Singapore Expats

Employment Pass / Change of Employer

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Duamutef_MC

Employment Pass / Change of Employer

Post by Duamutef_MC » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 1:39 pm

Hi there!

I'm back for another question; I hope you can be as awesome as last time!

I've received an interesting job offer, and they told me they are going to apply for a new Employment Pass (in substitution of the one I have right now).

My problem is: I have a 3-months notice. Is it possible to apply now for the new Employment Pass but specifying clearly on the paperwork that the new employment pass will come into effect three months from now, allowing me to finish my notice time?

I mean: is it possible to have a seamless transition from a job to the other? The alternative, which is paying a maximum of three salaries, is highly unfavourable.

Please make me know how the thing works; I've been browsing through various websites, and on this forum as well, and could not find the answer. Of course, thank you in advance! :D

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Employment Pass / Change of Employer

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 1:51 pm

Duamutef_MC wrote:Hi there!

I'm back for another question; I hope you can be as awesome as last time!

I've received an interesting job offer, and they told me they are going to apply for a new Employment Pass (in substitution of the one I have right now).

My problem is: I have a 3-months notice. Is it possible to apply now for the new Employment Pass but specifying clearly on the paperwork that the new employment pass will come into effect three months from now, allowing me to finish my notice time?

I mean: is it possible to have a seamless transition from a job to the other? The alternative, which is paying a maximum of three salaries, is highly unfavourable.

Please make me know how the thing works; I've been browsing through various websites, and on this forum as well, and could not find the answer. Of course, thank you in advance! :D
Your new employer can apply for an Employment Pass for you, and if approved the IPA will be valid for 6 months within which you should take it. But the question is, is your new employer ok to wait for 3 months for you to join the new company? Did you tell them that your notice period in your current company is 3 months? The Application for the new employment pass does not ask for your notice period with your current company.

Duamutef_MC

Post by Duamutef_MC » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 4:11 pm

I've informed them. They showed interest at first, calling my resume' "amazing". I've informed them about my notice by mail. Hope they can still maintain their interest, now.

The bottom line is: can do a seamless transition? :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 5:00 pm

Does you current contract have a valid non-compete clause in it? Where it might affect your ability to join your new employer? Otherwise, there is no reason why it cannot be "seamless" whatever that is supposed to mean.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Duamutef_MC

Post by Duamutef_MC » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 5:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Does you current contract have a valid non-compete clause in it? Where it might affect your ability to join your new employer? Otherwise, there is no reason why it cannot be "seamless" whatever that is supposed to mean.
No non-competition clauses, but only a 3-months notice.

Tell me if I got it right:

1) I tell the 'new' company to apply for an EP.
2) Wait for the In-Principle Approval Letter, which has a window of 6 months (which is enough to comply with my notice).
3) With the consent of the 'new' company I do my 3-months notice at the 'old' company.
4) I move to work at the 'new' company.

:shock:

Looks kind of confusing, but it should not be. If the system allows for such a transition, it's really seamless, and it will not involve any risk.

Just a question: does the In-principle Approval Letter bound the new company to employ me? You know, just to avoid unpleasant surpises! 8-)

Thank you in advance for your answer! :)

PS: With "seamless" I meant a smooth process! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 6:04 pm

The process is smooth. Theoretically once the employment contract is signed (usually pending approval of the employment pass) you and the employer are bound. A lot will try to make it only upon issuance of the EP (which is not the same as receiving the IPA. So you might want to satisfy yourself on that matter with the new employer. (Delicate I know).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:10 pm

If for eg, one company has submitted renewal documents for an ordinary employment pass and I am subsequently keen to work full time in another company, can the other company also put in an employment pass application at the same time? or do i need to cancel the current in progress application?

Is it easier to get one EP approved, and then immediately apply for another with the new company ? if my pass is expiring eg this month?

Many thanks!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:54 pm

macaroonie wrote:If for eg, one company has submitted renewal documents for an ordinary employment pass and I am subsequently keen to work full time in another company, can the other company also put in an employment pass application at the same time? or do i need to cancel the current in progress application?

You would have to cancel the renewal application currently in progress as there cannot be two applications in the system simultaneously as it will cause a major spanner in the works and may literally take several months to get sorted.

Is it easier to get one EP approved, and then immediately apply for another with the new company ? if my pass is expiring eg this month?

That's what I would recommend. Get the renewal sorted and done and then apply with the new company.

Many thanks!

Anthony249

Post by Anthony249 » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 2:19 am

When you apply for an EP with another company, your current employer can track it, is this correct?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 6:49 am

Anthony249 wrote:When you apply for an EP with another company, your current employer can track it, is this correct?
Yep. At least they can know that you have applied to another company and whether or not it's pending or approved. They will not know, however, who the company is. It's how we track ours. About once a month I have my HR exec imput all our foreigners into the system to see who is looking. This is especially true at the moment as next month is mid-year increments........

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 7:13 am

Thank you SMS, appreciate your advice always!