Singapore Expats

SIA cabin crew

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
nires

too old?

Post by nires » Wed, 30 May 2012 6:44 pm

hi i'm turning 31 end of this year, am I too old to try for SIA stewardess position?

tomandjerryonwards

Post by tomandjerryonwards » Wed, 30 May 2012 7:36 pm

derenla wrote:
tomandjerryonwards wrote:
derenla wrote:Hey guys, I tried for the walk in a few months back. Got through all the rounds but didn't make it thru medical check up. The reason was not known but I believe it was due to my spinal problem, scoliosis. I don't know if I should try again. My scoliosis has not been a big problem at all. But I'm not sure if it's definitely a no-no. Feel so discouraged that I cannot live my dream due to the medical.
Hi I am in the same situation as you except that I am currently waiting for the results, which I hope is not a rejection letter. Did your rejection letter state why you were rejected?

If I fail my medical check up I will not be trying again because I can't do much about my situation already. I incurred costs also because of the further check ups!! :shock:

Ya I paid around $200 for the additional check up. They just sent me a letter stating that I was not selected. Nth much was written. Not sure if I could even get back the results from the medical centre. Anyway, I still feel like trying again. Do you have scoliosis as well? I know that they actually look at the degree of curvature. If its not too serious should be ok.
I paid $300 because I had to do breast ultrascan and scolosis check. I heard its fine as long as the curve don't exceed 20 degrees, but I wouldn't know because the nurses/doctors all refused to reply me -_- also they were all filipinos so whatever comments they made during my further checks were in tagalog which I couldn't understand.

I am not looking on the bright side now because after all I had to undergo two further checks and I haven't heard of girls in my situation passing. Oh well, first try already like that. Just disappointed and angry that my medical condition doesn't permit me to be a SIA cabin crew and I can't do anything about it.

derenla

Post by derenla » Wed, 30 May 2012 10:22 pm

derenla wrote:

I paid $300 because I had to do breast ultrascan and scolosis check. I heard its fine as long as the curve don't exceed 20 degrees, but I wouldn't know because the nurses/doctors all refused to reply me -_- also they were all filipinos so whatever comments they made during my further checks were in tagalog which I couldn't understand.

I am not looking on the bright side now because after all I had to undergo two further checks and I haven't heard of girls in my situation passing. Oh well, first try already like that. Just disappointed and angry that my medical condition doesn't permit me to be a SIA cabin crew and I can't do anything about it.

If they havent officially sent you the rejection letter there is still hope. Ya i know what you mean the nurses who took my xray and all were too talking to each other,seemed like they were talking about my xray but I didnt understand. In fact, I received a missed call from SIA a few days after the xray. I tried calling back but to no avail. Shortly after, I received the rejection letter.

Till now I am still very curious about the phone call. My heart almost dropped when I realized I had that missed call from the HR.

But I still feel like trying again. I heard from my friend who is already flying that the medical results may differ from time to time.

tomandjerryonwards

Post by tomandjerryonwards » Thu, 31 May 2012 12:33 pm

derenla wrote:
derenla wrote:

If they havent officially sent you the rejection letter there is still hope. Ya i know what you mean the nurses who took my xray and all were too talking to each other,seemed like they were talking about my xray but I didnt understand. In fact, I received a missed call from SIA a few days after the xray. I tried calling back but to no avail. Shortly after, I received the rejection letter.

Till now I am still very curious about the phone call. My heart almost dropped when I realized I had that missed call from the HR.

But I still feel like trying again. I heard from my friend who is already flying that the medical results may differ from time to time.
Then you should try again! No harm anyway! For me if I were to try again I would need a two months notice period (now I just need two weeks notice), and I think this would greatly affects their decision...

Anyway, when did you receive your letter? 2 weeks after your 2nd check-up?

chatoyant_

5th july 2012

Post by chatoyant_ » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 2:08 am

Hello! Anyone here starting their training on 5th july? Have you received your letter of employment?

tengyteng

Post by tengyteng » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 8:43 pm

I got the call from HR asking for confirmation of my availability today.
However she told me to get a letter from my uni when i officially grad in 2 months (no cert yet). Didnt confirm anything else with me though.

Someone from my groyp has already received confirmation to start flying. So this must mean that the medical results are already out.

This left me wondering if im on KIV, or is it possible that i will be rejected at this point since she called to confirm my availability and stated nothing else?

sstan123
Regular
Regular

Post by sstan123 » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 8:46 pm

shouldiorshouldinot wrote:Hi sstan123, hope you can help me with this. I'm an ex crew and I've tried sq thrice last year and made it to the management round twice. I'm turning 30 this year. Is my age the main factor that I got rejected during management interview? Should I mention that I'm an ex air crew during the first introduction round? Or should I just give up trying for sq as the interviewers would prefer younger crew? Thanks!
If u look younger than 30 u may stand a chance. Mentioning u are an ex crew will disadvantage yourself as the airline prefer " fresh" people whom they can train easily. Honestly, if I were in your position I won't want to apply for the cc job.

Above is my personal opinion and a honest answer to your question. :(

Abercrombie
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Abercrombie » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 10:54 pm

tengyteng wrote:I got the call from HR asking for confirmation of my availability today.
However she told me to get a letter from my uni when i officially grad in 2 months (no cert yet). Didnt confirm anything else with me though.

Someone from my groyp has already received confirmation to start flying. So this must mean that the medical results are already out.

This left me wondering if im on KIV, or is it possible that i will be rejected at this point since she called to confirm my availability and stated nothing else?
You are in liao that's why they ask you to send in your cert. You can only start 2 months later so its KIV case so they can't confirm with you anything and can only confirm after you show them the cert, just incase you smoke them or something drastic happen in the next 2 months that they have to stop all recruitment which is highly impossible.

tomandjerryonwards

Post by tomandjerryonwards » Sat, 02 Jun 2012 4:00 am

tengyteng wrote:I got the call from HR asking for confirmation of my availability today.

Were you from May 19th interview's batch?

tHeOrY-

Post by tHeOrY- » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 4:29 am

hello, im new here! just wondering what are the interview stages like now?
thank you!

bluewire

Post by bluewire » Sun, 03 Jun 2012 4:47 pm

Hi, I'm looking forward to go for the interview!
I'm deaf on my left year though, but it does not affect my daily life. Do you all think this will affect me?

What about the stages in the medical checkup? What do they do for the hearing part of it?

Thanks for helping me!

nires

Post by nires » Mon, 04 Jun 2012 12:53 pm

Dear Mr. SS Tan,

i'm turning 31 end of this year, am I too old to try for SIA stewardess position? i heard they increase the age limit.

hear from you soon.
thanks.

sstan123
Regular
Regular

Post by sstan123 » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 11:39 am

nires wrote:Dear Mr. SS Tan,

i'm turning 31 end of this year, am I too old to try for SIA stewardess position? i heard they increase the age limit.

hear from you soon.
thanks.
In my opinion 31 is a little " old". Why would they want you when they can get girls at 18 yrs old? Of course, there is always an exception i.e. if you look much younger than 31 and you have that X factor which the younger girls do not have.

Rosemoon
Regular
Regular

HI

Post by Rosemoon » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 2:50 pm

HOW DO EX-CREW APPLY AGAIN

Shirlxl

Re: HI

Post by Shirlxl » Tue, 05 Jun 2012 3:08 pm

Rosemoon wrote:HOW DO EX-CREW APPLY AGAIN

According to my knowledge, ex-crew cabin have to undergo the same procedure assessment as everyone else. Meaning you will have to go and queue at their walk in interviews like everyone else.