Singapore Expats

Ep rejected, why???

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
lordligan

Ep rejected, why???

Post by lordligan » Thu, 17 May 2012 11:33 pm

Hi all,

I have encountered some unexpected problems with my EP application which I thought and hoped was going to straight forward, but unfortunately it wasn't. Now I am analyzing day and night to try to understand, if anyone has any suggestion what could be wrong please do highlight them. I did get a notification that my Diploma required official translation I did submit that, but still rejected?. Since I am overseas for business purposes I have not been able to arrange a meeting with MOM.

This was the facts stated in first application:

- I have been working in Singapore for more than two years. First year working under P1 EP for a PTE LTD registered company in Singapore. Second year I had an entrepreneur pass since I established my own company (PTE LTD).

- Company supplies consultant services for the oil & gas business, such as engineering, management, commissioning.

- 90% share holder.

- Salary 8000sgd.

- Norwegian

- - Diploma in engineering.

- Approved electrical installation engineer. Approved by Norwegian authorities.

- Work experience of more than 13 years.

- Relevant experience more than 6 years.

- My company paid up capital S$50.000.

- The first year my company had S$200.000 + profit.

- Projected profit 2012 S$250.000 – 300.000

- Currently holding a contract from my client which is the world leading - - company within oil & gas.

- Excellent testimonials.

- No local employees.

- Company has local director.

This has been included in my appeal:

- Increased salary to S$11000 since business is going good.

- No other than myself can run my company since the main asset for the company is knowledge and experience which is hard to find locally.

- Diploma in project management (I did not have the original when my original application was submitted).

- Confirmation from my client that I am absolutely required.

Any idea whats missing??. Maybe I am blunt, but I thought I had it all :)
Last edited by lordligan on Sat, 19 May 2012 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Ep rejected, why???

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:32 am

lordligan wrote: - Second year I had an entrepreneur pass since I established my own company (PTE LTD).

- 90% share holder.

- My company paid up capital S$50.000.

- The first year my company had S$200.000 + profit.

- Projected profit 2012 S$250.000 – 300.000

- No local employees.
My suspicion is it is somewhere in the points I quoted above. At first glance, your company to me sounds like a mechanism for you to be be employed and remain in Singapore, and not much else.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:49 am

I'm afraid I would have to agree. You are not adding anything to the local economy but only working for yourself. Under the new Entrepass rules, you fail.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Nailah
Regular
Regular

Re: Ep rejected, why???

Post by Nailah » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:51 am

lordligan wrote:- No local employees.
... this maybe?

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Fri, 18 May 2012 2:00 pm

you need to have 2 local skilled staff for the 1st renewal...and a total business spending of S$100,000..

all of those stuff you mentioned wont matter if they don't see these two criteria fulfilled..

lordligan

Post by lordligan » Fri, 18 May 2012 8:48 pm

Thanks for feedback everyone, much appreciated.
Last edited by lordligan on Sat, 19 May 2012 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 May 2012 8:54 pm

As someone who worked in the O&G sector for 20 years, Prior to the entrepass scheme, they were hired by the client/service contractor/constructor/oil company/drilling company. You are only kidding yourself. I've been in that business and another 14 years as a headhunter also specializing in that industry. And yes, the entrepass criteria underwent a massive change last year to get rid of all the abusers who are not contributing directly to Singapore's economy.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lordligan

Post by lordligan » Fri, 18 May 2012 9:40 pm

Maybe my first post was not clear enough. I have not applied for a renewal of the ENTREPASS due to the facts you are stating, but applied for employment pass. If my application does go tits up at the end of the day will I stand a better chance by having the clients company to apply for me i.e. employed by them for the duration of the projects?
Last edited by lordligan on Sat, 19 May 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:23 pm

What company is applied for the Employment Pass? Your own Pte Ltd Company, right? If you were here on a Entrepass, you had to be on an EP. As yourr EP you can no longer work in your company. Now that the rules to keep the Entrepass have changed, you no longer qualify for the Entrepass. Therefore you cannot apply for an EP yourself.

Only a company can apply for an EP. This means the only way you are going to work is to get the contractor/drilling Company/ Shipyard, whatever, to hire you as an employee and apply for the EP and you will be working for a salary from them. That is assuming that MOM will give the employer the EP.

I read you post just fine. You just don't understand what needs to be done. You might check my profile as well.

You are not in the Land of the Rising Sun (Japan)
You are in the Land of the Constantly Changing Goalposts (Singapore)

lordligan

Post by lordligan » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:37 pm

Let me also add that the verb abuse means; "to use wrongly, usually with harmful results." I am not one of those, not intentionally anyway. I am here to work hard for my client and show outstanding results by getting these vessels out on time within budget, If the Singapore authorities wont allow that, its nothing I can do about it. Furthermore let me be clear that If my client(s) approaches me and ask If I can provide some local people to fill a position in the projects I would be delighted to do so (more money to me then! :) ). if I could find the right people that is, which is not so easy nowadays. As you obviously know after extensive experience in that particular business its all about experience, reputation, track record within a certain area or niche.
Anyway its all up to MOM for their kind consideration rather than what I believe :) thanks for your ideas, and thoughts around the subject.

lordligan

Post by lordligan » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:45 pm

Sundaymorningstaple. My secritary has been in contact with MOM and its perfectly OK for me to apply for a EP in my own company. That’s not a problem at all, one of my colleagues did this like 8 month ago no problemo. How ever the requirement is that the company has to be "older" than 6 month do so which mine is, but due to this I had to go for a entre pass prior setting up my company. But I agree that the lack of local employers might be the lock on the door. Lets see, I will keep you (Goal) posted :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 18 May 2012 11:51 pm

I never said you couldn't apply for an EP with your own company. Please read for content. I said your company is no longer qualified under the EntrePass scheme to operate therefore the company can no longer sponsor you for the EP. Because of this, you need to be hired as an employee by another company. The lack of local employees is what is causing the Entrepass to be withdrawn/cancelled.

Also, what other's did is immaterial as each and every case is different. There is NO one size fits all. Also, call MOM 6 times and I guarantee you will get at least three different answers.

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bluenose » Sat, 19 May 2012 11:08 am

I work in the oil and gas sector in the shipyard and have my own company and my own EP.... and work on all the same projects as you do probably...
You on the other hand if that valuable with all sorts of people writing letters for you....seems strange that they have not applied for an EP for you sooner if you are in fact that valuable?
Possibly there are others out there with all the correct criteria to live here than can actually do your job....and possibly the Singapore MOM realise that?
I also note your salary was only 8k which is the bare minimum for P1 and I am sure no-one with your qualifications and letters from all sorts of people is really earning that little amount.....but it does keep you in Singapore paying little tax???

lordligan

Post by lordligan » Sat, 19 May 2012 7:40 pm

Bluenose. I am not sure when you say they should apply sooner? Anyway my secretary is responsible for doing that application, and she submit the application more than 2 month prior expire of my current entrepass, and we still have some time left :) .
When it comes to your salary question mark. Of course I charge my clients higher than that per month, but I don’t need to go into all the details on how I run the company financially, but of course its related to tax. Since I submitted all my accounts and other details to MOM it might be that they got a bit "pissed" of that my salary was so much lower than it could/should be that’s why I have officially reported it to be higher this time with effect from 1/5/2012.

To sum up the comments so far:

1. Company with no local employees.

2. Salary to low.

Obviously number one I cant do anything about, second one I have already done some adjustment. I will try to make an appointment with the MOM officer when I get back to Singapore and see what we can sort out.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 May 2012 9:30 pm

lordligan wrote:Bluenose. I am not sure when you say they should apply sooner? Anyway my secretary is responsible for doing that application, and she submit the application more than 2 month prior expire of my current entrepass, and we still have some time left :) .
When it comes to your salary question mark. Of course I charge my clients higher than that per month, but I don’t need to go into all the details on how I run the company financially, but of course its related to tax. Since I submitted all my accounts and other details to MOM it might be that they got a bit "pissed" of that my salary was so much lower than it could/should be that’s why I have officially reported it to be higher this time with effect from 1/5/2012.

To sum up the comments so far:

1. Company with no local employees.

2. Salary to low.

Obviously number one I cant do anything about, second one I have already done some adjustment. I will try to make an appointment with the MOM officer when I get back to Singapore and see what we can sort out.
Bet you have also taken the balance of income in Dividend income. If so, they are wise to that tax dodge and that may well be another reason... They are not as stupid as you would like to think they are. You also need to remember that now ALL the individual Government databases in Singapore are now linked so it's no problem to garner all the info with the deft entry of your FIN number (which is also your tax number as well).

And, as noted, you aren't showing the requisite "spend" either (local valid & legal expenses (other than salaries) as we pointed out in an earlier post.