Singapore Expats

$300 for a stolen NRIC!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

$300 for a stolen NRIC!

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 04 Jul 2012 11:34 pm

My wallet was pinched in Paris. My blue IC stolen. The ICA consider it to be "lost" and want $300! Any ideas how to get around this?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:13 am

There isn't any way to get around it. My son lost his and that's what it costs. If you are caught without an NRIC I believe that you can be fined as well, so it pays to just bite the bullet.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 9:56 am

SMS, not even with a copy of police report? What about insurance? Do you think it is covered?

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 10:09 am

i think if you make a police report it is considered stolen (long ago someone told me this - unsure of the authenticity of the source)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:39 am

I believe the police report would have had to be made in Paris though, not in Singapore, although he could try. However, he would still need to get a new NRIC and I don't think that they would "forgive" the replacement costs as there is no way that the police report could be verified. We get employees making police report for stolen wallets with their NEA licenses all the time. Most of the time they "lost" their wallets during the day so they go make a police report so that NEA will issue another license (but they still have to pay the $20 fee for the new license - as I'm sure you already know).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:52 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:(but they still have to pay the $20 fee for the new license - as I'm sure you already know).
Who, me? :oops:

Well $20 is peanut compared to whooping
$300...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:35 pm

When you worked in the industry before, I'm sure you had some staffs who lost their licenses didn't you?

But, yeah, I'd say the NRIC is worth a fair bit more than the NEA license, wouldn't you? You can't travel very far with the NEA license. Don't think you can cash a cheque with it either. :wink:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 1:25 pm

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=75
Fees
First loss : $100
Second and subsequent losses : $300
Payment can be made by NETS or CashCard.

Processing Time
First loss : 1 month
Second and subsequent losses : 3 months
Did OP lose NRIC previously? I can't find the link now, but I recall reading an MP asking or stating that the reason for the high cost is to discourage people from "losing" their ICs and having them re-used as fake IDs.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 3:41 pm

with Police report, you still have to pay the fine.

My wallet lost before and I make a police report. Still need to pay the fine.
I make a photocopy of the police report and carry with me. In case , police want to check your ID while waiting for the replacement NRIC to be ready.

Before the price tag raise to $100 , $300.
It was like $50 for 1st time, $100 for 2nd time, $200 for 3rd time onwards.
You will be surprise with number of ppl losing their NRIC 5 time, 6 time in 1 year.

This is part of the reason why the fine increase.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for the pointers. The ICA have told me I can "appeal" the cost and say that the instructions on how or who to appeal to are on their website but of course they are not or I cannot find them!

As for my IC, I now know why a lot of people just carry a laminated photocopy and leave the original at home now. Secondly I've never had to show my IC to a cop or anything like that in the 20 odds years I've been a PR so frankly I consider carrying it slightly un necessary.

My Sing D/L was replaced no questions asked for $25!

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 12:54 am

Not that it helps the OP, I routinely remove all non-essential documents from my wallet when traveling for just this reason. My Singapore-only cards are useless when outside of the country. Just leave them at home. Less to replace when your purse/wallet is ultimately stolen or lost.

Served me well on one occasion.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 2:03 am

scarbowl wrote:Not that it helps the OP, I routinely remove all non-essential documents from my wallet when traveling for just this reason. My Singapore-only cards are useless when outside of the country. Just leave them at home. Less to replace when your purse/wallet is ultimately stolen or lost.

Served me well on one occasion.
Me too. In fact I take it a step further. I have my main wallet, and a small one the size of a credit card. I will tailor what I take with me and it's contents according to what I expect to be doing that day/evening.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 9:12 am

scarbowl wrote:My Singapore-only cards are useless when outside of the country. Just leave them at home. Less to replace when your purse/wallet is ultimately stolen or lost.
Very recently, I've actually been asked for my IC while checking in for a flight back to Singapore. On principle I demanded (aren't Americans PITAs?) to know why. Airline check-in counter told me their official policy was they needed to see proof of permanent residency or an onward ticket. Fair enough, so I gave her my EP. This was a return flight from Haneda on CX, so not sure if she was a HAN or CX employee.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 9:20 am

When I went back in January for Dad's funeral, I was asked the same thing as well at the Continental Counter as well. Either proof of residency or return ticket. So be it. Fair enough I say.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 9:29 am

JR8 wrote:Me too. In fact I take it a step further. I have my main wallet, and a small one the size of a credit card. I will tailor what I take with me and it's contents according to what I expect to be doing that day/evening.
Ditto...

I have a box at home that contains country-specific items in their respective packs. Going to country A? Put country A items in wallet. Country B? Take country B items. Then I have another wallet for my Singapore-only items which I put in a safe place in country A AND not take with me as I go around country A.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."