Singapore Expats

Is Flyscoot safe to fly?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
IOP
Regular
Regular

Is Flyscoot safe to fly?

Post by IOP » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 1:46 pm

Here they say
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoot

"Engines derated to non-ER standard"

what does it mean? what about safety overall?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 1:55 pm

After a bit of research, that just means the engines aren't rated for "extended range". SQ did the same thing with that model apparently. If the planes aren't flying extended range (think SIN to ORD over the pole), no need lah!

If their planes were dropping out of the sky I think we'd hear about it.
By Comparison, TigerAir has been grounded (more than once I believe) over safety concerns. They're still around though.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 2:00 pm

'ER' is Extended Range. The aircraft were originally spec'd for very long distance flights and are now apparently not going to fly those routes. Hence a change of engine configuration. Nothing to do with safety whatsoever.
Be careful what you wish for

IOP
Regular
Regular

Post by IOP » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 2:05 pm

zzm9980 wrote: If their planes were dropping out of the sky I think we'd hear about it.
By Comparison, TigerAir has been grounded (more than once I believe) over safety concerns. They're still around though.
What about JetStar?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 2:20 pm

What about them? They're an airline that is regulated by the relevant authorities. Personally I would have no problem flying on their aircraft.

If you want to find some quantitative data about airline saftey (as opposed to just asking randomly about certain companies), take a look at www.airsafe.com.

IOP
Regular
Regular

Post by IOP » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 2:41 pm

But FlyScoot buys old plans from SIA, isn't it?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 2:44 pm

Correct. And your point is...? :???:

IOP
Regular
Regular

Post by IOP » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 2:48 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Correct. And your point is...? :???:
Older airplanes worse resist to turbulent condition, right?
and it is known that SIA sells older planes to keep its safety records.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 2:58 pm

IOP wrote:Older airplanes worse resist to turbulent condition, right?
Wrong. The age of the plane is not in itself a factor in its overall safety. The maintenance of the plane is the most important factor. Older planes can be maintainined in a perfectly safe condition for a very long time.
Known by whom? Airlines will sell planes when they reach a certain age for a number of reasons. For example, newer models will normally be more fuel efficient, plus they can be fitted with the most modern cabin environment. And once the cost of the aircaraft has been amortised over its initial operating period, it may not be considered efficient to continue paying for the major maintenance overhauls needed to ensure airworthiness. And SIA like to be able to boast that they have one of the youngest fleets in the business - that's about marketing, not safety.

Do you seriously think that SIA would allow its subsidiary airline (Scoot) to fly unsafe aircraft? It's a ridiculous suggestion.
Last edited by Mi Amigo on Wed, 18 Jul 2012 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IOP
Regular
Regular

Post by IOP » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 3:01 pm

Mi Amigo wrote: Do you seriously think that SIA would allow its subsidiary airline (Scoot) to fly unsafe aircraft? It's a ridiculous suggestion.
It's not SIA, it is Scoot.
And if something happens to Scoot, it will not hit SIA so hardly.
By the end of the day, they are making money.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 3:09 pm

Scoot is (I believe) a wholly owned subsidiary of SIA. It seems likely that the aircraft maintenance will be carried out by the same group that maintains other SIA group planes. If there were an incident with a Scoot plan, of course it would reflect on the parent company.

I think your assertion that Scoot would knowingly fly unsafe aircaft is is completely absurd. Aside from any moral implications, accidents are extremely bad for business. To quote Stelios Haji-Ioannou (founder of EasyJet): "If you think safety is expensive, try having an accident."

I don't think there's any point in continuing this discussion, as frankly your assertions seem rather irrational at best.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 3:09 pm

IOP wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:Correct. And your point is...? :???:
Older airplanes worse resist to turbulent condition, right?
Not correct. Airframe wear is much more complex than that. An airplane that flies between Singapore and KL 5 times a day has many more take off and landings per hour of flight than a long haul trans Pacific flight. In addition to the stresses of landing, the pressurization/depressurization cycles fatigue the metal.

Things just don't break off in turbulent weather... period... the plane would be completely unflyable due to weather conditions long before the forces were strong enough to break off a wing or tail surface.

Old airplanes are like old cars... more stuff keeps breaking... not flight safety stuff... stuff like baggage compartments that rattle or don't close right... or old seats and worn carpet.

Most airframes are designed to run for about 20 years... more if long haul, somewhat less if short haul... the last of the 747-400's in the air are now approaching 20 years. But many of these will be placed into service elsewhere as freighters and/or on private/tour airlines.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 3:34 pm

Actually Scoot is flying Boeing 777 planes handed over by SIA. It is a fact.

However that doesn't mean that these planes are old etc, and to doubt a Singaporean airline? I get it if it is China or even American but we are talking about SIA. You have your paranoia in wrong places, my friend.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 4:10 pm

IOP wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote: Do you seriously think that SIA would allow its subsidiary airline (Scoot) to fly unsafe aircraft? It's a ridiculous suggestion.
It's not SIA, it is Scoot.
And if something happens to Scoot, it will not hit SIA so hardly.
By the end of the day, they are making money.

SIA is Scoot and everybody knows it......in the same way that everybody knows Jet* is part of Qantas such you can even earn FFP on Jet*.

If you have a problem with old SIA planes then maybe you have to stop flying many airlines, including Cathay that routinely take the older units from SIA for their own fleet!

You are scare moungering for no sensible reason.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

IOP
Regular
Regular

Post by IOP » Wed, 18 Jul 2012 4:36 pm

Thank you guys, now I feel stilled.