Singapore Expats

What kind of animal we have?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

What kind of animal we have?

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 8:40 am

Occasionally, something makes in our flat a sound like hitting a hard ball against hard surface (it's rather laud). Not sure if geckos are capable? It sounds very different to what they normally produce. Cockroaches?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 8:43 am

You mean like a golf ball hitting a hard surface?

Sorry, just trying to relate to the sound you're describing...

nakatago

Re: What kind of animal we have?

Post by nakatago » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 9:03 am

x9200 wrote:Cockroaches?
Oh good lord. It better not be them.

Heavy-footed foreigners? :lol:

Squirrels?

Rats?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 9:31 am

the lynx wrote:You mean like a golf ball hitting a hard surface?

Imagine you have window blinds that you open up or close with a cord, and the cord have a plastic ball at its end. When wind blows the ball hits the window making roughly this kind of sound :)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:00 am

x9200 wrote:
the lynx wrote:You mean like a golf ball hitting a hard surface?

Imagine you have window blinds that you open up or close with a cord, and the cord have a plastic ball at its end. When wind blows the ball hits the window making roughly this kind of sound :)
Trust me, cockroaches DO NOT make that sound. At most it would be hissing. But if it is really the cockroaches, book me over! This will be an awesome science moment for me!

OK so I get an idea of how the sound is like. Does the sound come singly or in quick rapping series? If it is the latter, I have a bad feeling it may be termites; a very bad termite infestation...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:04 am

Poltergeist? :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:07 am

Rather singly, sometimes in two. It happened maybe 3 times over past 6 months.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:15 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Poltergeist? :cool:
Unfortunately not. In our previous place the building had a history of the murder and the rental was like 20% lower comparing to the others in that area. Here, nothing like this.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:19 am

Are you sure that it is not some faulty electrical appliances or loosely hanging fixtures or furniture?

As far as animals are suspected, I would go back to geckos then. They do make that loud crackling sound. Sometimes in twos or threes.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:42 am

Pretty sure. It goes from different places within the room. We have geckos of a size of small monitor lizards so maybe they play some golf.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:26 am

Well you know what people say when you have gecko problems in your house :wink: :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:36 am

You would know it if it were one of these little terrors. Their name is their noisy call. TOK-Kayyyy. The are only around 6 to 7 " long but their call can be heard from about half a klick away! I had one in my bedroom in the Viet Refugee Camp on P. Galang and it decided to announce itself around 3 am in the morning. Scared the crap outta me!

http://www.markoshea.info/images/timor% ... _gecko.jpg
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:50 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You would know it if it were one of these little terrors. Their name is their noisy call. TOK-Kayyyy. The are only around 6 to 7 " long but their call can be heard from about half a klick away! I had one in my bedroom in the Viet Refugee Camp on P. Galang and it decided to announce itself around 3 am in the morning. Scared the crap outta me!

http://www.markoshea.info/images/timor% ... _gecko.jpg
Holy crap! I sure hope not it is one of those.

But there are many species of geckos and some of them are common in households (unless you live close to jungles).

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 1:13 pm

They are found here in Singapore as well, but not so often. You do see a lot of them looking like this though......

http://www.tokaygeckos.org/tokay-gecko-for-medicines

Apparently they are also used in TCM
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Tue, 19 Jun 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 19 Jun 2012 1:15 pm

the lynx wrote:Well you know what people say when you have gecko problems in your house :wink: :lol:
When would I have a gecko problem and what people would say than? :oops: