Singapore Expats

Expats - Don't shop at Hawker Markets

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Expats - Don't shop at Hawker Markets

Post by Travailes » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 3:50 pm

I've finally had my fill of shopping at these local markets. Trying to be helpful
supporting these local traders - they are all on the rob. Just been charged $18 for a large watermelon and 8 oranges. 'Giant' equivalent (+2 more oranges) $7.45. Had my suspicions for a while - now confirmed. No wonder
Cold Storage is full of expats - it actually seems quite reasonable ! From now on I only shop where a price is displayed and I can make an informed decision. Their loss. Rant over........
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 3:59 pm

You actually allowed yourself to pay $18 for a watermelon?

Calmday
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Calmday » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 4:14 pm

Hahaaha why didn't you just walk away with your money?

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 5:57 pm

I like the assumption that Expats, are a collective like-minded group that need coddling and that all hawkers and in all markets are dishonest. :?

And where is the personal responsibility that NorrinRadd alluded to?

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 7:31 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I like the assumption that Expats, are a collective like-minded group that need coddling and that all hawkers and in all markets are dishonest. :?

often easier to blame someone else than to blame themselves for not knowing better.

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 8:04 pm

I do sympathise (kind of) with Travailes - I've had similar happen to me but I did not pay for the items - had a laugh and walked off. Actually OP says they got charged for them but didn't say they paid it - I hope they didn't!

The thing is, with CS, NTUC etc - yes they're more expensive but at least you all get charged the same despite your skin colour, bank balance or maid's employers. I've got friends who've got maids who reckon they were actually asked by market traders who they worked for........presumably if they'd said westerners they would have got charged more. That's the story I heard - haven't a clue if it is true and don't have a maid myself so can't find out.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 8:04 pm

sensei_ wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:I like the assumption that Expats, are a collective like-minded group that need coddling and that all hawkers and in all markets are dishonest. :?

often easier to blame someone else than to blame themselves for not knowing better.
That sounds familiar...where have I heard that before?? :wink:

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 8:25 pm

BigSis wrote:I do sympathise (kind of) with Travailes - I've had similar happen to me but I did not pay for the items - had a laugh and walked off. Actually OP says they got charged for them but didn't say they paid it - I hope they didn't!

The thing is, with CS, NTUC etc - yes they're more expensive but at least you all get charged the same despite your skin colour, bank balance or maid's employers. I've got friends who've got maids who reckon they were actually asked by market traders who they worked for........presumably if they'd said westerners they would have got charged more. That's the story I heard - haven't a clue if it is true and don't have a maid myself so can't find out.
We're in Asia- it's part of the culture here to haggle. If you go to the local places, prepare to bargain like a local or pay the ang moh tax!

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Expats - Don't shop at Hawker Markets

Post by joop » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 8:28 pm

Travailes wrote:I've finally had my fill of shopping at these local markets. Trying to be helpful
supporting these local traders - they are all on the rob. Just been charged $18 for a large watermelon and 8 oranges. 'Giant' equivalent (+2 more oranges) $7.45. Had my suspicions for a while - now confirmed. No wonder
Cold Storage is full of expats - it actually seems quite reasonable ! From now on I only shop where a price is displayed and I can make an informed decision. Their loss. Rant over........
You just have to be careful when you buy from shops that sell fruits by the weight, especially heavyweights like watermelons, papayas or melons. It would be better to buy them from supermarkets as they normally sell a watermelon for $2+ (try NTUC), and they are usually sweet.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 10:05 pm

Goodness gracious! $18 for a watermelon?!

Well I have to agree with poodlek, this is Asia and it is their culture to haggle where there is no price tag.

I sincerely hope you did not pay for it. You may as well pay me and I can even throw a decent bacon on top of that watermelon for you. :)

And oh, personal tip, if you want even cheaper groceries, especially without the expat tag to it like Cold Storage or Carrefour, go to the smaller chain of supermarkets like Sheng Shiong, Shop N Save, Prime Hypermarket etc. They are way cheaper but you may not be able to find on many items which you used to have back home (like cheese and meat).

BigSis
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BigSis » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 10:32 pm

poodlek wrote:
BigSis wrote:I do sympathise (kind of) with Travailes - I've had similar happen to me but I did not pay for the items - had a laugh and walked off. Actually OP says they got charged for them but didn't say they paid it - I hope they didn't!

We're in Asia- it's part of the culture here to haggle. If you go to the local places, prepare to bargain like a local or pay the ang moh tax!
I wonder if it's also the culture to start the bidding at way over the starting price than you do for the locals.

Foreigners get ripped off - that's the sad truth of it I'm afraid.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 10:35 pm

It doesn''t read that way
BigSis wrote:Actually OP says they got charged for them but didn't say they paid it

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 12:51 pm

yah discount 50% off the price then haggle..thats how you do it. lol :P :lol:

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 12:32 am

Oh dear... was the watermelon at least delicious for $18?

Nothing worse than being ripped off, and on top of that to end up with lousy tasting fruit

aster
Manager
Manager

Re: Expats - Don't shop at Hawker Markets

Post by aster » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 2:44 am

Travailes wrote:From now on I only shop where a price is displayed and I can make an informed decision. Their loss. Rant over........
Too bad we can't rent a time machine as I'd love to show you Singapore from back in the day when even all electronics stores (bar one) never had price tags...

ALL shopping was like this. :)

I do agree though when it comes to the rip-off attitude - don't give your patronage to places that charge you more than other locals.