Singapore Expats

Is the tenant responsible for the following (when moving out

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 8:07 pm

There is another element too. As far as I can tell there is no concept in SG of the professional inventory clerk. To give you an idea, a typical check-in report on the units I let in London will about 50 pages long!

From what I've seen in SG any inventory/condition report is drawn up by the landlord or his agent, might be a few pages long and as a result a lot goes undocumented. Add in some unscrupulous landlords and it's a recipe for disputes.

Search By

ABC2012

Post by ABC2012 » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:19 am

The agent kind of suggested it when he brought visitors over for viewing.

In all fairness, wear and tear is a very subjective/obscure term. We had rented an apt once where there was already something wrong with the entire plumbing of the house. All the agent did was to get someone who claimed to be a plumber armed with a long stick and just "unblocked" the toilets for us. As expected, the blocking occurred again every few months (even for a toilet we hardly use) If the landlord is not willing to maintain his/her house to a good standard by investing in a good and qualified plumber, I dont see why we tenants have to keep paying $100-150 each time.

If professional clean is expected of tenants, it should be mentioned at the very beginning and stated clearly in the TA. The same goes for cooker filters and expensive lightbulbs which are difficult to find ( I wouldnt rent the house if I had known that I needed to spend something like 1-2K to make the house professional clean and everything fixed for your next tenants. There should also be proofs from the LL that things like filters etc are brand new when we first move in; otherwise I shouldnt be asked to pay for the full amount (things depreciate over time so I should only be paying the depreciating amount)

ABC2012

Post by ABC2012 » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:23 am

It's interesting how aircon maintenance is clearly stated in the TA but not for the other kinds of maintenance ....

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:37 am

ABC2012 wrote: If professional clean is expected of tenants, it should be mentioned at the very beginning and stated clearly in the TA. The same goes for cooker filters and expensive lightbulbs which are difficult to find ( I wouldnt rent the house if I had known that I needed to spend something like 1-2K to make the house professional clean and everything fixed for your next tenants. There should also be proofs from the LL that things like filters etc are brand new when we first move in; otherwise I shouldnt be asked to pay for the full amount (things depreciate over time so I should only be paying the depreciating amount)

Chill out eh? :) Your obligations are determined by what is written in the Tenancy Agreement.

What the landlords agent 'suggests' is irrelevant and you getting worked up about it is just a waste of time.

ABC2012

Post by ABC2012 » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:47 am

As long as they don't get it done themselves after handover and deduct from my deposit directly ....

ABC2012

Post by ABC2012 » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:50 am

I agree with you totally on the professional inventory clerk. Better to invest time on making everything clear before moving in. It would be a better idea if a third party/organisation holds the deposit instead of the LL.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:05 am

ABC2012 wrote:It would be a better idea if a third party/organisation holds the deposit instead of the LL.
Been brought up before (search for "escrow"). If memory serves, it did not, does not happen.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 3:49 pm

ABC2012 wrote:As long as they don't get it done themselves after handover and deduct from my deposit directly ....
There is a big legal difference between what they are entitled to do and bill, and what they might do anyway and try to bill. You remedy the latter in the Small Claims Court.

Agree re: 3rd party holding of deposits.

ABC2012

Post by ABC2012 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 10:43 pm

Just an update that we managed to get most of our deposit back minus a few hundred dollars for getting expensive technicians to "look at" electrical appliances which are in perfect working order. But we were too tired of this whole thing to argue on that. Just happy it was just a few hundred dollars ....

This is the game they are playing. Tire you out so that you would not bother to dispute any "claims" they have ....

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 11:28 pm

I think an argument could be made that 3rd party cost of any testing appliances is due on the landlord, after all he didn't have to engage them, he could have done the testing himself.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 09 Aug 2012 10:55 am

ABC2012 wrote:Just an update that we managed to get most of our deposit back minus a few hundred dollars for getting expensive technicians to "look at" electrical appliances which are in perfect working order. But we were too tired of this whole thing to argue on that. Just happy it was just a few hundred dollars ....

This is the game they are playing. Tire you out so that you would not bother to dispute any "claims" they have ....
Disgusting. All to pinch whatever they can off you.

I agree with JR8 that the cost of independent 'assessment' by 'qualified personnel' should be borne by the landlord.

topmituo

Post by topmituo » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 6:56 am

Supposedly, you are not responsible for all those. I too faced the same problem whereby my landlord wants me to clean the fridge, and the toilet. However, due to the fact that he had OCD and he says he will check everything on the last day before returning the deposit, I complied. It is really terrible that you do not know if your landlord has OCD. Coz the living experience is terrible....

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 8:57 am

topmituo wrote:Supposedly, you are not responsible for all those. I too faced the same problem whereby my landlord wants me to clean the fridge, and the toilet. However, due to the fact that he had OCD and he says he will check everything on the last day before returning the deposit, I complied. It is really terrible that you do not know if your landlord has OCD. Coz the living experience is terrible....
It's not OCD; it's a money grab. I know someone who upon exit inspection, the landlady brushed her finger against the window sill to see if there's dust. Probably wanted to charge exorbitantly to clean dust that reappears every five seconds.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

moolh2000

Post by moolh2000 » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:14 pm

topmituo wrote:Supposedly, you are not responsible for all those. I too faced the same problem whereby my landlord wants me to clean the fridge, and the toilet. However, due to the fact that he had OCD and he says he will check everything on the last day before returning the deposit, I complied. It is really terrible that you do not know if your landlord has OCD. Coz the living experience is terrible....
We had a somehwat similar experience and it ended up in the Small Claims Court where we settled during the first round i.e. Consultation.... :roll: