Singapore Expats

Another post by foreigners to rile up locals

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Another post by foreigners to rile up locals

Post by the lynx » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 10:47 pm

http://sg.entertainment.yahoo.com/blogs ... 01931.html

Definitely gonna scorch the locals' ego really badly...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 10:58 pm

(gets popcorn)
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 11:12 pm

Aw come on, that was so two weeks ago.

And completely true.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 11:27 pm

NorrinRadd wrote:Aw come on, that was so two weeks ago.

And completely true.
I know... Still, you get the idea about the situation... :P

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 11:55 pm

Hell, I've been sayin' it for 30 years. In fact, the only "girls" with any dress sense are the trannies. :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 1:52 am

In fairness, clothing here is ridiculously overpriced compared to the same stuff elsewhere.

phyzen

Post by phyzen » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 11:52 am

But he was criticising men in a hotel. Presumably most of the people in the hotel are not Singaporeans? I don't see how forcing people in hotels obey a dress code would change how Singaporeans dress better? It sounds like he's criticising tourists.
I'm probably part of the problem, being in Singapore, wearing the wrong shorts (I assume, I don't know what the right ones are) with flip-flops. It's SO warm, I'm not putting my flip-flops or shorts away until they break.
I can't find any quote that matches the comment under the picture, but perhaps there's a longer interview somewhere else?
Wieeee!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 12:44 pm

If the weather were really the only excuse, would it not be a trend in every place on earth that when the weather hits over 32C fashion goes down the toilet?

The thing about fashion is that it has very little to do with specific garments, it's all how you put it together and accessorize it. Choose items that fit, that are appropriate to the activity and your age/station in life. Pick a look and commit to it. I'm pretty sure it is possible to stay cool and look fashionable at the same time.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 12:45 pm

zzm9980 wrote:In fairness, clothing here is ridiculously overpriced compared to the same stuff elsewhere.
And people pour their budgets into handbags and shoes with ridiculously large brand logos on them...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 2:52 pm

The way I see it, here's this snob who thinks very lowly of people who are not up to his snooty standards. On the other hand, we have this people who get offended by the slightest criticism, even from someone to whom they shouldn't pay attention in the first place.

And then there's us who ready our umbrellas, shields and ponchos knowing that animal waste matter will hit spinning aerofoils.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 3:36 pm

+1 ^^^^
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 4:48 pm

Frankly, the fashion nob in the article sounds like a right tool! I'll wear whatever I feel like ! :)

nutnut
nutnut

phyzen

Post by phyzen » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 5:59 pm

nakatago wrote:The way I see it, here's this snob who thinks very lowly of people who are not up to his snooty standards. On the other hand, we have this people who get offended by the slightest criticism, even from someone to whom they shouldn't pay attention in the first place.

And then there's us who ready our umbrellas, shields and ponchos knowing that animal waste matter will hit spinning aerofoils.
And it's obviously in his interest that people care about clothes, and are familiar with his name, so this could simply be some PR stunt to make people buy his clothes.
"You all dress terribly! On a completely different subject, here's my new collection."
Wieeee!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 6:39 pm

I've always said guys in particular have no dress sense here. Why do they wear their ties so they hand 6 inches below their belt? :???:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 6:48 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've always said guys in particular have no dress sense here. Why do they wear their ties so they hand 6 inches below their belt? :???:
I can't answer that with a family-friendly answer