singaporeans will be called back to the camp for some exercise, right? If they are not fit enough, they will kena scold (or so I heard).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:30 am

Only time they need to get into some sort of shape is during their IPPT test. Don't know how often that happens, but obviously not often enough.

Also depend on their Profile PES level & age range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPPT_Award_Badge

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:38 am

v4jr4 wrote:Really? But once in a while, Singaporeans will be called back to the camp for some exercise, right? If they are not fit enough, they will kena scold (or so I heard).
They will undergo RT, which spells few more weeks of hell and screwed up routine all because you need to rush to your base to report for RT.

So it is very important to them that they must not fall into RT - at all. That is why you see many SC men trained really hard in their jogging.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 12:18 pm

I see.

Alright, now about the tactics for exercise. I heard that exercise in the morning will give you more benefits. Usually, I go jogging about 30-45 minutes after office hour. Once, I tried jogging in the morning, after eating 1 banana (yes, insulin spikes), and I fail to accomplish the same routine. Some links said that it's due to the energy left after a good night sleep. But if it really helps to burn fat faster, I don't have a clue :roll:

Does it matter for you guys to do exercise before/after work?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 1:35 pm

At almost 65, no, it doesn't matter but I hate to get up early, so it wouldn't make any difference as I wouldn't get up earlier even if it did. :-)

veralam06

Post by veralam06 » Mon, 23 Jul 2012 3:17 pm

All boil down to 3 things
1) discipline
2) discipline
3) discipline

SMS, am I correct?