Singapore Expats

PR Application Advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
BetaRotman

PR Application Advice

Post by BetaRotman » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 2:30 pm

Hello,

Below is my profile. Please provide your level of confidence regarding success in getting PR.

EP2
Salary ~4.6k
MS in Electrical Engg from US
~3 years of total experience
~1 year since marriage
Indian National

I want to apply to help my wife get a job. So far, she has been rejected based on her status as DP.

Any advise much appreciated.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 2:34 pm

1. We don't know how long you've been in Singapore working on that salary.
2. The gahmen is limiting the number of Indian PRs right now. Sorry, man. That's just the way things are here right now.
3. Maybe your wife's potential employers just don't know they can hire someone on DP. Search for intellectualmuse's post about how she did so.
Last edited by nakatago on Fri, 22 Jun 2012 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 2:39 pm

nakatago wrote:3. Maybe your potential wife's employers just don't know they can hire someone on DP. Search for intellectualmuse's post about how she did so.
I think you're referring to "your wife's potential employers"... :mrgreen:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: PR Application Advice

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 3:00 pm

BetaRotman wrote: Please provide your level of confidence regarding success in getting PR.
100% for the right people.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 3:25 pm

the lynx wrote:
nakatago wrote:3. Maybe your potential wife's employers just don't know they can hire someone on DP. Search for intellectualmuse's post about how she did so.
I think you're referring to "your wife's potential employers"... :mrgreen:
must've been a slip of the mouse where you--albeit accidentally--highlight a word and dragging it moves the word.

BetaRotman

Post by BetaRotman » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:29 am

Haha... I appreciate the humor!

I have been in SG and working since Oct 2011.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:07 am

BetaRotman wrote:Haha... I appreciate the humor!

I have been in SG and working since Oct 2011.
Oct 2011?!?

Not enough, my friend, just not enough. To be very very safe and very very sure, wait until you have paid income tax for 3 years.

As for wife's job, maybe the potential employers really don't know about LOC. Use the search function up there for intellectualmuse's posts on her path from DP to LOC.

BetaRotman

Post by BetaRotman » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies.

Many employers seem to know about LOC, just not willing to go that route for some weird reason. My wife has landed ~6 jobs so far with no luck in getting SP in spite of having studied in Singapore (Not NUS/NTU/SMU though).

I got an appointment only late Sep '12, by which time I will have 1 year work-ex in Singapore on EP2. I am not sure if I will lose much by just applying anyways, although ~99% of this forum would disagree.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:34 pm

BetaRotman wrote: I got an appointment only late Sep '12, by which time I will have 1 year work-ex in Singapore on EP2. I am not sure if I will lose much by just applying anyways, although ~99% of this forum would disagree.
That's because they track if you applied or not. Approval is also subjective so if it looks like you're too eager, that will count against you.

But you already applied which makes anything we say is moot and I think you only asked to affirm what you believe.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:38 pm

BetaRotman wrote:Thanks for the prompt replies.

Many employers seem to know about LOC, just not willing to go that route for some weird reason. My wife has landed ~6 jobs so far with no luck in getting SP in spite of having studied in Singapore (Not NUS/NTU/SMU though).

I got an appointment only late Sep '12, by which time I will have 1 year work-ex in Singapore on EP2. I am not sure if I will lose much by just applying anyways, although ~99% of this forum would disagree.
1 year in SG and based on the other details that you have given, to be honest your chance would be very very slim.

You will have a decent chance only after 2-3 years of stay in SG.

BetaRotman

Post by BetaRotman » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 3:55 pm

Thanks again for your thoughts and observations. I have gathered that I am applying against the worst odds possible... Somehow I think this is better than trying to swim against the tide of trying to live on one person's salary. I will re-post after I get the results (~Jan '13?)

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 4:55 pm

BetaRotman wrote:Thanks again for your thoughts and observations. I have gathered that I am applying against the worst odds possible... Somehow I think this is better than trying to swim against the tide of trying to live on one person's salary. I will re-post after I get the results (~Jan '13?)
Just to ask, if you have already made up your mind, need not have asked here.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 1:52 am

singaporeflyer wrote:
BetaRotman wrote:Thanks again for your thoughts and observations. I have gathered that I am applying against the worst odds possible... Somehow I think this is better than trying to swim against the tide of trying to live on one person's salary. I will re-post after I get the results (~Jan '13?)
Just to ask, if you have already made up your mind, need not have asked here.
SF, human have the tendency of wanting to hear what they want to hear not the truth, nothing but the truth. If there is a shred of hope to cling on, they will hang on to it
Knowing what they already know, they will still pose the question just to comfort their heart
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

BetaRotman

Post by BetaRotman » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:26 am

Thanks again for the insight.

Before I posted this question on this forum, I heard almost the same thing from friends who have been in SG for at least 10 years. Again, all of this was word-of-mouth. I stumbled upon this forum, and it seems to me that you are all the only authority on this topic I know of.

I had made up my mind, while looking for a tiny shred of hope from some quarter. I believe I can make a difference somewhere down the line if allowed to stay on and live comfortably. This can happen only if my wife gets to work. She is getting those chances, only to be denied permission. I am not sure what the reason is, but I know what the solution might be.

BetaRotman

Post by BetaRotman » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:31 pm

The reject came through on 14 Dec, along with a bunch others being rejected too.

1. Indian couple, both EP1 >200k Household, Child-Bearing age for Woman who is primary applicant.
2. Indian couple, both EP2 > 120k household, Child-Bearing age for Woman
3. Single Indian Male, EP1 ~100k

FYI, It's extremely difficult to find local talent for the work profiles listed.