Singapore Expats

Comestic and Plastic surgery in Taiwan

Everything about beauty enhancement discussion.
no1209

Post by no1209 » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:57 am

flyawayfriday wrote:on a side note, does anyone know how good dr kao's goretex rhinoplasties are?

i'm seriously leaning towards goretex atm but most of the cases talked about here are rib implants. there seems to be only 1 person who did goretex with him this whole thread so if anyone has any input, i'll be really grateful! :)

also, does anyone else get the feeling that dr kao's emails are very rushed...i sent him a pretty long email in traditional chinese detailing my concerns and attached my photos. from what i read in the forums i was expecting an attentive and detailed reply and possibly even a b&a simulation. but his reply was less than two lines :( i thought he was busy that day but subsequent emails were just as short and rushed. what's more he takes many days to reply 1-2 lines.

i'm really worried that he has taken a special dislike to me or something D: since this is really, really incongruous to how other forummers say his replies are. or is he colder and more brusque in his emails and warmer irl? my mum figures that maybe he is no longer replying his own emails and an assistant is helping out which explains the totally different attitude. but he sent some emails from his iphone so i believe it's really dr kao himself?

argh...i hope someone can give me some advice! :( to those forummers who have emailed him recently, does he sound really rushed too? i would still really like to have my surgery done with him but i'm increasingly considering korea given his the somewhat "heck-care" impression i get from his emails :(((
don't feel that way! he is always rushed. he is like that with everyone, haha. he is just a busy mean!!! he replies to all the emails himself. my friends say he is quite friendly in real life.

btw, when are you going?

flyawayfriday

Post by flyawayfriday » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 3:16 am

clairedoll wrote:Hi on the issue of rib vs goretex, i am his rib revision patient and if i can choose over the original implant again, i would personally go for goretex. I feel that rib is still too hard and feels stiff, although it is autologous.

Another thing, on his responsiveness....yea he is like that. That's just him. I email him from time to time and his answers are short too, so i started to keep my questions short too and just go straight to the point. Its not just you dont worry.
flyawayfriday wrote:on a side note, does anyone know how good dr kao's goretex rhinoplasties are?

i'm seriously leaning towards goretex atm but most of the cases talked about here are rib implants. there seems to be only 1 person who did goretex with him this whole thread so if anyone has any input, i'll be really grateful! :)

also, does anyone else get the feeling that dr kao's emails are very rushed...i sent him a pretty long email in traditional chinese detailing my concerns and attached my photos. from what i read in the forums i was expecting an attentive and detailed reply and possibly even a b&a simulation. but his reply was less than two lines :( i thought he was busy that day but subsequent emails were just as short and rushed. what's more he takes many days to reply 1-2 lines.

i'm really worried that he has taken a special dislike to me or something D: since this is really, really incongruous to how other forummers say his replies are. or is he colder and more brusque in his emails and warmer irl? my mum figures that maybe he is no longer replying his own emails and an assistant is helping out which explains the totally different attitude. but he sent some emails from his iphone so i believe it's really dr kao himself?

argh...i hope someone can give me some advice! :( to those forummers who have emailed him recently, does he sound really rushed too? i would still really like to have my surgery done with him but i'm increasingly considering korea given his the somewhat "heck-care" impression i get from his emails :(((
thanks for the reassurance! :) now i feel a little silly getting so paranoid

i guess every implant has its own pros and cons else there wouldnt be so much indecisiveness...personally im opting for goretex cos i scar quite easily. whatever the case, i hope your revision (if you're going in the end) goes really well and you'll get a nose that you really love!! :)

twig

Post by twig » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 3:17 am

no1209 wrote:
twig wrote:My surgery's booked!

I just want to ask about accommodations. Hope Dr Kao patients could help answer them.

I will be there for 15 days. Basic itinerary so far is:

first 4 days sight see >> operation and rest for 4 days >>resume sightseeing for next 7 days

I can either stay at Kangning apts for the whole trip

or only stay for 4 days (of op and rest) and move to and frohotels.

It's my first time to taiwan. So i'm not sure where is where.

Is Kang ning far way/convient from all the touristy attractions for shopping and food? Or would it be advisable to move hotels?

TIA
dear, when are you going?

edit//: sorry, just saw your previous message. too bad we can't go together! i will be there in 5 days~
I'll be there only in mid July. :(

flyawayfriday

Post by flyawayfriday » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 3:38 am

I just want to ask about accommodations. Hope Dr Kao patients could help answer them.

first 4 days sight see >> operation and rest for 4 days >>resume sightseeing for next 7 days

Is Kang ning far way/convient from all the touristy attractions for shopping and food? Or would it be advisable to move hotels?

TIA
hi,

this is the taipei metro map -

http://sinotour.com/tourguide/taipei/images/mrtmaps.gif

kang ning apt is at huzhou station (brown line). it's a fair distance away from the touristy stuff but not so bad. for example, houshanpi station (blue line) has a famous place where you can get cheap clothes called "wufenpu" and also a pretty famous night market called "raohe night market". taipei 101 is at taipei city hall station (blue line). other attractions such as ximenting and shilin night market are relatively furhter away.

though i recall reading somewhere that it only takes 15 minutes to cab from the centre of taipei to kanning..but not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me

as for whether its advisable to move hotels, id say that really depends. on your constitution (quick to heal?) if not you might have to move before you you're ready or recovered well enough. budget? (if you stay at kangning you might find yourself cabbing alot. also i dont think kangning has free breakfast. i have also found several hotels on agoda which are near the centre of taipei for a cheaper price than kangning etc. etc.

on a side note, does anyone know how to secure the special rates for kangning for being dr kaos patient? i tried to mail them through their contact form but haven't received a reply. do they have an email address?
thanks!

flyawayfriday

Post by flyawayfriday » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 3:47 am

don't feel that way! he is always rushed. he is like that with everyone, haha. he is just a busy mean!!! he replies to all the emails himself. my friends say he is quite friendly in real life.

btw, when are you going?
thanks for your reassurance! cos of all you kind forummers i'm no longer wavering about whether my decision to see dr kao was right haha...

gosh he seems really busy! glad he's actually friendly and nice :D

i haven't fixed my date yet :(...my friend suddenly wanted to come along at the last minute so it's been hard to coordinate everything. but probably mid-end july

oh you'll be there in 5 days! pity we'll miss each other!! but it must be really exciting! i cant wait til my trip too!!!

twig

Post by twig » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:26 pm

flyawayfriday wrote:

TIA
hi,

this is the taipei metro map -

http://sinotour.com/tourguide/taipei/images/mrtmaps.gif

kang ning apt is at huzhou station (brown line). it's a fair distance away from the touristy stuff but not so bad. for example, houshanpi station (blue line) has a famous place where you can get cheap clothes called "wufenpu" and also a pretty famous night market called "raohe night market". taipei 101 is at taipei city hall station (blue line). other attractions such as ximenting and shilin night market are relatively furhter away.

though i recall reading somewhere that it only takes 15 minutes to cab from the centre of taipei to kanning..but not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me

as for whether its advisable to move hotels, id say that really depends. on your constitution (quick to heal?) if not you might have to move before you you're ready or recovered well enough. budget? (if you stay at kangning you might find yourself cabbing alot. also i dont think kangning has free breakfast. i have also found several hotels on agoda which are near the centre of taipei for a cheaper price than kangning etc. etc.

on a side note, does anyone know how to secure the special rates for kangning for being dr kaos patient? i tried to mail them through their contact form but haven't received a reply. do they have an email address?
thanks!
Wow! Thanks a lot. Your information makes it much easier to plan.

I email kangning apts yesterday afternoon (Dr Kao gave me the email) but they also have yet to reply. [email protected] :?

babycakes

Post by babycakes » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 4:42 pm

Hi everyone, I am new in this forum! I'd like to go for breast augmentation in Taiwan and have heard of the fats transfer option.

Has anyone heard of doctor 张炯铭? I heard he's very popular, and I did a google search on him. Apparently he is from artists.com.tw?
Anyone? Help?? :(

Aventurine

Post by Aventurine » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 6:44 pm

Hi babycakes

Do your research well. Because I read somewhere in those western plastic surgery website (where alot of plastic surgeons give their input) on a question posed.

It seems like fats transfer for breast augmentation is not advisable and not done in western countries, despite PS in korea and taiwan etc doing it cos its long term effects not known, whether it can cause cancer etc.

Just my 2 cent worth. Anyway forget the website but u can google it.

pansyed

TAIWAN ALARPLASTY

Post by pansyed » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 1:24 am

:)
Last edited by pansyed on Wed, 28 Nov 2012 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aventurine

Post by Aventurine » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 2:06 pm

Hello Everybody

I still have leftover Taiwan currency of ard Sing $900.

Anyone want to change with me at rate 1SGD=$23TWD

If not, then I keep....

Aventurine

Post by Aventurine » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 2:09 pm

OOps sorry forget to mention that u may contact me at [email protected]

nose

Re: TAIWAN ALARPLASTY

Post by nose » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 9:43 pm

pansyed wrote:has anyone received ONLY alarplasty from him? i only want to go for alarplasty as augementation of cartilege/insert foriegn object in my nose is quite scary. omg i hope he has before/after pics of people who only went for alarplasty from him, coz i heard some people complaining that hes not very adept at alarplasty T_T omg i dont want to end up like michael jackson, does anyone have photos??
im quite worried about the pain of the anaesethetic, does anyone knows how many jabs you get? 1 video in youtube showed like 8 jabs!!
Also, it seems like kangning hospital is super far from any of the airport. can anyone tell me what is the ideal travelling route? like which airport? which bus?....im so worried!! i cant even navigate around in buses in SG, how can i take the bus around in TAIWAN? its so big...and the taxi fares are so expensive T_T
im staying in dandy hotel tianmu branch, i think theres a special offer going on. (not v sure, but i booked at discouted rates) if anyone would like to stay there too, please reply to me!! I'm going with my aunt but it would be nice to have someone to share the pain with lol.
My plan is : 28Nov arrive and find a place to stay near kangning hosp
29Nov Consultation with Dr Kao
30Nov Surgery & Move to dandy hotel
31Nov recover and blah blah

Will be going back at 9Dec...so my stay is from 28nov-9dec...
PS. dandy hotel is near to shihlin night market + its relatively new + there was a discount going on, which was why i chose that area. I think it's pretty good, theres even a hotspring n sogo nearby. However its also superrrrrr far from the airport and super far from kangning... I hope i only have to go back once to remove the stiches since its such a hassle =[
If your going to dr kao, at kangning hosp, which airport are u going to? SongShan or Taoyuan? I think both are like equally super far -.- and the taxi fare there is $50 what the hell!?!
As great as Dr. Kao is for a general nosejob (especially with rib), I hear Dr. Hsu is the "king of alars"

Case in point: Dr. Kao wasn't really confident on working with my alars.

Hsu can sculpt some beautiful alars if you are only going for alarplasty.

Both can do a great job, but Kao is a friendly guy and can do a more "natural looking, subtle, but at the same time a big change" nosejob that won't scream NOSEJOB to people. (if a huge change is what you want, if not he can do very subtle too!)

Case in point: me.

no1209

Post by no1209 » Mon, 02 Jul 2012 4:09 pm

hi girls & guys!

had my rhino with dr. kao last week. took off my cast today... I LIKE IT so much already!!!! it's close to what i imagined :) :) i feel like my face is more harmonized. i just hope that my swelling on my face goes down more and more so that i could look completely normal again... i still look strange right now, due to swelling.

this forum has helped me a lot on my research to do this. so i want to add info to this community.

tips and advice i have for you:
(don't have to listen/agree with me... just my personal opinion from this experience... i am not an expert :oops: )

on post-op care:
* get the wu gong grass herb from Kao. (8 small bottles for $950NTD delivered to your door) Drink two bottles per day, morning & night. i think it made me deswell faster.
* bring your own ice gel pack! get the ones that are rectangular shape, with a strap attached. you know, the long ones that are meant for your forehead when you have a fever? the hospital's icepacks slip off your face easily and is an odd square shape. starting on the second or third day, your swelling will become really severe. the swelling of your rhino from forehead & cheeks will follow gravity and move down to your jawline and lower cheeks. you will look like a friggin blowfish. or you will look like you gained so much weight. (i was so embarrassed that i didn't leave my room for like four days)... i used the straped icepack i brought and wrapped it around my head over night every night, with the ice pack part on my jaw line. i think i deswelled much faster because i did this.
* do the light therapy at tri-service hospital laser center. it's 20 min long, only $200 NTD. it helps get rid of bruises.
* for eye jobs: buy a pack of teabags. brew tea. take out the teabags and throw them in the freezer. drink the tea. after a while, take out the teabags and put them on your eyes to help deswell. you could also throw metal spoons in the freezer and cup them on your eye.

on pre-op prep/research:
* my opinion: bargaining is not a good idea esp when it comes to these things. it's your face cut up on an operation table. i think that kao's prices are VERY reasonable for his craftsmanship i think we should be fair to him. it's not a night market situation where we should bargin...... it's a permanent structure in the middle of our face. i feel that surgeons will loose interest to do a decent job if price is bidden down. i don't know. if finance is an issue for you, be honest to him and let him know your budget. i think he will understand... if you look up the prices for the same ops in korea... it is a mismatch form his quoted prices.
* know exactly what you want. research.... understand your face. take photos of yourself of diff angles and liquidfy your nose on photoshop and see what it turns into. don't just browse random celebrity's nose/eyes and say you want this, you want that. it might not suit you. crop their features out and paste it on your face and see what it looks like. does it harmonize?? what kinds of procedures would that result require? is this realistic?? study things like the golden ratio, parts of a nose, types of implants. watch videos on youtube of the operation so you know what you will go through (be ready, it gets very graphical)
* i THINK Dr. Kao is fond of natural change... faces that harmonize or fit a ratio in his head. he will not give you a very tall/small nose that doesn't suit you. he will not give you eyes that are too big for your face. if you are looking for drastic change, or change that makes you almost un-recognizable, maybe you should look clinics in korea. i think you will be happier with the results.
* don't be afraid of Kao's personality. he is very rushed in his emails because he is a busy guy. but in real life, he is very friendly... almost comical, in my opinion.
* i thought he would speak better english... but i was wrong. LOL!!! but we were still able to communicate very well. his listening > speaking. like others have said before... tell him EXACTLY what you want.. use pictures, draw... etc... be straight to the point.
* take off your nail polish. clean out your ear. take off all jewelry on day of op...
* i don't know if i got lucky or what, but unlike many forumers have said, i actually did receive post-op care from him. i saw him every single day after the op. they were really quick visits, but i think they still count.
* if you don't speak chinese, i think you will have trouble going through this. find a friend who does, or do a lot of homework before you go through this. you should familiarize yourself with the area through google maps street view, and do other homework. this is all because the staff everywhere barely speak any english. you have to fill out forms, go through steps in order to get to your consultation... and everything was quite messy and traditional paper-style.

list of things i brought to my trip. yours might be diff. don't really have to follow mine. make your own!
bring these with you on day of op!:
* arnica med
* bromaline
* arnica cream
* gel ice pack with strap
* tynenol extra strength pain reliever (or... your own choice, coz his pain killers might not work for you)
* supplements like vit c & zinc (optional)
* dry shampoo / baby powder, for hair
* honey cough drops <- helps dry throat from surgery
* hot pack (optional)
* q-tips
* hairtie
* straws
* mouthwash
* face wipes
* NTD$$ get coins. you need it for bus

if you are staying in KN Service Apartment:
* detergent
* frying pan/pot thing to cook
* a bowl, and utensils like chopsticks and spoons
* dish soap??
* cooking oil
* a router!!!! (if you are that desperate for wireless internet) LOL!! there is no wifi in the rooms. there is only an ethernet cable that plugs into your computer. there is only wifi in the lobby. but you don't wana go down there with your face all bruised up
* oh, the 7-11 downstairs has a great variety of things... it has many things that you need for post-op care ranging from face masks to paper panties to snacks like onigiri, fishballs... etc.
* you might want to bring your own pillow for comfort. i didn't like their pillows. they were very hard. but i was able to sleep more elevated haha

i talk too much.............
while my mind is still fresh, ASK YOUR QUESTIONS!!!! ^__^
i want to be of help!
but don't ask me for pics plz, i am shy
Last edited by no1209 on Tue, 03 Jul 2012 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

multitess

Post by multitess » Tue, 03 Jul 2012 7:43 am

thanks for the very detailed advice no1209! I hope you're recovering speedily! I'm looking to get my nose fix too, may i ask if the surgery was painful? Did you do alarplasty and tip with ear cartilage?
Please keep us update on your recovering process. Hope you're having a good time in taiwan :)

no1209

Post by no1209 » Tue, 03 Jul 2012 3:54 pm

multitess wrote:thanks for the very detailed advice no1209! I hope you're recovering speedily! I'm looking to get my nose fix too, may i ask if the surgery was painful? Did you do alarplasty and tip with ear cartilage?
Please keep us update on your recovering process. Hope you're having a good time in taiwan :)
hey hey :)

on alars:
i went in there wanting to do alar. the whole reason why i wanted to have a nosejob in the first place was because i hated my alars. but like people have already said, kao doesn't like the idea of alarplasty! :O
when i went in there and sat down, he glanced at me and said "so......... what's wrong with your nose?" i squeezed it and i said "i don't like it. it's fat. i don't like my wide alars." he took two q-tips, stuck it in my nostrils and lifted it up a little bit away from my face. he said, when i get my gortex rhino/tipplasty done, my nose will be more elevated, which will make my alars appear smaller. he said that my alars are not too wide for my face. he explained that alarplasty might cause scarring. so i agreed with him and did not do it. i have heard that dr. ryan hsu is better at alars. but i have no personal testimony~~

on pain:
surgery being painful? i would rate it 3/10. i'd say i have a decent tolerance of pain. i had LA. i feel that they inject it sparingly. they will inject a little more every time i say "it hurts". the injections don't really hurt if you're used to going to the dentist often.
in the beginning when they give you the IV drip, you're going to get high. you'll start laughing at absolutely nothing........ and you can't stop... it's really weird...... and it makes time pass very fast. enjoy it
the real pain is in the recovery part!!! and stitch removal :(