Singapore Expats

Advice for accommodation bellow S$2k

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Rental Levels

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 19 May 2012 8:46 am

Beyond_Redemption wrote:SMS, JR8 & Beppi
You folks obviously are very plugged in to the market situation, so I am a bit confused here !

I am currently outside SG and hoping to move there soon & according to my research on Craigslist and the HDB & URA Median Rentals info (which is obviously "business done" data - not the inflated expectations of brokers you see on most of the property sites) it seems that there are even many whole unit furnished condos (albeit 500 sq ft types) in Bishan / Hillview type areas that you can get around 1.5 K ! Even I was surprised

But then I notice that posters are VERY sloppy about clarifying whether the ad is for a room or the whole unit

But surely the HDB rental info for Q1 2012 seem to suggest mucho HDB whole units under 2K ? Almost can't believe it (of course these are Median # s)

So my Q for you ..SMS, JR8 & Beppi...is what am I missing? Just want to make sure I approach the research in the right way and don't get a nasty surprise on arrival!
Yeah, a lot of those low-ball prices are for rooms only. If it's is a room in a three-bedroom, they will post it as a three-bedroom unit.

The HDB rental info intrigued me also, as it puts my unit at more than 20% over median in my estate.

Beyond_Redemption

Post by Beyond_Redemption » Sat, 19 May 2012 3:20 pm

Tks for the clarifications Guys ..

> 9980 ...Did you negotiate at all ? When did you start this "20% over..." lease

This HDB info must be hard fact (as I presume LL s have to provide this data to HDB ?) - of course all LL s will expect to be over the Median :P

cdxpat

Recent viewing

Post by cdxpat » Tue, 29 May 2012 11:01 am

The guidelines I got from my own searching here

Under 3K HDB or horrible Apt (there are some very nice HDBs)

3K to 4K

close to MRT: older larger apartments but very often your neighbors will be packing 6 to an apartment with either software engineers or working girls. Sorry to stereotype but looking last year it surprised me how many times iI saw mattresses piled up against walls. I saw two places where telesales were being run out of an older condo by teams of 5 or 6 people.

Remote areas: decent apartments but hard to get to.

4K+ decent places

I keep hearing people say that great apartments close to MRTs exist for under 4K but I cant find them.

A good friend of mine just let her nice 2 Bed HDB close to Buona Vista station for 3K per month so I'm not sure the rental market has softened yet but I believe it has to.

There do seem to be a lot of empty apartments at the moment if you look at night. An agent told me that a lot of Chinese owners buy and just leave empty which surprised me since newer places can have S$500 per maintenance fees on them for the pool,security, lifts etc.

A tax on non-occupied units might help bring rentals down this although i dont know how it would be implemented.

SV1231

Post by SV1231 » Wed, 30 May 2012 12:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: It wouldn't surprise me to see 4 room HDB's start going for 1.8~2K again.
You are right (as usual).

I rented a 4R HDB flat in sembawang for $1850.
Its semi furnished (Includes dining table, AC, Washing machine, 1 wooden almirah)..

But my case was slightly different I told agent that his fees would be inversely proportional to the rent I pay.. so the more rent I pay .. the less I pay towards agency fee & vice versa..

So I mentioned that I believe that the fair rental value of this flat is 2K.. I will top up ur agency fee of 2K with any reduction you get me on Rent.

He negotiated 7 reduced it by $150. I paid him $2150 (2000 Agency fee+ 150 incentive for getting a good rental)..

Worked well for everyone involved..

Btw mine is 9 mins walking from the MRT station.. and 3rd stop via bus
In the Long Run We Are All Dead

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 30 May 2012 12:34 pm

SV1231 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: It wouldn't surprise me to see 4 room HDB's start going for 1.8~2K again.
You are right (as usual).

I rented a 4R HDB flat in sembawang for $1850.
Its semi furnished (Includes dining table, AC, Washing machine, 1 wooden almirah)..

But my case was slightly different I told agent that his fees would be inversely proportional to the rent I pay.. so the more rent I pay .. the less I pay towards agency fee & vice versa..

So I mentioned that I believe that the fair rental value of this flat is 2K.. I will top up ur agency fee of 2K with any reduction you get me on Rent.

He negotiated 7 reduced it by $150. I paid him $2150 (2000 Agency fee+ 150 incentive for getting a good rental)..

Worked well for everyone involved..

Btw mine is 9 mins walking from the MRT station.. and 3rd stop via bus
You mean it worked? Wow... :o

SV1231

Post by SV1231 » Wed, 30 May 2012 12:52 pm

the lynx wrote:
You mean it worked? Wow... :o[/quote]

You bet!! :D
In the Long Run We Are All Dead

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 May 2012 1:06 pm

Good logic and one that the agent would have a hard time not accepting as the harder he/she works for the renter the more money they will make. That the name of the game. Good Job! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 30 May 2012 1:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good logic and one that the agent would have a hard time not accepting as the harder he/she works for the renter the more money they will make. That the name of the game. Good Job! :wink:
I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD DO THIS! THIS WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING!

(Yes, I shouted).
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."