Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
CuriousCat

Post by CuriousCat » Thu, 12 May 2005 12:27 am

Autumn wrote:
CuriousCat wrote:
Anonymous wrote: Hi CuriousCat,

Oops i think that was 7yrs ago! I suppose currently the bond now is 22mths (18 mths flying, 4mths training) correct? The bond amt now is also much higher than last time; same goes for the salary scale. Previously, all 'O', diploma n degree holders have the same basic salary....very low!

Yup was once a cabin crew.... :)

So u are with SQ now?
Hi Autumn

Ohh yikes!! Why did they changed the bond period!! If only its still 16mths inclusive of training now!! Damn it!!

Nope I am not with SQ now because I did not take up the job offer in the end. But I am re-considering the option now.

So when did you stop flying? Btw, do you know how much a trainee would have to pay if they decide to break the bond before they graduate from training school? I heard after SNY, if you decide to quit, the penalty is not the full sum of S$13k.

Many thanks!
Hi CuriousCat,

Aiyo.... Why din u take up the offer before that? And why u are re-considering?

Well...i left SQ after abt 2yrs of flying...Feel that its not a permanent career (at least for me). How old can a female continue flying rite? Unless one plans to be single or doesn't want to start a family. It's an experience one gains in life....

Well...whether u resign during training or SNY, u'll still have to pay the full bond amt. Btw SNY is part of the 4-month training. They may consider waiving IF it's due to medical reasons (air-sick, backache etc etc). But have to produce medical documents..

Wow the bond amt is so much now! In my times, it was $7.7K...but then the basic pay was very low too....

If u need any more info, u can leave me ur email add ya.... :)
Hi Autumn

HaHa.. I guess inflation applies to bond penalties as well.

Anyway, there were a few reasons which contributed to my decision of not taking up the offer in the end. Firstly, its the career prospects. I have a Hons Degree so there's kindda an opportunity cost in choosing to fly, you know what I mean? Secondly, I am scared that it might effect my relationship. Thirdly, the bond frightens me. I mean, what if I really cannot take it? I still gotta do it till the bond has lapsed. Then whats the point if I have to drag myself to work when right from the start, I wanna fly bcos I want to enjoy on the job?

Well, at the same time, I am reconsidering bcos I feel that it is smthing that one would never get to do when they are old. I mean I am young only this once!! Its now or never kindda thing. So this creates a dilemma for me.

So what did you do after you quit from SIA?

Anyway, you can drop me an email at [email protected] Think I need some good solid advice!

Many thanks!

Suzycreamcheeze

Post by Suzycreamcheeze » Thu, 12 May 2005 1:38 am

yeah, perhaps ure rite... ill never know what might happen.. ill see how it goes... thanks a lot anyway... u guys been a real help.
will keep trying though!
lol
OH yeah Ive registered on here so im now suzycreamcheeze.. i was SuZy b4..

SamanthaGoh

I got in but....

Post by SamanthaGoh » Thu, 12 May 2005 6:41 pm

Hey guys,

I have been shhortlisted for the 23 April interview.... and I just cleared my medical check-up.

I am in! Happy & Excited. But i start to ponder if I should take up the contract with SIA as their Stewardess.

Can any one advice pls......... I am vex!!

Re: I got in but....

Post by Guest » Thu, 12 May 2005 7:03 pm

SamanthaGoh wrote:Hey guys,

I have been shhortlisted for the 23 April interview.... and I just cleared my medical check-up.

I am in! Happy & Excited. But i start to ponder if I should take up the contract with SIA as their Stewardess.

hey congrats!!! can i ask you what is the diff between the upper management interview and the tea party? 2 separate issues or wat? what are the chances of being eliminated in the upper management interview round?

Post by Guest » Thu, 12 May 2005 7:25 pm

how many of the girls did the mgmt eliminate after the upp mgmt interview?

becky

Worried

Post by becky » Thu, 12 May 2005 10:08 pm

I was wondering how the swimming test will be like. Do you really have to walk in your swinsuit? I'm worried as someone said you shouldn't have stretchmarks etc.........well, when I was in primary school, I was chubby and as I grow older, high school, I used to play lots of netball, basketball etc and I slimmed down alot. I'm slim now but I do have strechmarks on my tighs. will they judge you on that?

GELLY

Post by GELLY » Thu, 12 May 2005 10:10 pm

Hi samantha...by the way,How old are you? I f you are still fairly young, I will suggest you go for it...Many girls, like me will like to be in your shoe...It's really an experience for a lifetime...However, since there is a bond, I can understand why you need to seriously consider...Talk to as many people as you can...follow your heart...All the best to you...

Cheerio :wink:

Re: Worried

Post by Guest » Thu, 12 May 2005 10:11 pm

becky wrote:I was wondering how the swimming test will be like. Do you really have to walk in your swinsuit? I'm worried as someone said you shouldn't have stretchmarks etc.........well, when I was in primary school, I was chubby and as I grow older, high school, I used to play lots of netball, basketball etc and I slimmed down alot. I'm slim now but I do have strechmarks on my tighs. will they judge you on that?
don't worry, no catwalk in swimsuit at all. only catwalk in kebaya.

Post by Guest » Thu, 12 May 2005 10:12 pm

becky wrote:I was wondering how the swimming test will be like. Do you really have to walk in your swinsuit? I'm worried as someone said you shouldn't have stretchmarks etc.........well, when I was in primary school, I was chubby and as I grow older, high school, I used to play lots of netball, basketball etc and I slimmed down alot. I'm slim now but I do have strechmarks on my tighs. will they judge you on that?
the swimming test is just jumping from a mock plane and swim to the end of the pool. that's all.

becky

Post by becky » Thu, 12 May 2005 10:21 pm

Anonymous wrote:
the swimming test is just jumping from a mock plane and swim to the end of the pool. that's all.
thanks alot.........am confident now. Applying for SIA ASAP :)

Rebeccy

SIA interview

Post by Rebeccy » Thu, 12 May 2005 11:21 pm

Hi,
After the medical check-up, the doctor on the spot will tell you that you are fit for flying ? Or you gotta wait for a couple of weeks ? How is the medical check-up like?

Post by Guest » Fri, 13 May 2005 1:00 am

pls go... if u don't... go out boost of it of passing off but turn down the contact sure kena whack by tons of girls who denied of the chance...

SamanthaGoh

Post by SamanthaGoh » Fri, 13 May 2005 9:31 am

Anonymous wrote:

hey congrats!!! can i ask you what is the diff between the upper management interview and the tea party? 2 separate issues or wat? what are the chances of being eliminated in the upper management interview round?
HiHi!

The upper Management Interview is when 3 interviewers will be asking you questions.... and having a talk with them........ and if u pass it....u will proceed to the tea party, which is like sort of a last round..........In the tea party, just relax & talk that's all... most probably will get in, unless you dont talk at all and show your anti-sociable side....

Hope the above help! :)

SamanthaGoh

Re: SIA interview

Post by SamanthaGoh » Fri, 13 May 2005 9:33 am

Rebeccy wrote:Hi,
After the medical check-up, the doctor on the spot will tell you that you are fit for flying ? Or you gotta wait for a couple of weeks ? How is the medical check-up like?
Hi Reb...

No, it's not immediate.... you will have to wait for about a week for your medical results... then SIA will inform you if you are in or out...

SamanthaGoh

Post by SamanthaGoh » Fri, 13 May 2005 9:35 am

GELLY wrote:Hi samantha...by the way,How old are you? I f you are still fairly young, I will suggest you go for it...Many girls, like me will like to be in your shoe...It's really an experience for a lifetime...However, since there is a bond, I can understand why you need to seriously consider...Talk to as many people as you can...follow your heart...All the best to you...

Cheerio :wink:
Gelly Thanks for your support!

I am coming 22 in October this year... Doing my final year paper in NUS now...

I'm afraid my family might object...haiz.......