Singapore Expats

expiring foreign drivers license

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
volki

expiring foreign drivers license

Post by volki » Tue, 03 Jul 2012 3:30 am

Hi everyone, hoping I can get a clear answer as I've read thru the conversion requirements and site a few times and seem to be blind or missing it.

OQuestion is can I convert an expired aus dl?

Arrived on dependant pass visa may 2012 and valid for 2 years
Foreign license issued Apr 2010 expires July 2012

I have an internationl drivers permit that most likely expires with dl. (Doesn't seem to show expiry date on the paper tho)

Should I convert early? Is it possible to even do that? Thank you in advance

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Tue, 03 Jul 2012 1:59 pm

Made an appointment. Sat the test and if you do it during office hours you can get the new license straight away. After hours you need to go back to collect it.
Zeenit

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Jul 2012 2:58 pm

If you plan on driving here, it's a gamble that is foolish to take, else you might have to do the whole 9 yards. There is nothing that says you have to wait a year to convert, only that you must convert within 12 months.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 03 Jul 2012 3:03 pm

Have either of you answered the OPs question, I'm totally confused :???:

p.s. I realise you have a year after arrival to convert, but OPs license is expired.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 Jul 2012 3:10 pm

I was under the impression that if it expired in July 2012 that is would be the end of July as he mentioned that "internationl drivers permit that most likely expires with dl" and "Should I convert early?" like he though he had to wait a year. So I'm thinking that he's planned to wait until 12 months are up and by then his DL will be well and truly expired. Now I guess we wait on him to clarify for us what he meant.

If he books now, even if it expires, as long as it does so after booking his tests I would think there would be some grace period that the Police allow for. But I cannot say for certain. Seems like somebody on here before did just that but I haven't done a search yet.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 03 Jul 2012 3:34 pm

Oops you're right. I had focused on the 'Can I convert an expired license', not the fact that it still has a few weeks left to run.

kuzyone.

Post by kuzyone. » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 12:54 pm

I would sign up and schedule the conversion test as soon as possible. My license expired in June and I needed to drive a car in the first week of July. I needed to appeal to the traffic police to allow an early test date as the standard waiting time can be up to three months.

I signed up to all three driving schools to schedule the earliest test date and found BBDC to have the most up to date test schedule dates. The next date they have listed in August 21st, but this changes daily.

The test is very easy and you can buy a book with all the rules. I would try and take a few test practices as the questions can at times be tricky. I think the passing grade needs to be above 85% as I had failed one test exam with 82%.

To answer your initial question my license was expired when I wrote the test. They didn't seem to care too much about it, but it was only expired two weeks.