Singapore Expats

Robbery in HDB Flat.

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
clover2012

Robbery in HDB Flat.

Post by clover2012 » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:55 am

Dear Friends,

We are married couple working and staying Singapore from past 2 1/2 years. We are staying in a 2+1 HDB flat at Yishun.

Myself and my wife went on vacation to Malaysia from 21-June-2012 to 24-June-2012. When we returned from Vacaction on 24-June-2012 at 7:00PM. We are found out that our Laptop and Jewelry kept in the bedroom drawer were lost.

Interestingly all other items like two LED TVs, 3 Ext HDD, Expensive Headphones, etc were intact. There were no suspicious activities like scrambling of items. When observed the sliding window doors in the bedroom were not locked and was good enough for person to come over to the house.

Total worth of the lost items maybe around 2500-3000 SGD.

Also we are planning to permanently move back to my country in next two months . Please advice me how to proceed with this incident?

1) Shall i proceed and lodge complaint to Police?
2) If lodge complaint, what would be complications if i leave Singapore in next two months?
3) Any other suggestions/advice?

Thanks very much for reading my post and providing me the suggestions.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:13 am

I personally think you should lodge a police report. And are your stolen items insured? Then use the police report to claim insurance for the stolen items.

Since you both are moving back in two months, if you do both very swiftly without delay, you should get both sorted out (investigations, police reports, cheque for the claims, cash the cheque) within one month.

Don't forget to take photos and try not to disturb the crime scene. Especially if you suspect the windows.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:56 am

What floor do you live on that you suspect the thieves were able to come in the window? Does your window have direct line of site to any other units where someone could have observed your laptop and that you were out of town?

I'd report to the police no matter what.