Singapore Expats

Baby Stuff - Where to find?

Discuss parenting issues with other moms here.
MrBear
Regular
Regular

Baby Stuff - Where to find?

Post by MrBear » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:51 pm

Hi All,

I'm not a Mum to be but do have one in my house :)

We are both getting very excited and starting to think where do we go to get baby stuff, pushchairs, cots and such things.

Apart from seeing stuff at KK Hospital where else is a good place to go and have a look and talk to someone who can give us some advise rather than hard sell?

Thanks

MrB :???:
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears!

parents2B

Post by parents2B » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 1:57 pm

Hi,

Don't know which part of Singapore you live in, and don't know if you have a car, as travelling to some places may be too inconvenient just to save like $20, but here's a list of shops:

Mothercare at Harbourfront (not Vivocity). There are many Mothercare shops in town but the one at Harbourfront is the largest.

There is also Mothers Work at Great World City/Tanglin Mall/MBS, but that's pricier.

Alternatively, there is Kiddy Palace (try the one at Toa Payoh, the largest shop as well)- they also have a wide range of items and (probably) the cheapest of the three.

Then you have Babyhyperstore and Baby Kingdom, both less than 5 mins walk from each other. One of them has a wide range of carseats, but I can't remember which one!

Kidzloft at Upper Thomson also has some items (not much I feel), but if they still have this promotion, you get like 50% off everything if you just write down your OBGYN's name in their book and for the first birthday, you also get 50% off everything. I find that they did (not sure about now) have the widest range of this particular swaddle from Gr8 which I love. But that's all there is in that part of Singapore, and you need a car to get there and unless you live in that part, you might want to give it a miss.

Baby Avenue at Balestier

Piccolo House

Wild Child - upmarket. Ann Siang Hill. Check if they are still around. Gorgeous but also very expensive. e.g. I wanted to get a Moses Basket for my son and the cheapest one there (at that time, in 2009) was over S$500.

Of course, there is also Ikea for beds, changing tables, change mats, etc!

Hope this helps.

parents2B

Post by parents2B » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 1:57 pm

Oh and congrats soon-to-be-parents! :-)

MrBear
Regular
Regular

Post by MrBear » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 3:18 pm

parents2B wrote:Oh and congrats soon-to-be-parents! :-)

And thanks for the info, just had a look on the mothercare site and they have a few stores dotted about. We live in the East but often around Vivo area so will swing by there to check it out.

Also I completely forgot about the Great IKEA, guess where I'll be going this weekend :-|

Thanks again
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears!

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 4:05 pm

Also check out the New Mothers Support Group here in Singapore. They have a Facebook page, and the moms there are always posting good gently used baby items for sale. A lot of things that someone tells you are invaluable you may never end up using, so IMO it's worth waiting to see what your baby is like, and how you and your wife (I'm presuming...?) adapts in your parenting style. For example, some folks swear by baby swings/bouncy chair things in the first few weeks whereas I preferred and enjoyed wearing my baby in a wrap most of the day.

Make a list of essentials (crib, stroller, car seat, etc) vs. "would like to try" items. Preparing for a baby can be overwhelming and shopkeepers/product developers will seize on that feeling and sell you just about anything.

That said, I'd second all the suggestions that parents2B made. BabyHyperstore is the one with all the carseats and strollers. Good deals there, especially on previous years' models.

merichan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by merichan » Fri, 01 Jun 2012 6:03 pm

check also Toys'r'Us they have a quite large selection.

jennifersweet

Post by jennifersweet » Fri, 08 Jun 2012 11:45 am

Thanks for sharing

I am looking for baby stuffs now.

singnewbie

Post by singnewbie » Sun, 26 Aug 2012 3:34 pm

there are couple of online shops - we have been buying from www.agapebabies.com - great prices on California Baby, Desitin, food, and other useful products.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Aug 2012 4:46 pm

Singnewbie,

As you are not a Sing Newbie at all, but a local Singaporean, who has just registered today to post your link, do you think we should be suspicious about the fact that you are probably pushing a site in which you probably have a financial interest in, therefore you could probably be construed as advertising in violation of that Orange Banner just above where you posted...

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers