Singapore Expats

PR Approval Enquiry - Thanks for your advice!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Duamutef_MC

PR Approval Enquiry - Thanks for your advice!

Post by Duamutef_MC » Thu, 24 May 2012 12:14 pm

Hello guys; I'm new to the forum, hope we will get along! :)

I work as Aerospace/Aviation lecturer for a private college. I have an EP (level P2), and I make between 5k and 6k a month (depending if I have extra work to do!)

My EP will expire in August 2013, and I was thinking about applying for the PR in January 2013, after having been living and working in Singapore for 16 months.

I would like to know if - in your opinion - I have good chances. I am 29 years old, Italian caucasian, and my wife is a Central American hispanic, my same age (she is a pastry executive chef - she's not been looking for a job, at least for now).

My Employment Pass was approved the day after the application was presented, via the online system.

Since I saw that the Aerospace sector is going well in Singapore, and that teachers and lecturers are in demand, I thought I could have a fairly good chance (50-65%) to secure the PR status. Is that a sin of optimism?

Please make me know; your opinion, as well as your constructive feedback, are well accepted. Thank you in advance! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 May 2012 12:50 pm

As you are a) westerner; b) in an industry that Singapore really likes; and c) and educator as well, I would think that there is a good possibility that you "might" be considered. However, I feel that 2 years is a better option before applying.

My questions, if I were an immigration officer, is why would you want to become a PR after only being here for 16 months. It's hardly enough time to get to know the country and whether is would be conducive to "permanent" residence. Or, are you just here for the longer duration and trying to protect your visa status? These are the questions that the officer will be thinking while going through your application......

However, having said that, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Unless they tell you other wise (e.g., rejected, but you are welcome to stay here on an EP), you can always reapply once you have been here two or three years.

Good Luck

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Duamutef_MC

Post by Duamutef_MC » Thu, 24 May 2012 1:29 pm

Dear SMS;

Thank you very much for your insight!

One of the main reason I want to become a PR is gaining long-term stability for me and my wife, since we plan to have kids. Also, PR status grants you access to the CPF system, which I would like to contribute to.

By the way, I'll do as you recommend. I hope I'll have luck. If not, will try getting a second two-years permit and then try my luck with the PR!

Thanks again for your time; have a wonderful day. :D

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 24 May 2012 5:57 pm

You can also apply for a PEP after two years as a P2. That's basically a 5-year EP not tied to any specific job position. You can even be out of work up to six months on it.

MrBear
Regular
Regular

Post by MrBear » Thu, 31 May 2012 10:18 am

zzm9980 wrote:You can also apply for a PEP after two years as a P2. That's basically a 5-year EP not tied to any specific job position. You can even be out of work up to six months on it.
I would 2nd this option, I switched from an EP to PEP after 1.5 years. its very easy to do on line with your Singpass and you will get an answer withing 14 days.

Stick on your PEP for few years then apply for PR, shows that you are taking yoru time in making that choice and not just doing it for a visa.
The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to arm bears!