Singapore Expats

Allegations of "molestation" - what does that really mean?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Allegations of "molestation" - what does that real

Post by poodlek » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 5:31 pm

So I have this friend who is a well-known TCM/chiropractic practitioner. He has some radical methods and high fees, and so is bound to attract some criticism, but I didn't meet him through his work and wasn't terribly interested in passing judgment on his work. He lives in Taipei, and I am planning a trip there soon, so I decided to look him up on FB only to find that the first hit on his name is a public group proclaiming his arrest on charges of molestation in KL, 11,000 members strong.

Now I'm not sure what to think...I couldn't find any unbiased news reports on this supposed arrest, only the same rumors/allegations recycled through various blogs, and I'm not sure with the legal jargon here how to sort it out. What do they mean by "charged with molestation" - is it the same as sex assault? It's separate from rape I guess, but still is giving me pause. I would hate to see someone's reputation and livelihood destroyed by false accusations, and I never suspected him to be a pervert, but on the other hand, maybe I should keep my distance. How serious is this, and how can I find a balanced view?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Allegations of "molestation" - what does that

Post by the lynx » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 5:59 pm

poodlek wrote:So I have this friend who is a well-known TCM/chiropractic practitioner. He has some radical methods and high fees, and so is bound to attract some criticism, but I didn't meet him through his work and wasn't terribly interested in passing judgment on his work. He lives in Taipei, and I am planning a trip there soon, so I decided to look him up on FB only to find that the first hit on his name is a public group proclaiming his arrest on charges of molestation in KL, 11,000 members strong.

Now I'm not sure what to think...I couldn't find any unbiased news reports on this supposed arrest, only the same rumors/allegations recycled through various blogs, and I'm not sure with the legal jargon here how to sort it out. What do they mean by "charged with molestation" - is it the same as sex assault? It's separate from rape I guess, but still is giving me pause. I would hate to see someone's reputation and livelihood destroyed by false accusations, and I never suspected him to be a pervert, but on the other hand, maybe I should keep my distance. How serious is this, and how can I find a balanced view?
I'm not sure which part of the phrase "charged with molestation" that you're unsure with but knowing very well how this jargon works in this part of the world, it simply means "outraging modesty". And he is/will not be the first and only person to be dogged by this, TCM practitioners, chiropractors and soothesayers often rely on physical touch in their work and Asians in particular are not fond of physical touch, even of it means for medical purposes.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 7:45 pm

Poodle,

From the various news reports I've digested over the past year, "molestation" here is akin to being fondled in a bar in the US or Canada. Which seems to jive with what Lynx said.

Lynx, In US and Canada, when someone is charged with molestation it's usualy sexual assault that falls just short of rape. Often in the news when it's an adult molesting a child, and very often mentioned lately in cases involving Catholic priests (rightly or not).

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 7:53 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Poodle,

From the various news reports I've digested over the past year, "molestation" here is akin to being fondled in a bar in the US or Canada. Which seems to jive with what Lynx said.

Lynx, In US and Canada, when someone is charged with molestation it's usualy sexual assault that falls just short of rape. Often in the news when it's an adult molesting a child, and very often mentioned lately in cases involving Catholic priests (rightly or not).
That's what I thought...it's not as bad as it would be in N. America, and likely subject to interpretation. Many of the folks voicing their outrage are focussing their anger on his cost vs. the perceived value and efficacy of their treatment. If he were committing sex assaults, I daresay they'd be focussing on that a little more.