Singapore Expats

Why dating sites for SG don't work for Indians? :)

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
Darthcoder
Regular
Regular

Post by Darthcoder » Mon, 23 Apr 2012 4:02 pm

Man SMS what did the Indians do to you? I mean why so much hatred? :O
And do you only hate Indians or people of other communities too? Indians are on the top of your list I guess.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Apr 2012 5:25 pm

How little you know. In fact I was at a Tamil New Year celebration Saturday evening at our community CC with my Tamil wife. and grand neice. Had a splendid time. I normally do.

Hate has no more to do with it than crankycrab's simplistic excuse for it. Lots of these "stereotype" Typecasts he says they are unable to break? Why is that? Especially when a lot have had quite a few years outside of India. Look, it's not me that is acting out their fantasies and think they are dog's gift to the opposite gender. I've got mine and I don't need any others. Even when we are separated by countries......

Basically, if you act like a jerk, you get treated like a jerk. Simple.

And that explains the whole case! :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 23 Apr 2012 6:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: I've got mine and I don't need any others. Even when we are separated by countries......

Basically, if you act like a jerk, you get treated like a jerk. Simple.

And that explains the whole case! :wink:

Not wishing to wade into the middle of this discussion. But re: the above I just wanted to say Bravo... +1!

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Fri, 11 May 2012 11:29 am

madaboutplastic wrote:indians are fantastic to hang out with as friends. only when u get to know them on a personal level and they look beyond u as a vagina.

however, the typical mindset of indian boy would have been the likes of what ive met on a social gathering last week.

Me "Hi, my name is T. I work in the financial sector. What do you do?"

Indian guy "Hi, I work as AN EXPAT"

Me "..."
Wow, arrogance at its best... I have no clue why someone would think that saying I am an expat could be a turn ON. I don't want to go too harsh against the guy, but can't stop myself from saying MORON

Nailah
Regular
Regular

Post by Nailah » Wed, 16 May 2012 5:58 pm

madaboutplastic wrote:Indian guy "Hi, I work as AN EXPAT"

Me "..."
I once got a "Hi I'm from England" before even learning his name...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 May 2012 6:03 pm

As I've said, certain patterns emerge.......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Thu, 17 May 2012 3:36 am

Wish there was a shot that I could give to ALMOST all Indians which would teach them how to be a human first (not an expat or from England or watever) and another shot of reality (reality reality not augmented reality) to all the Indians who try to defend the behavior by trying to explain cultural differences and what not.

Did someone say matrix...

Long ago, in my high school I learnt "more you try to reason your error, more you piss others off. Just accept your mistake and go fix it."

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Thu, 17 May 2012 4:05 am

the lynx wrote:Well he is right in a way. Salwar kurta is the common outfit worn by 'normal' Indian women there on daily basis. Sarees (probably the ones portrayed often by international media - AND Bollywood) are usually for something more ceremonious.
In South Africa the Indian women wear sarees on a daily basis. Rarely do they wear the Salwar Kurta - if not in a saree they're in western dress.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 17 May 2012 9:50 am

carteki wrote:
the lynx wrote:Well he is right in a way. Salwar kurta is the common outfit worn by 'normal' Indian women there on daily basis. Sarees (probably the ones portrayed often by international media - AND Bollywood) are usually for something more ceremonious.
In South Africa the Indian women wear sarees on a daily basis. Rarely do they wear the Salwar Kurta - if not in a saree they're in western dress.
That's interesting. I find wearing sarees on daily basis is a little OTT. I actually own a set of sarees and salwar kurta each and I find salwar kurta easier to pull off and has lower risk of wardrobe malfunction (if you know what I mean).

Maybe sarees for super duper special and elaborate cultural occasion.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Thu, 17 May 2012 1:07 pm

the lynx wrote:
carteki wrote:
That's interesting. I find wearing sarees on daily basis is a little OTT. I actually own a set of sarees and salwar kurta each and I find salwar kurta easier to pull off and has lower risk of wardrobe malfunction (if you know what I mean).

You should watch some of those Indian soaps...the women are all decked up in Sarees, costume jewellery and make-up to match morning, noon and even when they go to bed at night! :roll:
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 17 May 2012 1:19 pm

intellectualsmuse wrote:
the lynx wrote:
carteki wrote: In South Africa the Indian women wear sarees on a daily basis. Rarely do they wear the Salwar Kurta - if not in a saree they're in western dress.

You should watch some of those Indian soaps...the women are all decked up in Sarees, costume jewellery and make-up to match morning, noon and even when they go to bed at night! :roll:
OK so was I right in assuming that salwar kurta is the actual daily wear for Indian women? (based on my observations in Malaysia and Singapore) I have not been to India before so I can't be sure of what is daily and what is OTT - yet.

I have learned long time ago not believe what I see in Bollywood and Kollywood :P

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 May 2012 7:44 pm

the lynx wrote:I find wearing sarees on daily basis is a little OTT. I actually own a set of sarees and salwar kurta each and I find salwar kurta easier to pull off and has lower risk of wardrobe malfunction (if you know what I mean
Ease of getting your kit off, good focus! :P

amberblush

Post by amberblush » Fri, 18 May 2012 10:55 am

I think it's a bit a shocking how harsh everyone is being on this guy. He seemed to be asking a genuine question to figure out why. Why throw on the hate as if he embodies every bad quality?

Given, there are several valid points based on the pattern among such men -- totally relevant as we are discussing why women are put off from the get go, they are surely drawing on their previous experience/impressions. But some of the generalizations made here are pretty offensive. Esp in the way they are being expressed.

I think haters are worse than the arrogant folk being discussed.

intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter

Post by intellectualsmuse » Sat, 19 May 2012 10:38 am

the lynx wrote:
intellectualsmuse wrote:
the lynx wrote: That's interesting. I find wearing sarees on daily basis is a little OTT. I actually own a set of sarees and salwar kurta each and I find salwar kurta easier to pull off and has lower risk of wardrobe malfunction (if you know what I mean).

OK so was I right in assuming that salwar kurta is the actual daily wear for Indian women? (based on my observations in Malaysia and Singapore) I have not been to India before so I can't be sure of what is daily and what is OTT - yet.

I have learned long time ago not believe what I see in Bollywood and Kollywood :P
Traditionally saris have been popular as daily wear in certain parts of the country while salwar kameez has been popular in others. With changing times salwar kameez is becoming increasing popular because its convenient.
In urban areas/cities jeans are the norm though, for most young women especially college-goers.
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.