Singapore Expats

Google calls out Singapore on gay rights

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Google calls out Singapore on gay rights

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 8:35 pm

I wonder if/when this is going to hit local media? They're pursuing this globally, but I suspect calling out Singapore due to their expansion here. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of their employees are running into visa issues for their partners.
"Singapore wants to be a global financial center and world leader and we can push them on the fact that being a global center and a world leader means you have to treat all people the same, irrespective of their sexual orientation."
http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/9/314629 ... gbt-rights

Try to avoid the comment section there, they make the posters at Asia1 look enlightened.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 9:38 pm

Yah funny isn't it that they oppress gays in a country where so many people are gay.

Is there a tradition of 'accidentally' outing gay (hypocrite) politicians as there is in other countries? No... I expect the consequences would be bitch-slapping vengeance.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 9:51 pm

JR8 wrote:Yah funny isn't it that they oppress gays in a country where so many people are gay.
Now now, just because of all of the guys walking around in skin-tight shirts and jeans, with designer man bags... :lol:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 9:59 pm

No I'm not being clever, I'm talking of direct experience. It would be interesting to write down a list of 'Every SGn I know' and work out the %age who are gay.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is 50%

p.s. Edit to add: Plus 4 trannies

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 5:51 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xIbAsumTmo

what bout talented trannys like this guy...would singapore ban him? :P

actually i just wanted to share the video hahahhaa :P

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 10 Jul 2012 6:04 pm

Wow, I bet she could crack coconuts between her thighs!

Wasn't expecting her to come out with songs like that :o :lol:

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:35 am

i have that song stuck in my head after watching it lol

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:14 am

Elton John had a god whinge about Singapore's anti-gay stance when he was here last year......

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 11 Jul 2012 12:12 pm

Having gay friends who are out for years, I think I have acquired gaydar...and boy, there are a lot of gay men out there who are obviously in denial just because gahmen say cannot!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 1:55 am

I firmly support the government's stand. Despite what popular media is trying to portray, it is 'abnormal'... and should it become normal, the entire human race will be threatened with extinction. For Singapore, the birth rate so low, it can least afford to promote this kind of thing.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 1:58 am

I doubt that decriminalising homosexual acts will lead to the end of world civilisation. :roll:

More to the point, no end of laws stop such acts going on anyway.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 6:37 am

malcontent wrote:I firmly support the government's stand. Despite what popular media is trying to portray, it is 'abnormal'... and should it become normal, the entire human race will be threatened with extinction. For Singapore, the birth rate so low, it can least afford to promote this kind of thing.
:roll: B!tc#, please. :roll:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 9:25 am

malcontent wrote:I firmly support the government's stand. Despite what popular media is trying to portray, it is 'abnormal'... and should it become normal, the entire human race will be threatened with extinction. For Singapore, the birth rate so low, it can least afford to promote this kind of thing.
I would be happy to see a statement coming from the government that their stand is because of the low birth rate. Could you supply one please?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 9:36 am

The point of the campaign is to de-criminalize gay behavior, not legalize gay marriage. Do you really think keeping gay behavior criminalized is resulting in more births? I can't imagine a lot of gay men thinking "Well gee, it's still against the law, I guess I better go have some children..."

Personally, my impression is the biggest roadblock to increasing the local birthrate is (most) Singaporean women, and the best thing the government could do is open the flood gate to foreign brides. Give the woman PR on the birth of her first child, and one LTVP for a relative of her choice per child there-after. That just might be too pragmatic for even the PAP though :P

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 10:13 am

wow haven't heard that excuse...the whole world will be threatened with extinction?

what makes you think gays prevent them from procreating? they're not all gay now but they still don't want babies.and I happen to know there are gays who do have kids and have a wife...