Singapore Expats

Things I won't miss about Asia

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Things I won't miss about Asia

Post by poodlek » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 5:23 pm

1. Tiger Airways. My most recent flight with them was just crappy all around. There were several annoyances, but the lowest was when I arrived at my seat (which was fake leather, for some reason) and discovered it and the two neighboring seats covered in what looked like dried melted ice cream and cracker crumbs. There was also garbage strewn about. I did not want to put my butt down in that, but I was also carrying my son, whom I didn't want to get into the garbage, etc. I asked for help from the flight attendant who brought me a stack of paper towels for me to clean myself :mad: Talk about customer service! So I did it, and collected all the trash and stuffed it into a barf bag and tried to hand it off to an attendant but they wouldn't pay attention to me so I just stuck it in the aisle. They spent the next hour kicking it around the aisle every time they passed, until they came to collect the trash after the meal, at which point I dumped it into his tray to his apparent surprise. (he looked as if he was thinking "where in the world did that come from??"). Good lord. I appreciate the low fares, but...!

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 8:08 pm

its a budget carrier, what do you expect?

either you take the cheapskate fares and put up with their rubbish, or you pay the price premium and take a proper airline.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 8:21 pm

sensei_ wrote:its a budget carrier, what do you expect?

either you take the cheapskate fares and put up with their rubbish, or you pay the price premium and take a proper airline.
I just never expected to have to scrub my own seat and pick up the previous flight's trash... Yes I expect staff ranging in personality from surly to stupid, and to pay $10 for a tiny crappy meal, but this was taking the budgetyness a little far, IMO.

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 9:57 pm

you pay peanuts you get monkeys. in this case, you pay bugger all, and you get next to nothing.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 10:45 pm

sensei_ wrote:you pay peanuts you get monkeys. in this case, you pay bugger all, and you get next to nothing.
No... it is crap customer service... they behave this way because they can get away with it... they do have training... they should know what to do. They could do it. It just means Tiger no longer gives a sh*t... too bad... they were OK at one time.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:24 pm

I think you only have to look at the budget airline recruitment threads on this forum to realise what you're dealing with: generally, people with very little common sense*.

That said I flew with Tiger a few weeks back to Cebu and it was fine...

* Not quite the right term. It is more than that, far greater but less clear-cut. It is not rank stupidity as the people are probably educated. Or could it be?

Take this question from a poster this week on the SIA thread (and note as SIA these people are aiming for the very top of the industry).
-----------
'anyone knows this time whether they recruit male PR holder candidate?
Website only state that suitable FEMALE are welcomed....
any advice???'

-----------

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:45 pm

sensei_ wrote:you pay peanuts you get monkeys. in this case, you pay bugger all, and you get next to nothing.
I've flown Tiger before, as well as many other discount carriers. This experience was singular. Ice cream all over the seat, for pete's sake. And not even embarrassed about it or acting like it was out of the ordinary.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 15 Jun 2012 11:48 pm

Agree Poodle. What you experienced was inexcusable, on any airline.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Sat, 16 Jun 2012 9:35 am

JR8 wrote: -----------
'anyone knows this time whether they recruit male PR holder candidate?
Website only state that suitable FEMALE are welcomed....
any advice???'

-----------
Transgender surgery perhaps?

But I am with Poodlek on this one - just because the services are cheap doesn't mean that they have to be nasty too. I suggest a letter to the editor of the birdcage lining talking about Tiger air as a Singapore brand and what it means for Singapore.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:33 am

2. Insane humidity! How it forces your pores to yield your precious water content in your body and ruin your perfume, make up, clothes, hairdo etc...

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 17 Jun 2012 9:07 pm

the lynx wrote:2. Insane humidity! ... hairdo etc...
Hair do! I have been wearing a pony tail for two years. My cute bob couldn't handle the weather lol. Looking forward to chopping it when I get back :-)

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Mon, 18 Jun 2012 11:53 am

3. The obsession with cosmetic surgery. I find it truly upsetting that so many women think they need to be surgically altered before they will become marriage material. I look at the women in the print ads for things like SKII and they don't even look like asians anymore, they look like weird Barbies or something. Why is that considered ideal?

AndyWillie
Regular
Regular

Post by AndyWillie » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 2:40 pm

poodlek wrote:3. The obsession with cosmetic surgery. I find it truly upsetting that so many women think they need to be surgically altered before they will become marriage material. I look at the women in the print ads for things like SKII and they don't even look like asians anymore, they look like weird Barbies or something. Why is that considered ideal?
I guess that is more for korean women. they have a culture of being obsessed with cosmetic surgery.

pjays02

Re: Things I won't miss about Asia

Post by pjays02 » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 2:52 pm

poodlek wrote:1. Tiger Airways. My most recent flight with them was just crappy all around. There were several annoyances, but the lowest was when I arrived at my seat (which was fake leather, for some reason) and discovered it and the two neighboring seats covered in what looked like dried melted ice cream and cracker crumbs. There was also garbage strewn about. I did not want to put my butt down in that, but I was also carrying my son, whom I didn't want to get into the garbage, etc. I asked for help from the flight attendant who brought me a stack of paper towels for me to clean myself :mad: Talk about customer service! So I did it, and collected all the trash and stuffed it into a barf bag and tried to hand it off to an attendant but they wouldn't pay attention to me so I just stuck it in the aisle. They spent the next hour kicking it around the aisle every time they passed, until they came to collect the trash after the meal, at which point I dumped it into his tray to his apparent surprise. (he looked as if he was thinking "where in the world did that come from??"). Good lord. I appreciate the low fares, but...!
yea, it's a budget carrier. i don't think you will get such excellent service. but i prefer to take Jetstar planes. their service is generally better
I once complained that I had no shoes, until I saw a man with no feet.

AndyWillie
Regular
Regular

Re: Things I won't miss about Asia

Post by AndyWillie » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:27 am

pjays02 wrote:
poodlek wrote:1. Tiger Airways. My most recent flight with them was just crappy all around. There were several annoyances, but the lowest was when I arrived at my seat (which was fake leather, for some reason) and discovered it and the two neighboring seats covered in what looked like dried melted ice cream and cracker crumbs. There was also garbage strewn about. I did not want to put my butt down in that, but I was also carrying my son, whom I didn't want to get into the garbage, etc. I asked for help from the flight attendant who brought me a stack of paper towels for me to clean myself :mad: Talk about customer service! So I did it, and collected all the trash and stuffed it into a barf bag and tried to hand it off to an attendant but they wouldn't pay attention to me so I just stuck it in the aisle. They spent the next hour kicking it around the aisle every time they passed, until they came to collect the trash after the meal, at which point I dumped it into his tray to his apparent surprise. (he looked as if he was thinking "where in the world did that come from??"). Good lord. I appreciate the low fares, but...!
yea, it's a budget carrier. i don't think you will get such excellent service. but i prefer to take Jetstar planes. their service is generally better
Same here, i prefer to take Jetstar planes. But honestly, I still prefer to travel with the major airlines. More comfortable