Singapore Expats

10 things I hate about Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Missyjkitten

Post by Missyjkitten » Tue, 03 Jul 2012 6:20 pm

Love your post and totally agree. Why are people just "hanging out" at the shopping mall and I don't even mean the teenagers! They are somewhat excused for not knowing any better ..
Everyday is the same with the same ol weather.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Wed, 04 Jul 2012 12:04 pm

JR8 wrote:Do you think it just and reasonable that if a person has choped a table with a packet of tissues, and they are nowhere to be seen, that you flick those onto the floor and sit down?
Ha ha! Usually straight on the floor, and the phrase 'nothing on the table when I sat there' spring to mind.....

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:08 pm

Tiles on walkways, stairs and ramps!!! Where they will inevitably get wet when it rains!!!

Making you cross 4-5 pedestrian crossings just so you could cross the street!!!

And for an English-speaking country, why do practically all movies come with Chinese subtitles?!

:x :x :x
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:28 pm

Here we go again....... :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Here we go again....... :cool:
Tiles! Freakin' tiles!!!!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 1:14 pm

nakatago wrote:
LOLlllllll I KNOW RIGHT?? My knee is still effed up 18 months later :x
Easily my worst Singapore experience ever was slipping on the tiles while 7.5 months pregnant and laying sprawled and bleeding in a puddle on the sidewalk while folks stepped over me and pretended not to notice.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 1:38 pm

poodlek wrote:
nakatago wrote:
LOLlllllll I KNOW RIGHT?? My knee is still effed up 18 months later :x
Easily my worst Singapore experience ever was slipping on the tiles while 7.5 months pregnant and laying sprawled and bleeding in a puddle on the sidewalk while folks stepped over me and pretended not to notice.
My wife and I watched a younger girl (late teens early 20s?) fall while walking on a sidewalk in the rain. She was in visible pain and looked to be clenching tears back. My wife grabbed her bags and I helped her get up. Once she was up and had her stuff, she had this glare like she was angrier that we helped her (or saw her fall! hah) than that she fell down. Must be a retarded "losing face" thing.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 1:41 pm

Nah, it was being rescued by a bunch of over 30 something FT Ang Mo dogooders that she was mad about. She had probably recently posted some FT hate crap on Stomp or FB and was afraid somebody who knew her might have seen it. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AjitS

Post by AjitS » Thu, 12 Jul 2012 5:03 pm

how funny is the original post... i really like singapore but how true are all those things.

however my pet hate was missed, people trying to enter a train before the people getting off have a chance to get off (and it even says everywere to allow people to alight first).

Grrrrrrrrr

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 12 Jul 2012 5:07 pm

AjitS wrote:how funny is the original post... i really like singapore but how true are all those things.

however my pet hate was missed, people trying to enter a train before the people getting off have a chance to get off (and it even says everywere to allow people to alight first).

Grrrrrrrrr
I always wished I have a staff or light sabre that I can hold horizontally as I step out of the train, so that those retards would have no choice but to duck aside if they don't want me to run them down.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 12 Jul 2012 5:22 pm

I used to carry a kelvar shafted Ping golfing umbrella specifically for that purpose as I had to get on at Tanjong Pagar and then change trains at Raffles Place

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:06 am

nakatago wrote:And for an English-speaking country, why do practically all movies come with Chinese subtitles?!
You mean it didnt occur to you that not everyone's first language is english?
poodlek wrote:Easily my worst Singapore experience ever was slipping on the tiles while 7.5 months pregnant and laying sprawled and bleeding in a puddle on the sidewalk while folks stepped over me and pretended not to notice.
What do you expect people to do? I tried to help a blind person cross the road once, and got abused for thinking she was disabled. Seriously? WTF? If thats the sort of treatment for being a nice guy, im going to just ignore everything.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:45 am

sensei_ wrote:
nakatago wrote:And for an English-speaking country, why do practically all movies come with Chinese subtitles?!
You mean it didnt occur to you that not everyone's first language is english?
poodlek wrote:Easily my worst Singapore experience ever was slipping on the tiles while 7.5 months pregnant and laying sprawled and bleeding in a puddle on the sidewalk while folks stepped over me and pretended not to notice.
What do you expect people to do? I tried to help a blind person cross the road once, and got abused for thinking she was disabled. Seriously? WTF? If thats the sort of treatment for being a nice guy, im going to just ignore everything.
That's pretty arrogant of you.

1. I'd understand it if this were China, Hong Kong or Taiwan. But this is Singapore where English is an official language and is claimed everyone speaks it. And why not Malay or Tamil, if we're gonna go with official language?

2. Visibly pregnant woman on the ground. Obviously some sort of assistance is needed. If the person refuses it, it's her problem not yours.

Oh yeah....it's Friday.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 11:29 am

When I saw sensei_'s post I wanted to reply but was totally gobsmacked and had to just move on before I said something I shouldn't have. :x

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 12:17 pm

I hate ordering stuff over the phone...because when i get a local customer agent, I can't understand their english. Then when I request them to repeat it, they come back and say "can you understand english? " lol yah right... :roll: